Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Shadow plus mechs?
  • MSP

They have been around a while now then, are users finding any noticeable difference to the standard shadow mechs?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Quieter.

But more bits to fail (have a search on here, there’s several threads about bits failing)

localhero94
    Free Member

Definitely quieter and less chain slap, but not enough extra tension to stop losing the chain on rougher descents. Overall for me, a good improvement and worth the extra cash.

JoeG
    Free Member

Much quieter; mine is fantastic! In a few years, I think it will be hard to find an MTB derailleur without one.

Northwind

Massive difference- I’ve got one bike with a 1×10 setup and a clutch, one with 1×9 and no clutch, both top guides- the latter drops the chain quite often, the former only ever does it during decent size crashes 😆 Also much quieter.

So I stuck one on my Hemlock, which used to use 2×9 with a stinger. Now it’s 2×9 with an XT clutch mech and no stinger, works better so far.

paulevans
    Free Member

Can anyone give me a little advice?

I’m thinking about getting either a SLX or XT clutch type mech, but am unsure as to what length cage i need. Presently running 2×10 with 36 on the rear block and 22/32(?) chainrings up front. I’m hoping to ditch the BS Stinger off my Tallboy LT.

iain1775
    Free Member

So I stuck one on my Hemlock, which used to use 2×9 with a stinger. Now it’s 2×9 with an XT clutch mech and no stinger, works better so far.

Does this work running 10 speed mech on 9 speed, I thought they pulled different cable ratios?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve got the Shadow Plus XT rear mech and the clutch thing stays switched off.
    There’s less chain slap so it’s quieter but I prefer the easier shifting with it switched off over the quieter ride.

When the current one dies, I’d be happy to replace it with a standard 10 speed mech.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Im dying to try mine out – had it fitted for 2 weeks but foul weather has kept it sat in the garage. Finally went out on Sunday – All the snow made for a great fun ride – but the rocks and bumps were all covered up so still none the wiser as to whether it makes a difference or not.

I couldn’t tell a difference in shifting with the clutch switched on and switched off though which is a good sign- was smooth either way.

svalgis
    Free Member

I couldn’t tell a difference in shifting with the clutch switched on and switched off though which is a good sign

Maybe it’s broken.

nickc

To work out rear mech total capacity

(Big ring – littlest ring) + ( biggest cog – littlest cog) = total capacity, a number followed by a T

Shimano

Lower than 29; short cage (SS)
    29-33 medium (GS)
    33+ long (SGS)

SRAM are slightly different ( obviously) 8)

Short 32
    Medium 32-37
    Long 37+

Northwind

For people who find the shifting heavy- I don’t, but I think they’re all adjustable? You can have the clutch spring high or low so it could be that yours are just a little high?

iain1775 – Member

Does this work running 10 speed mech on 9 speed, I thought they pulled different cable ratios?

You can mod the mech to run 9-speed on a SRAM shifter. Sorry, should have said, that was a bit misleading.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Maybe it’s broken

Maybe yours is broken

teasel
    Free Member

For people who find the shifting heavy- I don’t, but I think they’re all adjustable? You can have the clutch spring high or low so it could be that yours are just a little high?

I’m not sure where I read it but they’re also adjustable by putting the switch in different postions – anywhere between off and fully on is the idea.

IIRC it was on Pink Bike somewhere. I’ll have a quick gander sometime this evening.

svalgis
    Free Member

Maybe yours is broken

I’m just messing with you – I don’t really notice a difference in shifting either.

It’s definitely quieter though. If there was any doubt before, it became clear when I forgot to engage the clutch again after a wheel swap – took me a while to figure out what the racket was all about.

teasel
    Free Member
    curvature
    Free Member

I have just put an XT one on my HT and the shift is a little stiffer. However it is so much quieter that I shall also be putting one on my other bike too.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Thinking about it there is no reason for shifting to be affected. The cable pulls against the parallelagram which acts at 90 degrees to the cage so no component of the shifting force can act on the clutch.

The extra force required to pull the cage forward when you change up a gear comes from your legs via the chain.

If you change up while stationary the cage doesn’t move as your still in the same gear and have the same slack in the chain. This will feel the same clutch on or off. It’s only when you Cycle the peddles that the cage is pulled forwards.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Just gone to 1×10 from 2×9 fitted a Zee clutch with a top guide, super quiet and no chain slap on my local rocky DH

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I love it, much better than a normal mech but I am on my second one in as many months. Rear wheel wasn’t tight enough and came off, no play in chain = immediately snapped cage. Second one first ride today and it actually shock my rear hanger loose and on an Orange five that’s an achievement. So I think the usual vibrating is forced into the frame. If it broke again I’d get another without hesitation. Just that good.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Hmm – I suppose the extra force required to move the cage will be felt at the rear axle- qr not ideal then. Worth remembering to do up tight.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I think that’s why sram and shimano have come up with the stiffer direct mount system for 2013 bikes.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

They actually make a big point of showing with the new mount the back wheel can come off freely without snagging so they know very well what happens on standard mounts.
    http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=XW-0YnE1IbY

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

How is that possible. They are 10sp only, no?

orangeboy
    Free Member

My xtr one is not as quite as I’d hoped but most seem to find they need a little adjusting after te first few rides so that’s tomorrow’s job. But it’s a huge improvement over the non shadow one.

But I do prefer the SRAM type 2 just xtr was a pod chunk cheaper

Northwind

bristolbikeproject – Member

How is that possible. They are 10sp only, no?

1337 skillz involved. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/9-speed-sram-shifter-with-a-shimano-10-speed-clutch-rear-mech-will-it-work

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

Brilliant. Why dont Shimano just add that spacer?

Northwind

Doesn’t work with their 9-speed shifters, only SRAM 🙂 I think both SRAM and Shimano have both designed in incompatibility, to “encourage” people to swap to 10 speed entirely.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Shadow plus mechs?’ is closed to new replies.