Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Settle me an argument…
  • tomhoward

Mate at work has just got back from a lunchtime run, he walks in looking like a drowned rat as it’s hoofing down.

‘You look like you enjoyed that’ I comment.
    ‘Wasn’t too bad actually, apart from being hit by a car…’ he responds.
    ‘WTF? You ok? What happened?’
    ‘Car was pulling out of a driveway on to the pavement, to turn right, but pulled out as I ran in front because he was looking right at the time, clipped my calf. It’s happened 3 or 4 times now’
    ‘Oof, glad you’re ok, maybe stop running in front of cars that are wanting to pull out?’
    ‘No, why would I? it’s my right of way! (As he was on the pavement)
    ‘….’

I’m of the opinion it’s better to be alive and wrong than dead and right, do I need re educating?

Discuss…

Cougar

It’s the old “being right vs being dead” argument, isn’t it.

tomhoward

Exactly that, I fear my colleague still sees it the other way, despite 3 or 4 bits of evidence to the contrary…

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m of the opinion it’s better to be alive and wrong than dead and right

Me too.

You can answer his question of ‘why should I?’ with ‘So you don’t keep getting hit by cars’. Seems straightforward to me.

oldnpastit

Appeasement. What could go wrong?

sirromj

Seems like he’s not dead though so argument flawed.

zilog6128

although he doesn’t seem to understand what a “right of way” is

EDIT: also why is he not commando rolling over the bonnet?

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like he’d fit in well here.

chewkw
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    ‘No, why would I? it’s my right of way! (As he was on the pavement)
    ‘….’

I’m of the opinion it’s better to be alive and wrong than dead and right, do I need re educating?

Discuss…

Let him be but advise or remind your mate to carry a donor card when he goes out running …

Coz the hospital always have needs. 😈

Drac

Maybe he was in the zone or uses Strava.

Kahurangi

Aye, he’s right. He’ll be dead right soon.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

You can win this argument. He’d rather be dead than be wrong.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, cars should be allowed to drive on pavements whether there are people in front of them or not. Cars rool! Imagine the uproar if one of those pesky cyclists had clipped him! Death to syclists! And runers!

jekkyl

he should wear a helmet!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sound pretty similar to the attitude on here when peds walk into cycle lanes etc.
    He is right, but as others have said he’ll be dead right one day. Let it go and have a good old swear at the motorist. Its no less than they deserve.

tonyg2003

Sounds like a potential Darwin award winner.

A car driver doesn’t see you running towards them, then don’t run past the front of the car.

hols2
    Free Member

Entirely subjective. If you’re happy being alive, then stay that way. If he’s happy being dead, that’s his decision.

tomnavman
    Free Member

A very loud bang on the window usually does the trick assuming they are looking the other way 😈

doris5000

sounds like you missed a prime opportunity to say “don’t come running to me when you get a broken leg” etc etc and so on and so forth

Edukator
    Free Member

I just jog around the back of the car.

ThePinkster

This is probably a daft question, but is a car emerging from any kind of junction or driveway likely to be going fast enough to actually kill someone?

Injure maybe, but kill?

DezB
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

The way to settle the argument would be to wait til your colleague goes out jogging then go out and run him over. Then you’ll both be in the right. I think.

tomhoward

If the car guns it to make a small gap, then drives over the person possibly?

Drac

This is probably a daft question, but is a car emerging from any kind of junction or driveway likely to be going fast enough to actually kill someone?

I can answer that one. Yes.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Goes running in his lunch break, obviously of sound mind.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Settle me an argument…’ is closed to new replies.