Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Shakedry demise
  • murdooverthehill

Bit of a bummer if this is correct, it’s truly amazing stuff.
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/shakedry-fabric-is-set-to-be-retired-by-gore/

footflaps

Might have to buy a second jacket!

boblo
    Free Member

Aye I’m hoping the ‘they won’t have done it without an alternative in the pipeline’ comment is true. The Shakedry is the single best Gore product I’ve had since my first Gore-Tex jacket in the early ’80’s and I’m a serial Gore-Tex fetisher.

I’ve a 1985 on the go ATM with a spare Idro in the wings for when it gives up/I shred it falling off. To be fair, the 1985 has been down the road in quite a big way and survived unlike the bike/helmet/Edge/vertebrae 😔

DrJ

Any recommendations for a Shakedry jacket that isn’t eye-wateringly expensive? Or is that a contradiction in terms?

beej

Reading the release, sounds like they will still be selling Gore branded ShakeDry but will stop supplying the fabric to others. If they are having supply chain issues it makes sense for them to use the limited amount they can make for their own clothing, the margins will be higher.

Gore-Tex Shakedry is and will remain a central part of Gorewear product offering to serve the needs of endurance athletes in all weather conditions. Unfortunately, the Gore-Tex Shakedry technology is no longer offered by Gore Fabrics due to ongoing supply challenges, but we are excited about the Gore-Tex Shakedry technology and therefore did invest into our inventory position last year to ensure we can offer it until the current inventory runs out

First sentence is key – there’s a distinction being made between Gorewear and Gore Fabrics.

13thfloormonk

I’ve ended up with two of them also! Needless to say didn’t pay for both.

They only come out on the road bike which should see them last a bit longer, still can’t bring myself to wear them on anything remotely muddy or potentially crashy/undergrowth snaggy.

boblo
    Free Member

@beej Thanks for that. I skimmed straight over it in a state of flux/consternation.

So, as you were. My favorite 1985 C5 is still going to be available (maybe). Huzzah!

dovebiker

I bought an insulated Shakedry jacket a couple of years ago at half price – brilliant jacket for wet days down to zero, the only annoying thing is one tiny pocket and the Velcro on the collar

ratherbeintobago

still can’t bring myself to wear them on anything remotely muddy or potentially crashy/undergrowth snaggy

Surely that’s the problem? Too fragile for off road, and too black for on road in adverse weather?

c_klein87

Slight hijack but any tips on making shakedry jackets actually waterproof again? Mine is a few years old but seems to wet out pretty easily!

imnotverygood

and too black for on road in adverse weather?

Carry lights on the bike?

footflaps

Any recommendations for a Shakedry jacket that isn’t eye-wateringly expensive? Or is that a contradiction in terms?

Rapha are the cheapest out there. Not something you’d expect to hear!

13thfloormonk

too black for on road in adverse weather?

I don’t put my faith in bright colours anyway, actually quite recently watching a commuter ride through town with no lights but a high Viz jacket, the jacket was next to useless!

I’ll use a rear light for virtually any ride that isn’t full summer bike conditions. Keep meaning to add some reflective ankle bracelets as well, very effective!

footflaps

I’ll use a rear light for virtually any ride that isn’t full summer bike conditions.

Yep, I ride with day running flashing LEDs pretty much all the time, they’re so small and cheap now – just seems daft not to.

whytetrash

Rapha with 25% off…. im seriously tempted to buy a second one as a future investment 😉

Apparently Castelli have access to a fabric with identical performance

It’s a truly amazing fabric… its super breathable and as waterproof as a black bin bag!

turboferret

@<span class=”bbp-author-name”>c_klein87</span> there is a difference between being waterproof and wetting out.  When a breathable fabric wets out on the surface, it impacts the ability of the fabric to pass vapor through, so folk often think it’s no longer waterproof.  It is, it’s just lost the breathability, so sweat condensates on the inner surface.  A Gore fabric wash liquid should replenish the DWR coating and it should be close to good as new.

frogstomp

If anyone’s a size small and wants a ‘cheap’ option, SportPursuit have the Mavic Lombarde SL for £99 (decent review).

boblo
    Free Member

AIUI there is no DWR or additional fabric layers on Shakedry which is why it’s very breathable and longer lasting. Early Gore-Tex ‘failed’ as body oils contaminated the PTFE layer which made it porous. They added a PU coating which stopped it leaking and vastly reduced breathability. The magic of Shakedry is they’ve (seemingly) solved the body oils issue and done away with the layer fabrics saving weight/bulk and improving breathability. Again, IIRC, Event did away with the PU coating but relied on proper care (frequent washing) to avoid contamination which is why it was more breathable than Gore-Tex.

That body oils issue was found in the mid 70’s with the Berghaus Mistral. One of the first ‘over here’. Which is why it was taken off the market whilst Gore solved the problem.

13thfloormonk

Event did away with the PU coating but relied on proper care (frequent washing) to avoid contamination

Aaaaaah… this explains so much! I basically lived in an eVent waterproof for a week if hiking and canoeing one summer. In that time the back of the neck went a funny colour and almost started leaking via osmosis. I think at the time I compared it to greaseproof paper as it almost looked transparent 🙄

The beauty of Shakedry for me is no reliance on trying to replenish a DWR. I think they’re a bit of a cop out and am not a fan of tumble drying expensive jackets, no matter whether the manufacturer says it’s OK or not (looking at you here Arcteryx, there’s definitely some localised delamination of my fancy Beta AR hillwalking jacket 😭).

For what it’s worth I still avoid skin-to-jacjet contact if I can, just a thin pair of arm warmers will suffice.

FuzzyWuzzy

Slight hijack but any tips on making shakedry jackets actually waterproof again? Mine is a few years old but seems to wet out pretty easily!

That’s a bit worrying – I thought the whole point of Shakedry was that without relying on a DWR coating their performance shouldn’t deteriorate over the years? I guess it’s outside of any warranty, might be worth asking Gore directly though as they might offer you a cheap replacement or something.

silasgreenback

Too fragile for off road, and too black for on road in adverse weather?

Bit off topic but the safest time of year for me is winter. Wearing all black. Absolutely 0 reflecticve kit. I use Outbound Lighting on the bars with a single rear light on the back. I look like a motorbike from the front. It’s noticeable how cars stop where in summer they would normally pull in front of me.

Most people will think twice about pulling out in front of a motorbike or knocking them off / killing them. Cyclists on the other hand….tis only a cyclist, they’re slow and there’s no comeback killing one!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve had my shakedry since summer. Best bit of kit I’ve ever owned. I’m sure something similar if not better(!) will become available. I’ll look into this new Castelli offering.

Just to add, I also feel safer in winter wearing black with lights on my bike than high vis in the summer… Lots of unlit country lanes around here and cars see my lights before they see what I’m wearing.

13thfloormonk

That’s a bit worrying – I thought the whole point of Shakedry was that without relying on a DWR coating their performance shouldn’t deteriorate over the years?

I guess any accumulated grime/oils (see posts above) would cause it to wet out? Am sure I read a road.cc review that mentioned you still had to wash them now and then

DrJ

Rapha are the cheapest out there. Not something you’d expect to hear!

That’s for sure. Any idea how they are for size? How many sizes up I have to go to get it over my porky personage?

footflaps

Any idea how they are for size? How many sizes up I have to go to get it over my porky personage?

So mine is an XL.

I am normally a Medium in T-shirts etc – IIRC 40″ chest ish.

I normally order 2 or 3 sizes with Rapha and just send back the ones which don’t fit as their sizing varies enormously between items! Eg I’m L in jerseys and gilets but XL or XXL in jackets….

They have photos of people wearing stuff on their website with captions like Bob is 6’2″ and wearing size Small, whereas I’m 5’9″ and have to get XXL! I’m sure they just make it up.

DrJ

They have photos of people wearing stuff on their website with captions like Bob is 6’2″ and wearing size Small, whereas I’m 5’9″ and have to get XXL! I’m sure they just make it up.

Yes, that seems to be common practice!! Another example – I have an Albion gilet in XXL. Accordiing to their website size guide that corresponds to chest size 111-117 cm. But the actual dimensions of the gilet itself are less than 111 !!

footflaps

Yes, they forgot to mention that Bob was a reject from a genetic breeding program where he ended up with the legs from a NA basketball pro, but the upper body of a 4 year old. They then went on to use him as the baseline for sizing their entire clothing range.

boblo
    Free Member

Yes, they forgot to mention that Bob was a reject from a genetic breeding program where he ended up with the legs from a NA basketball pro, but the upper body of a 4 year old. They then went on to use him as the baseline for sizing their entire clothing range

Oi! Do you mind… 🙃

I’m neither 6’2″ nor size small. I did manage to get into a Rapha medium jersey recently tho breathing was an optional extra 😊

footflaps

tho breathing was an optional extra 😊

I’ve put on a size large GTX jacket and would have wagered good money that if I breathed in I could blow the zip right off the fabric, yet I bought a Montane top in Small last week…

13thfloormonk

Buy the C7 stretch Shakedry then, the fit is incredible! Sadly the newer version isn’t quite as good as the ‘Cancellara’ version

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bit off topic but the safest time of year for me is winter. Wearing all black. Absolutely 0 reflecticve kit. I use Outbound Lighting on the bars with a single rear light on the back. I look like a motorbike from the front. It’s noticeable how cars stop where in summer they would normally pull in front of me.

+1

Went out on a horrible day for a lomg clubrun last year, dark, foggy, early start late finish. I’m the nerd in the high vis usually as I bought a nice endura gilet in the sales years ago and pretty much live in it for 6 months of the year, and someone at the back commented that of the whole group the only thing that was visible (from only short distance away) was the Smart 1/2 Watt clipped to my helmet.

I’d still avoid dark colors, but a couple of LED lights is far more effective for being seen.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve found the old c5 1985 perfect for my disfigurement whilst the Idro is both baggy and tight…

My c5 is about 5 years old and has been worn frequently, washed rarely and seriously crashed once. There are a few pin holes in it where it slid down the road that I’ve fixed with dots of seam sealer. It gets scrunched up and packed tight but doesn’t seem to be any the worst for it. Still breathes and beads like it did when new. A*.

DrJ

Buy the C7 stretch Shakedry then, the fit is incredible!

What does that actually mean? That it fits you? Or that it might fit me? 🙂

kuman
    Free Member

I got Ronhill x Mountain Equipment running jacket and it has been brilliant. Picked it up in sales for around £150 six months ago.
    It has hood that fits under helmet if needed, longer back and semi slim fitting. I have been in biblical rain in it and always kept me dry.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

A Gore fabric wash liquid should replenish the DWR coating and it should be close to good as new.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but I’ve done the reproofing dance many times over the years and while there is always improvement, I’ve never got anything like as effective as the original factory treatment.

13thfloormonk

What does that actually mean? That it fits you? Or that it might fit me?

Ha, fair point, but basically it’s far more likely to fit than a non-stretch version because it has big stretch panels behind the shoulders.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but I’ve done the reproofing dance

Ditto, but there shouldn’t be any need to reproof Shakedry as I understood it

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Ditto, but there shouldn’t be any need to reproof Shakedry as I understood it

Yeah, I’ve got one and that was one of the things that made the price easier to swallow!

boblo
    Free Member

@mrsalmon Appologes for the question but are you sure it’s Shakedry fabric?

If it’s any other form of Gore-Tex, the DWR is usually hard to recover to 100% once it’s gone off a bit. Fantastic when new but quickly goes off.

With Shakedry, it usually doesn’t falter much from as new performance IME.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

@mrsalmon Appologes for the question but are you sure it’s Shakedry fabric?

If it’s any other form of Gore-Tex, the DWR is usually hard to recover to 100% once it’s gone off a bit. Fantastic when new but quickly goes off.

With Shakedry, it usually doesn’t falter much from as new performance IME.

Yeah, I’ve got a Gore C5 which is definitely Shakedry and I haven’t attempted to reproof it! I was just picking up on turboferret’s post about wetting out and reproofing generally. Maybe this is the year I’ll try Paramo for hillwalking…

DrJ

At the other end of the price spectrum I was looking at the Endura GV500 which looks good value on the face of it. Any real world experience?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.