Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Settlement Agreement – What to say at future job interviews
  • thisisnotme
    Free Member

(Temp login for legal reasons)

I’m about to sign a settlement agreement (after I discuss it with a lawyer).
    How do I explain it at interviews for a new job? A quick google suggests saying I was made redundant. Is that ok?

jamj1974

That’s what I say.

br
    Free Member

Two choices, really depends on the job you’re going for; either redundancy or you resigned.

I’ve used both on the past to describe my 4 settlements – I did jobs where I was paid to keep ‘quiet’ 🙂

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Been there. You weren’t made redundant, your position was made redundant so just say “My position was made redundant due to (insert reason here)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Compromise agreement?

I doubt they’d check, but be careful if it’s a small profession.

Technically, you are resigning, that’s what I said about mine.

atlaz
    Free Member

My compromise agreement said I was made redundant. So I said that. When asked for info on exactly what happened, I kept it limited to what had been in the papers (in our case a merger creating role redundancy in both companies). I’d even had this cleared by my former employer as part of the settlement but that was paranoia on behalf of my solicitor.

nickjb
    Free Member

You resigned so I wouldn’t suggest it was redundancy. Just give your reasons for leaving. Ideally positive ones like looking for a new opportunity to further your career rather than saying they were a bunch of *****

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Reorganisation Change”
    &
    “Headcount reduction”

It’s nothing to be bothered about, 15 years ago maybe, but now nearly all organisations have had restructures resulting in headcount loss.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above, just say the company “downsized” / “reorganised”. It’s really not a big deal so don’t stress about it.

Good luck

thisisnotme
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments, currently not stressing too much, but not the best time of year for this to happen.
    Your comments have helped a lot.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Settlement Agreement – What to say at future job interviews’ is closed to new replies.