Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Severn Bore – current conditions
  • grtdkad

We’re off to see the Severn Bore for the first time later this week.

http://www.thesevernbore.co.uk/timetable-2020/4594779633

Just wondering what we should expect given that the Severn is still pretty “full” after all of the recent flooding.
    Will there be a bore wave as such or is there a chance that it breaches the river banks and floods roads etc?? (Which I’d rather avoid).

csb

I have absolutely nothing scientific to add except i was there yesterday and it has been very high if the number of tree trunks washed up onto the floodplain is anything to go by.

The bore itself is amazing, if its big enough to be surfed. There is a chart somewhere online.

jam-bo

From memory, the best bores are big springs and low fluvial flows. Don’t quote me on it though.

Greybeard
    Free Member

My experience of tidal bores is that they are bigger when there isn’t much water in front of them. It’s effectively a volume of water rushing up the estuary as the tide rises, and its momentum carries it further, amplified by the narrowing. If the water in front of it is shallow, it forms a steep wave, if it’s deep the wave is flattened out. So my guess it won’t be a spectacular bore, and it may also flood over the banks. The strong SW wind that’s forecast may push some extra water, which might improve the bore but will also increase the flood potential.

CountZero

Despite not living all that far from the Severn, I’ve yet to actually see a Bore. I think I need to make a real effort this year.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Severn Bore – current conditions’ is closed to new replies.