Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shadow+ rear mech jockey wheel problems
  • iain1775
    Free Member

Keep dropping the chain on my XT shadow+ mech
    Realised the chain is jumping off the lower jockey wheel and getting stuck between the jockey and mech cage
    Taking it apart it looked like the bearing cap on one side of the jockey has somehow been compressed into the side of the bearing housing, making the jockey sit not central in the cage
    Difficult to explain without pics (will try to get some pics tomorrow)
    It’s less than 5 months old and can’t have done more than 130 miles
    Anyone else experienced any issues?

coatesy
    Free Member

Try getting it (jockey wheel)replaced under warranty,it shouldn’t be like that and Madison are usually excellent with this kind of thing.

somafunk

Jockey wheels are not generally covered under warranty as they’re considered a wear & tear consumable item but you could try although it is just your word the mech has covered 130 miles and if the problem was there from new you should have brought it to their attention 129 miles ago, or look at it as a good excuse to buy some Hope jockey wheels.

Prob not what you wan’t to hear but Jockey wheels only cost £10 to replace anyway.

PaulD
    Free Member

Get some BBB jockeys from Dotbike for £12.82.
    Better than XT as they use a cartridge bearing for both.

http://www.dotbike.com/p/3992

PaulD

Leku
    Free Member

This happened to mine. I had assumed it was just bad luck..

iain1775
    Free Member

I got one of the Tiawanese metal sealed bearing ones from eBay for £6, will fit that send the old one back and see what they say
    Not bothered by warranty or not (although be nice) was just confused as never seen anything like it in 20 years, seemed an odd failure and wondered if anyone else had, interesting that Leku has

Somafunk, it’s not been like it from new, it’s obvious from looking at it something thats been gradually getting worse until it became noticeable when it started throwing the chain, not something you would notice until that happens, not many people split their derailler cage apart after each ride!

frazchops
    Free Member

Bloody hell just buy a pair of jockey wheels sheesht

iain1775
    Free Member

Er that’s what I’ve done, and had no problem doing, have you read any of the post frazchops?
    If not why comment, idiot

phil56

Have you checked if they’re in the right way round? The XTR ones are directional, not sure about the XT ones but as the shadow + clutch is the same on both they may well be. If you’ve taken the original ones out you’ll see a directional arrow in the centre moulding. For this reason as well I’d be surprised if 3rd party jockey wheels designed for non shadow + mechs would work OK.

somafunk

My new Hope machined jockey wheels work just fine in my Zee Shadow+ rear mech, they are directional and marked upper/lower with a directional arrow lasered on so you can’t **** up.

It’s hard to see how the bearing cap on your Jockey wheels could be compressed in any way possible? – i’m staring at an XT Shadow+ rear mech at the moment and i’ve got my one ride old original Zee shadow+ jockey wheels in front of me and the only conclusion i can come to is the chain possible jumped off the Jockey wheel and down the side of the rear mech plates and damaged the cap or they have been like that since new, a puzzler for sure, especially as Leku mentioned he had the same problem.

Any pics?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shadow+ rear mech jockey wheel problems’ is closed to new replies.