SETI for phones and for cancer drugs

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • SETI for phones and for cancer drugs
  • ugarizza

Just heard about this in the radio and installed it. If you remember SETI and distributed computing to find aliens, it’s a bit like that.

It researches stuff for cancer research on your phone while it’s charging overnight.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/dreamlab/

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Will they be looking at your data ?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Is this similar to what you’ve been able to add to computers for a few years?

ugarizza

Haha, I guess that’s a given these days:)

GCHQ probably pouring over my strava data right now.

mikewsmith

FAQ’s

Privacy terms<i class=”sub-i sub-i-minus tg-hide”></i>

<div class=”tg-body tg-display” role=”region” aria-labelledby=”aria-345536485342″>

<h3>Will it access private information on my phone?</h3>
    DreamLab does not access private information on your phone.

On Android devices only, the app requests access to photos, media, files permission in order to store the tiny research problems whilst they are being processed and calculated by your phone. DreamLab will only access the files it has created in the files directories. DreamLab does not need access to any of your private information or photos to be able to calculate these tiny research problems.On iOS devices, DreamLab does not access any of your private information.

Sounds like a great idea though

</div>

Just installed it

ugarizza

There were a couple of boffins on the radio and they said it’s cheaper and more practical for them than renting super computer time.

mikewsmith

For crunching one big problem you need a big computer, for millions of individual discrete calculations you just need a way to spread it out and distribute the load. Some of the Uni’s use the spare processing power of their computer labs to run this sort of stuff

ugarizza

I hope it’s a success. Unlike most home computers, personal phones are on overnight charging so the potential is there of it captures people’s imagination.

SETI@home is only one project that ran through BOINC, wasn’t it? There is a BOINC app but I don’t know how it compares to the desktop version, or what the support for projects is like. The vodafone app almost has the same number of downloads as BOINC already. I’d guess that it will soon surpass it. It would be good if the vodafone app was able to capitalise on the no doubt large uptake it will see through brand recognition by adding a choice of projects you can use your spare cycles for.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.boinc&hl=en_GB

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php

RaveyDavey

Is this similar to Folding@Home then? I run that on my laptops at work but sometimes one of them gets quite hot. I presume these will be smaller calculations as they’re phone based.

ugarizza

i ran it at work today and noticed it paused as it detected my old Moto g3 was running hot. That was a nice feature.

I think the USP is the overnight phone use. The boffins on the radio reckoned that phones have moved on a lot in capability to make it worthwhile.

Combine that with the observation that phones are usually on and charging overnight and doing little in that period, and it seems it does have a good reason to exist.

mikewsmith

Combine that with the observation that phones are usually on and charging overnight and doing little in that period, and it seems it does have a good reason to exist.

It’s also crowd funding/micropayment for the leccy bill too 🙂

allthegear

Just out of interest, how many people leave their phone in charge as they sleep?

i know I do. But some seem to think dangerous?

rachel

mikewsmith

But some seem to think dangerous?

If you have dodgy chargers then dodgy chargers can go pop an any time.

Smart charging circuits can deal with most stuff and as pointed out it accesses the temp sensor in the phone and switches off the app if it’s overheating.

As for the phone blew my head off while I slept – check snopes

DickBarton

If you are on Vodafone, they don’t charge you for the data used whilst doing this either.

chvck

I use Folding@Home on my phone, it only runs when the phone is above a certain charge. I usually forget that it’s even installed.

Premier Icon madhouse
    Subscriber

Just downloaded this, only wish it ran itself rather than relying on my memory to run the app.

Great idea to move crowd-sourced computing to phones as most are more than up to the job.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘SETI for phones and for cancer drugs’ is closed to new replies.