Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Set2Rise – Photographers?
  • robdeanhove
    Free Member

Does anyone know who the photographers were out on the course at Set2Rise? One or two "proper" looking setups so I was hoping to get some photos of my ride. However, I failed to find them in the pit area to see where to go to get photos. Does anyone have a website, email or photographer name where I might get some race photos please?

Oh, and what a cracking event, the course held up well in the rain in the first few hrs, despite one section which was almost immediately detoured around by the organisers and then, by midnight, the course just got gripper and gripper each lap and was soon completely ridable and even more fun, getting just a teeny bit grippier each lap!

The only problem all weekend was my choice of tyres, Small Block 8s front and rear made for some interesting steering and braking for the firs 6hrs in the worst of the slippy stuff!

Cheers

Rob

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

yes cracking event. I wondered last year what the course would be like in the wet, and it was still excellent. I'll be back next year!

Rolls
    Free Member

Thought it was a great race! – I'll be back next year!!

xcstu
    Free Member

Ya interested to know who was taking photo's too….

If it had have been dry that course would have been so much fun… mind you still cracking even with the rain!

Will be back next year 😉

redthunder
    Free Member

Whats a proper looking setup ?

Piles of used film cases everywhere ? 😉

robdeanhove
    Free Member

When I say "propoer" i was refering the the guys with big tripods, a helper holding the flash on the other side of the trail, a warning sign so you knew they were there and didn't get alarmed by the flash, a selection of cameras, each one of which looked like it weighed more than my bike! i.e. not some chap with an ixus 😉

Still, no-one can shed any light on this, or is everyone else who entered still asleep?

Gingerbloke
    Free Member
    carlphillips
    Free Member

ha typical once again im the unphoto'ed rider!!!

welshwheels
    Free Member

Great event as always….Can someone talk me through the whole 'finish by 6am for laps to count' it is the only event that does it that way. I was in a team of four, and by about half four we knew there was no point going out after that next lap as it wouldn't count ! Where as I thought it was a lot more exciting racing to get back in for 6 to squeeze another lap in !

Not a great problem in the bigger scheme of things, but I just didn't get it ?

Great event though, and I think the best course of the four that we have done !

robdeanhove
    Free Member

welshwheels, it's quite common, it's refered to as a "short" 12hr, the same format is also used at TwentyFour12, BrightonBigDog and 24hrs of Exposure to name a few.

You still get all the drama of trying to squeeze an extra lap in, and tactics can become even more exciting for those who are running close; imagine finishing at 6:01 and it not counting!

The idea is to give the event a "clean" ending, which is far, far better as it stops the slowest rider sprinting to get in then going out again with 1min to go and doing a 2hr lap, which would mean a MASSIVE wait for everyone until results could be finalised and podiums happen etc. This means that this format is getting quite popular. Good PA/timing systems also keep the crowd informed who is running it tight so makes for a very, very exciting finish for the last few minutes and there's oten a count down with 60seconds to go as you see some desparate rider appear on the horizon sprinting to get in, very dramatic! Mayhem, for example, is always a >25hr race with the hugest wait for the podium ceremony by which time lots of people have gone home, which is always a shame.

welshwheels
    Free Member

Fair enough, I see the logic in that ! Just hadn't experienced it before. Think we might have to split our 4 up into two 2's to get a few more laps in !

Great event though !

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Yea a great event, I think the weather added to the whole thing, but then I was in a team of 4! The 'short' format is much better in my opinion; for 12 hour races it isn't so critical but 24 hour races it makes a difference.

Robdean – Was nice to meet you and an awesome ride; I don't know how you did it on those tires, my crossmarks were barely holding up for the first few laps! I was pitting for Trev – better watch out for Mayhem, he's got some motivation now! Oh, and I did get the fastest lap in the end, although there wasn't too much competition!

julianwilson
    Free Member

robdeanhove – Member

welshwheels, it's quite common, it's refered to as a "short" 12hr, the same format is also used at TwentyFour12, BrightonBigDog and 24hrs of Exposure to name a few.

FWIW, the TwentyFour12 doesn't do this. 2 years ago I was last out in our team, got in at 11.50, got a big cheer as I went straght out to do another lap, got another big cheer from crowd and a hi-five on the finish line from Bontrager Himself at about 12.40. 😀 And as a competitor I prefer it that way.

nicks
    Free Member

Kitz_Chris did you do the 37:35 first lap ? i came close on my last lap with a 38:05. Great weekend !

I love that last bit of single track!

i will have a link to my Dad's photos soon.

Cheers

nick s ( mule bar strudels)

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Hi nick, yea I put the first one down, unfortunately I didn't have mud tires on! The course sped up so much in the morning too, shame our team tactics meant I didn't get to go for a belter at the end. Are the mule bar guys doing mayhem? I'm looking for a team as mine as pulled out; email me if you know of anything!

cragrat73
    Free Member

well my first set2rise and the weather at the start wasn't the greatest, as was my fitness. However, great course that improved through the night and the last lap was the best (for me, dicky tummy at the start) so i think a big hats off to spam for running a great event no matter what they had thrown at them. cheers.

nicks
    Free Member

kitz chris – we have a guy doing mayhem solo so im going to support. what team tactics were you using then
    😀 we are doing bristol bike fest this saturday !

my dads pictures will be up later tonight on http://www.flickr.com/photos/23318875@N02/collections/72157606984867287/

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Well we were in a mixed team, and our Girl was a bit of a beginner; after her first lap she decided that riding the dark was too scary, and promptly fell asleep until 4:30am, at which point she woke up and wanted to do a lap! so we lost our lead and I didn't get a final lap!

I'll be doing the 6 hour race on Sunday, looking forward to it if the weather holds up!

S_Works
    Free Member

My pics here. Biased to the Mule bar teams though! A few random riders in there.

flr_MG_9054

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Just the one event Cris? Time to MTFU 😛 Is Trevor riding too?

12hr team on Saturday followed by a "cheeky" 6hr ride on Sunday here 😉

Just like last weekend I won't be chasing you on lap 1! Should I put money on you for fastest lap again, which I assume is target #1?

ghislainlambert
    Free Member

Just a quick thanks for the SPAM guys on putting together a great event. My head was well and truely in the shed for the first couple of hours but managed to cheer up a bit by the end. Especially when my mate told me I was in third 😀

It was nice having someone taller then me on the podium too, must be some sort of record for the tallest average height podium for a 12 hour MTB event in Wiltshire, surely?

S_Works
    Free Member

Janesy
    Free Member

robdeanhove – Im sure if not you then somone else on small block 8's was chatting to me just after the section we (Spam) call the Rollercoaster. I was on a cove stiffee running 2.0's small block 8s. not the best tyre for the nights riding although did get ridable by 3am. Good crack, well done guys.

packer
    Free Member

Great event, shame about the rain though.

I have one complaint though: £5 for a rather small burger – WTF???! Get rid of the fancy rip-off food and get the previous food vans back please.

carlphillips
    Free Member

£5…

i paid £3 for mine? but then i may of got handsome/sympathy discount 😉

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Did anyone get any photos of the Solo ladies podium presentation? Would be good to see one of the Mrs receiving her prizes whilst resplendent in green wellies with white polka dots 😀

Great event guys, just like the previous two. Shame the weather spoiled the first couple of laps and shame I was too ill to do more than 4 hours 🙁

S_Works
    Free Member

offthebrakes

Yes have a pic. Umm….. will sort out later tonight. Keep an eye on this post.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

packer – Member
    Great event, shame about the rain though.

I have one complaint though: £5 for a rather small burger – WTF???! Get rid of the fancy rip-off food and get the previous food vans back please.

My burger was £3….. To be fair though it was only an after race treat as I'd have brought it straight back up if I'd have eaten stuff like that while racing….

I thought it was nice having the drop off there – makes a nice change from the usual festival style trailers. Also liked the bean bags in the red bull tent.

If I wanted to get really niggly, perhaps a bigger timing screen to see your results?

For me, however, it's still the only course (bar, possibly the brighton big dog) I've done where I came off every lap grinning like a stupid fool. This year proved that can be just as good in the rain.

Bring on next year!

markbullen
    Free Member

glad to hear you all enjoyed the event – despite a bit of moistness at the start, Photo-It http://www.photo-it.com/spam/set2rise2010.htm

were doing the piccies and there should be some up on the SPAM website soon as well. we decided to do do proper food this year as for our last couple of events we haven't been too impressed with the 'van' that we had. hopefully Ian Luff (Drop-Off) will be back bigger and better next year. maybe timelaps will invest in a bigger screen as well!

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Janesy – yes, that was me on the SB8s, which I used from lap 1 to lap 15, they worked pretty well for me as that's me up there with a shiney new Charge Duster frame too! WHOOP!

I enjoyed chatting to people all the way around for the whole 12hrs, I think everybody had a great race. What a cracking event (second only to the BrightonBigDog 😉 ).

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Rob – Yea just riding on Sunday as I've got a graduation ball on Saturday afternoon/night. Depending on hangover state I will be either looking for one fast lap or a good overall finish, we'll see. Trevor may well do both though; you should persuade him anyway!

captain_bastard
    Free Member

what a laugh, first time i've done any type of 'race' since mountan mayhem in 2000 (still have the posh sigg drinks bottle) – did the solo just to see what it's like and really enjoyed it.

roddeanhove – I really enjoyed chatting to people as well, everyone was really laid back, but it was nice to have so much space as well, times i didn't see a sole for 10 mins which was equally great

Janesy
    Free Member

Problem is with you winning, Is that I cant use my tyre choice as an excuss. 🙂 need to tell my self to ride more…

S_Works
    Free Member

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Yay!

Cheers for that 🙂

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I think it's fair to say I won despite my tyres, not because of it! I had a couple of spills on the way round. I also got some (deserved) stick of Dave Buchanan of Syncros (who also won, in mixed pairs) as I passed him as apparently I was all over the shop as he followed me, which I can't deny!

Do I get a prize for looking like the rider happiest to be on the podium? 😀

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Hi S-Works,

Great podium photos, thank you! I was unsupported and pitting for myself, so I didn't have anyone to take any photos. I have a few good shots I've already got permission to use of me riding from other people, but is it OK if I use the podium shot and the great shot of my bottles with food attached in the pits as I'd like to write a little piece for Leisure Lakes who have been great in supporting me this year? Solo can get very expensive just with all the food to keep someone my size going for 12hrs! Let alone the wear and tear on the bike.

Obviously the photos will get a credit to the photographer, if it's OK, who would you like me to credit the photos to? A name?

Fingers crossed!

Cheers

Rob

S_Works
    Free Member

Rob,
    Use the pics as you wish, no need for a credit, thanks for asking. Good ride fella' Did you see the one of you on my flickr?

flr_MG_9054

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Hi, I did see it thanks, I love the one you have of my food & bottles. I was completely unsupported, so tried to get a bit organised before the race to minimise the time sorting myself out between laps:

Oh, and cheers for the pics!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

robdeanhove

I can only imagine the state of your guts after consuming that lot!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Set2Rise – Photographers?’ is closed to new replies.