Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sessioning – it does work
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Horrible word. But we descended the same full trail 3 times in succession today, each time in 4 chunks. We stopped and examined the awkward bits etc. And it felt smoother, faster and less intimidating each time.

This is very different from XC loops we normally ride. Not sure it was as fun though.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I rode Mabie’s new berms a good 5 or 6 times today. I do believe that is the first time I have done this whole “sessioning” thing 🙂

I then pushed all the way back up for a blast down without stopping for photos.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Practise makes perfect shocker! 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

‘sessioning’.
    Is this a different word for ‘practising’?

Lifer
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    ‘sessioning’.
    Is this a different word for ‘practising’?

No

Spin
    Free Member

It helps you to normalise that bit of terrain so that next time you meet something like it you will do it first time.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You shouldnt have wasted your time. You should have just gone on a skills course instead, like most other STW users seem to do.

dropoff

A long long time ago in what seems like a distant land we used to do the same thing, only it didn’t have a fancy name we just called it playing. And in doing so we would learn about cambers and drops and steeps and how to ride a bike. No skills courses just fun, the one word that seems to be missing from riding a bike.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I like doing a bit of both, keeps it all interesting. Riding short technical bits continuously and trying to ride them betterer and/or fasterer and going for long easy XC days out for fitness or whatever (just for a change), it’s all good.

_tom_
    Free Member

Most of my riding consists of this “sessioning” – I only really ride at Woburn now so go over the same short bits of dh trail loads of times. It works for me 🙂 Sometimes you need to do a proper long xc type ride though.

spanishfly
    Free Member

YES

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

‘sessioning’
    Is this a new word for ‘practising’?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“You shouldnt have wasted your time. You should have just gone on a skills course instead, like most other STW users seem to do.”

Lol – I have! It was damn useful as it turns out I hadn’t much of a clue. I only have half a clue now.

“No skills courses just fun, the one word that seems to be missing from riding a bike.”

Not at all – it’s all fun, at least for me. But the format I’m used too is linking up lots of trails in a big loop and not hanging around. I did feel impatient a few times though, wanting to move on.

spando
    Free Member

Practice does not make perfect, practice makes permanent!

dropoff

Get out and have a good long ride when you can, but those days that you just wanna chill a bit then stick the body armour on and go find something that you haven’t ridden before and try it 🙂

jam-bo

You shouldnt have wasted your time. You should have just gone on a skills course instead, like most other STW users seem to do.

You mean pay for someone to make you session stuff….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You mean pay for someone to make you session stuff….

Yeh but its not just that, theres much more to it. The coach tells me I’m good and I’m improving lots and that I’ve done really well and they may even make me a brew aswell. I feel really confident afterwards.

When I session stuff with my mates, they just tell me I’m fat and shit.

jam-bo

Do they point and laugh when you **** it up. That’s the sign of a true mate…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“You mean pay for someone to make you session stuff.”

Not far from the truth TBH. But also to spot problems and explain why something works or don’t work and to encourage/remind at the right time.

E.g. I still drop my back foot when scared, but I’m now aware of it and correct it; I used to drag brake a lot and had not realised how this badly upsets the bike’s handling and even causes pinch flats. I had no idea what a “braking zone” was or why it was important to look for it.

“Do they point and laugh when you **** it up”

After checking that we still have our teeth, we give a round of applause and a hearty cheer 🙂

bellerophon
    Free Member

Yeh but its not just that, theres much more to it. The coach tells me I’m good and I’m improving lots and that I’ve done really well and they may even make me a brew aswell. I feel really confident afterwards.

When I session stuff with my mates, they just tell me I’m fat and shit

and deep down you know they’re right 😆

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

spando – Member
    Practice does not make perfect, practice makes permanent!

Personally – that nugget rings true.

druidh
    Free Member

I keep reading this thread as “seasoning it does work” and expected to be reading about the application of salt, pepper and various herbs and spice to food…..

You can imagine my disappointment.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Sessioning – it does work’ is closed to new replies.