Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Seven Cycles carbon – something a bit different!
  • solarider
    Free Member

I am a bit of a Seven Cycles fan, so I thought I would try carbon this time, and since you don’t see many of these about.

My Pegoretti Responsorium is my real weight weenie, so this isn’t built super light, but a great all rounder. After the madness of my Pegoretti paint job, this is nicely understated. No radically oversized tubes, no integrated headtube etc, but rides beautifully. I have always been a fan of delicate, slim tubing rather than oversizing for the sake of looks and fashion. Very stiff, but also compliant. Think Colnago C50ish ride.

Included some close ups of the unique headtube arrangement.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

weird!

why do you have a layback seatpost?

solarider
    Free Member

Weird indeed, but rides like a demon! I never go for the mainstream look with my bikes.

Think I need to swap the layback post for in-line. I ordered the layback based on measurements, but I think I will change it. No need for the extra layback, and as much as I love Thomson kit, their layback post does look a bit weird.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i thought they were custom/fitted etc, is that not the case?

solarider
    Free Member

Yes, that is the case, but I have changed the saddle since the fitting. The front end I opted for, but the layback is my own deviation.

MrSmith
    Free Member

not as nice as a pegoretti.

solarider
    Free Member

That’s the beauty of owning both!

The 2 Pegs are keepers. Real masterpieces. This is more functional, but not a very emotional purchase.

This is my first ever carbon bike as I have always ridden ti and steel. So far, so good, but lacks a bit of soul. Sounds like I am not happy, which isn;t the case. It is technically brilliant.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

it is indeed different, I’d love to give it a test ride 😛

d45yth
    Free Member

Your own deviation? 😕 What the hell has a layback seat post got to do with look? If you need it, your bike must be too short for you. 🙄

solarider
    Free Member

As in it was built around a different saddle with an in-line seatpost, and I changed the saddle and the seatpost afterwards.

I have just sold the seatpost and ordered an in-line.

grtdkad

Like that a lot.

grtdkad

So…ww question:
    Weight of Peg:
    Weight of Seven:

?
    🙂

twohats
    Free Member

What the hell has a layback seat post got to do with look? If you need it, your bike must be too short for you.

Eh? About 90% of bikes sold come with offset seatposts!
    Fitting a layback/offset post doesn’t mean your bike is too short.

beanieripper
    Free Member

+1, most folk dont even realise a layback and offset post are effectively the same..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Are you Imelda Marcos?

All your bikes are class. With regards to the seatpost, use the one which puts your legs in the best position for pedalling.

smell_it
    Free Member

Frame looks really sweet, but sadly the eye is drawn to that ugly seatpost. Nothing against offset, all my road bikes have them, it’s just the thomson is ugly and it’s ruining the lines of your lovely bike.
    Edit – a second viewing also leaves me wondering what that external headset brings to the party. All that lovely work on the headtube just looks cluttered by it.

solarider
    Free Member

Never thought a seatpost would cause so much discussion! Aesthetics don’t really matter here. It’s all about position on the bike. A layback seatpost does not mean that a frame does not fit. So, here goes:

1) The frame was built with a seat angle suitable for an in-line seatpost and an SLR saddle in mind to position me 8.5cms behind the bb.

2) I subsequently changed to a Fizik saddle which is taller and differently proportioned to the SLR, which in theory positioned me further forward than the in-line/SLR position. I therefore fitted a layback seatpost.

3) Actually, I can get away with an in-line seatpost even using the Fizik and achieve the same position, so fortunately I will be able to fit an in-line Thomson post instead which will look nicer. The Thomson layback post does indeed look a bit strange, although only achieves the same position as any other layback post.

I’ll post a picture when I fit the inline.

In terms of the headset, there’s nowt wrong with an external headset, and Chris King is the daddy! Instead of an oversized headset, the downtube and toptube wrap around the headtube, giving all of the stiffness you would ever want. It’s just a different approach. Yes, a bit old school, but that’s why I like it!

partyboy
    Free Member

Beautiful and refreshingly different but i always think Thomson kit looks out of place on a road bike.

You have indeed got a very serious and expensive bike habit!

smell_it
    Free Member

solarider – Member

Never thought a seatpost would cause so much discussion! Aesthetics don’t really matter here. It’s all about position on the bike. A layback seatpost does not mean that a frame does not fit. So, here goes:

1) The frame was built with a seat angle suitable for an in-line seatpost and an SLR saddle in mind to position me 8.5cms behind the bb.

2) I subsequently changed to a Fizik saddle which is taller and differently proportioned to the SLR, which in theory positioned me further forward than the in-line/SLR position. I therefore fitted a layback seatpost.

3) Actually, I can get away with an in-line seatpost even using the Fizik and achieve the same position, so fortunately I will be able to fit an in-line Thomson post instead which will look nicer. The Thomson layback post does indeed look a bit strange, although only achieves the same position as any other layback post.

I’ll post a picture when I fit the inline.

In terms of the headset, there’s nowt wrong with an external headset, and Chris King is the daddy! Instead of an oversized headset, the downtube and toptube wrap around the headtube, giving all of the stiffness you would ever want. It’s just a different approach. Yes, a bit old school, but that’s why I like it!

Sorry, I didn’t realise we weren’t supposed to comment. You are a chap lucky enough to have some awesome bikes, just relax a bit and enjoy them.

jet26
    Free Member

Impressive bike budget! Can you stop buying so many nice bikes?! Actually it’s quite fun seeing them all!

emanuel
    Free Member

if aesthetics didn’t matter so much why are you going on about the paintjob of this vs the others you’ve got?

too many stem spacers.
    thomson posts on the road are so uncomfortable.
    I’d rather have a stiffer rear triangle and a flexy post than the opposite.they don’t always look wrong though.layback ones don’t look very nice (got 4 thomsons,2 normal,2 layback)

A black(or white) seatpost clamp would look better.

having said all that,I like your floor.

rOcKeTdOg

Jealous of NW Alps

njee20
    Free Member

Nope, don’t like that at all. Why the upright stem and several spacers? Surely a longer head tube makes more sense? Looks very relaxed! I must say ‘custom’ bikes never look right to me, but I guess that’s why people go custom, don’t fit off the shelf.

solarider
    Free Member

Wanted to try a more compact approach than a longer head tube this time. Sick of riding frames that look like farm gates. An upright stem weighs no more than any other angle, so it helps create a stiffer, lighter, more compact frame.

Still need to dial in the bar height, so may fit an 86 degree stem and fewer to see what happens. I have a Moots stem kicking around, which coupled with a Moots post should make things look more normal and improve the ride comfort.

RealMan
    Free Member

too many stem spacers.

Nope, don’t like that at all. Why the upright stem and several spacers?

Still ned to dial in the bar height, so will may fit an 86 degree stem and fewer to see what happens.

That’s better 😉

Think the fork might be the weirdest part of the bike for me. Looks cartoony and fat. And steel drop outs?

MrSmith
    Free Member

An upright stem weighs no more than any other angle, so it helps create a stiffer, lighter, more compact frame.

but that stack of spacers is the weak link in the stiffness chain. Dario had the right idea with a dropped top tube/extended top tube.

Kuco

Nice bike.

solarider
    Free Member

The fork has aluminium dropouts, not steel. I have the same fork on 3 of my bikes, and it is nicest fork I have ever ridden. It was originally designed around a Reynolds Ouzo, to which Seven installs its own dropouts to tailor the rake. Must be a trick of the photo angle, but it really isn’t all that fat at all.

In terms of fit, I have removed a few mm of spacers, fitted a Moots road stem (84 degrees, so no rise) and have a Moots inline Cinch seatpost on order. I’ll post once that arrives.

njee20
    Free Member

Serious question… If it’s a custom frame designed around something and specific as a certain saddle/seatpost combo why are you playing with bar height, surely you know what you want it at?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do these bikes actually get ridden? Or do they just hang on the living room wall? They are all to nice to ride.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Thomson finishing kit gives you away as a MTB-er 😉

Why not put something lighter and nicer on there instead?

emanuel
    Free Member

looks like a pretty small frame,what is it?52?

solarider
    Free Member

Njee – I was recently knocked off my motorbike and am having real trouble with stretch and reach. Hence I need the bars to be higher and the reach less than when I was originally measured (pre-accident).

Vdubber – Moots seatpost and stem on the way. Also a bit ‘MTB’ I know. I have Deda on my Pegorettis, and it isn’t a patch on Thomson. I have actually changed the seatposts on both Pegorettis to Thomson now. The Dedas creaked, slipped and weren’t even that much lighter. Thomson just works, regardless of its looks.

It’s actually a 56cm c-t-c and 58cm c-t-t with a 58cm c-t-c top tube, where it maters the most. I run a 78.5cm saddle height from bb ctr.

And yes, they all get ridden, a lot. I always take piccies when they are box-fresh, but then it’s out into the big wide world for them all! Actually, I think I now have my ideal bike for every eventuality, so that’s it for a while.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Seven Cycles carbon – something a bit different!’ is closed to new replies.