Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • SF content – Foundation
  • mogrim

Trailer out, looks good, but on Apple TV though 🙁

Loved the book when I read it >30yrs back, although I’d be hard pushed to tell you what it was about now…

willard

Yeah, ok, I’m in. That looks really, really good.

akira

I’d watch that so hopefully it ends up on another viewing platform as well at some point.

stuey
    Free Member

Asimov was inspirational – and I got excited when the last foundation book got published ‘posthumously’ – as it was a prequel, I guess he had the last laugh !

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Blimey, what’s next? The complete works of E E ‘Doc’ Smith?

willard

How about the complete works of L. Ron Hubbard.

footflaps

I loved the books esp the way they all intertwined.

Hopefully the series will do it justice.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

I’m all in for this.. Reread the entire Foundation/Robots series every few years. I have been excited about this since they announced it a couple of years ago.  I’m hoping that because Apple have got more money than most medium sized countries and they desperately need a ‘must have’ hook for their AppleTV+ service that they are willing to spend whatever it takes for this to be a defining SciFi series. Foundation has been doing the rounds in Hollywood for 50 years+ and no-one has managed to make anything of it so the pressure is on. The Asimov family is onboard as Exec Producers so that hopefully bodes well.

Northwind

That space elevator needs to speed up a bit!

Does look ace though. I suppose with something like this you’ve got to go big or go home.

sandwicheater

Noice!! Reread at the end of last year and think the Mrs has a free 6 months Apple TV thingy somewhere.

mogrim

Is it worth re-reading then? It hasn’t dated horribly or anything like that?

jd13m
    Free Member

I’d say a bit dated (having re-read last month) – a bit too ‘american dream’ + entire development of european/us civilisation in a few hundred years for my liking these days

I’m also a bit sceptical about some of the plotlines – the loss of atomic technology through stagnation in a civilisation that’s got ‘hyperspace’ travel for instance

given that I’d still say it’s worth a re-read

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Probably a 30 yr gap for me so I’ll buy the Trilogy and go back to basics. Amazon?

jd13m
    Free Member

decent 2nd hand bookstore or well stocked charity shop would be my choice – they weren’t rare 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I only do digital now.
    I’ve thrown away 2 too many skips of books and vinyl in my life.

footflaps

Re-reading is quite an undertaking, to get the full story you have something like 15 books?

R Daneel starts off in the Robots series and crops back up in Foundation, that Trilogy ended up with 9 books inc one several written after his death (by someone else).

My collection

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jeV3rH]Asimov collection[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

jd13m
    Free Member

I only do digital now.
    I’ve thrown away 2 too many skips of books and vinyl in my life.

heretic….

hugo
    Free Member

Noice!

Northwind

mogrim
    Subscriber

Is it worth re-reading then? It hasn’t dated horribly or anything like that?

It has, but it’s dated horribly in a sort of charming timecapsule way that means it’s still mostly totally fine, and occasionally absolutely hilarious. Like basically any bit with a woman in, frinstance.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

I have a bookshelf that looks almost identical to that.. same editions of almost everything including hardbacks. It’s quite spooky.!! 😀

roger_mellie

Agree, looks good

hopefully it ends up on another viewing platform as well at some point.

Is that likely (genuine question)? Do Netflix commissioned programmes end up on Now TV for example?

RobHilton
    Free Member

heretic…

You’re thinking of a different series of books there 🙂

Poopscoop

When’s this due out guys?

rOcKeTdOg

Anderson Dawes the OPA rep gets about a bit

kimbers

Anderson Dawes the OPA rep gets about a bit

Sa-Sa!

Again a long time since I read the foundation books, this looks better than I remember them!

footflaps

Is that likely (genuine question)? Do Netflix commissioned programmes end up on Now TV for example?

Probably not, but you can just subscribe to Apple TV on a trial, watch the series then cancel etc.

roger_mellie

you can just subscribe to Apple TV on a trial, watch the series then cancel etc.

Yeah, forgot ’bout that, cheers.

When’s this due out guys?

2021 according to this:

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/foundation-on-apple-tv-release-date-trailer-cast-plot-asimov-show

nickc

I’ve always preferred the Hitchhikers guide over the Encyclopedia Galactica as it’s slightly cheaper

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve always preferred the Hitchhikers guide over the Encyclopedia Galactica as it’s slightly cheaper

Hitchhiker’s Guide has a better cover. That’s how I usually judge books.

hugo
    Free Member

Again a long time since I read the foundation books, this looks better than I remember them!

This is how I feel. I read them as a teenager and remember them both making some vague kind of impact with me but also being a bit dull – I basically can’t remember them! Funnily enough, similar to Tolstoy or Dostoevsky.

Compare that to reading HHGTTG, Catch 22, Catcher in the Rye, etc, that I read at the same time, also made an impact and I remember as if yesterday.

Of course, the best book of all time is Brave Two Zero. Gets better with every read.

nickc

but also being a bit dull

yes, very much so.

Of course, the best book of all time is Brave Two Zero. Gets better with every read.

You are Mark Francois MP, and I claim my £5.00

aP
    Free Member

Will be interesting to see, from my recollections Asimov is slightly too technocentric whereas Frank Herbert was more philosophical and sociocentric.

tjagain

I am a big SF fan but found foundation really rather poor. Very dated and very much a product of its times

CountZero

How about the complete works of L. Ron Hubbard.

For the love of God, No! He was a raving lunatic, and his books are crap!

hopefully it ends up on another viewing platform as well at some point.

Well that’s the problem, it’s all the different services now, there’s always something on each of them, but it’s just not feasible to subscribe to them just for one or two specific series; I’d love to be able to watch the Doom Patrol series, especially as a second series is just starting, but it’s an HBO Max production on Starz, and not available on any Sky channels as far as I know. I used to collect the Grant Morrison Doom Patrol comics, brilliant art and delightfully weird storylines.

ajt123
    Free Member

I am totally psyched for this.

Jared Harris amazing casting for Harry Seldon! Shout out to all the Expanse and Mad Med fans in the house.

The fact that the original source material is ideas rather than character driven allows you to take it to new places without screwing it up.

Basically, the better the books the harder to adapt to television / film without being torn between maintaining what was great about the original and creating something authentic.

That’s why the Expanse show and 2000s BSG are able to be do good – “because they transcended the IP and why the Watchmen movie is flawed.

The Road, honourable exception.

ajt123
    Free Member
    ChrisL

I read the original Foundation trilogy (and I think 2 later sequels and a prequel) in my teens in the early 90s and it seemed dated then. Despite that I still recall enjoying it greatly.

vinnyeh

Sept 24.

New trailer.
    I’ve set my expectations to low for this. Burnt too many times.

roger_mellie

Looks visually interesting, but I didn’t get on with the book at all. Also, 80 episodes?

FuzzyWuzzy

Someone saying on the Dune thread they were disappointed by Foundation reminded me about it…

Anyways I think it’s actually good, am I the only one? :p I’m sure I read some of the Foundation series books as a kid but I can’t remember anything about them (maybe that’s a good thing if the main issue is how it compares to the books?)

The plot is moving along at a decent pace, the acting seems good (on the whole) and the SFX are decent to (looks really good in 4k HDR…).

My only issue is episodes being drip-fed weekly so after bingeing to get up to date I now need to wait a few weeks before I watch the next lot (I prefer doing that to watching one per week)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘SF content – Foundation’ is closed to new replies.