Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Servicing fox 32 CTD
  • DT78
    Free Member

How hard is it / likely for me to cock up? Where do I get the parts from?

For some reason TFT say they don’t service this fork, which has me worried.

Not been touched since bought with the bike 2016-17 and starting to feel a bit wooden still ok though.

Don’t really want to send them off, or pay the bike shop premium, unless it is not a DIY job.

Flaperon

Does it have the FIT damper? There are videos showing how to service this bit but as it’s sealed I can’t see the point. It’s not as if the oil gets hot enough to degrade in use. The damper is the clever part of the fork and lives in a rubber bladder.

The rest of it (air spring side) isn’t difficult but you might want to grind down a socket to make it easier to get the top cap off. I think Fox publish lower leg service videos on their website.

The CTD lever can be removed for cleaning but don’t lose the little ball and spring that provides the clicks.

If it has an ordinary damper an oil change isn’t difficult as it doesn’t require further disassembly.

DT78
    Free Member

Quick google, turns out my fork is from 2013(!)

Its a Fox 32 Float 29 Evolution CTD Air, CTD Damper with 3 Modes, 15mm Quick Release Axle, Tapered Steerer, Rebound Adjust

DT78
    Free Member

where might I pick up a service kit for a fork this old?

DezB
    Free Member

My son’s bike came with that fork – the lockout stopped working, so I serviced it in the normal way (seal/oil change type service). It was easy enough, but made no difference.
    May be due to the parts availability that TFT/Silverfish won’t sort them?
    You could ask Plush (or indeed, Silverfish)
    Can’t see any mention on Silverfish that they won’t touch certain forks.

bigyan
    Free Member

TF wont service the 13/14 32/34 Evolution damper, the rest is just normal Fox service stuff. Service Procedures available on Ride Fox, they have a tool list and instructions with pictures so you can see if you want to do it before you start.

There is an Evolution service thread on MTBR.

DT78
    Free Member

that’s great, thanks for the pointers. will research tonight

jonnyrockymountain

Think that’s the fork where fox lost it, I remember a few mates having nothing but trouble, but also think there was a recall on these as well ?

DT78
    Free Member

TFT have said they’d only replace damper and service for £285.

I don’t have lots of experience of suspension forks but they’ve been fine and felt pretty much the same as my old rebas, sids, piles and 36s have. They are definilty a bit harsh now though, but given no service in 5 years not surprusing

olly2097
    Free Member

I had this fork in 27.5 form. Best thing I did was to take it off the bike and sell it then buy a yari. Felt rubbish even when serviced.

Flaperon

285 quid for a service and FIT damper seems a reasonable price to be honest. The FIT damper is worlds apart from the older open bath type.

I’d recommend dropping the lowers off before sending it in and checking for stanchion wear near the bushes, because it’d be cheaper to buy a new fork if that’s the case.

DezB
    Free Member

285 quid for a service and FIT damper seems a reasonable price to be honest

Yeah, interesting. Luckily I had some forks going spare to put on Jr’s bike, but that would be an option.. though I’d be more tempted to go 2nd hand.

DT78
    Free Member

Checked with TFT its the FIT4 damper. I have no idea if this is good or not!

I’d be a bit worried about dropping that sort of money on old forks only for something else to go wrong. Can you drop the lowers to check and reassemble easy enough?

tbh I’ve never thought the forks held me back in any way, maybe I’ll be super surprised and become a downhill god with a decent damper

from silverfishes site:
    32mm FOX Forks – Evolution O/C Fork with FIT4 Cartridge Upgrade
    £169.95

Not clear if that includes a service or is just the damper

martinhutch

If you go for this, check whether your push-to-lock remote will work OK with it. The newest Fox dampers have moved to a push-to-unlock system.

bigyan
    Free Member

32mm FOX Forks – Evolution O/C Fork with FIT4 Cartridge Upgrade
    £169.95

Not clear if that includes a service or is just the damper

Plus service cost.

UPGRADE OFFERS
    Prices listed are expressed as a surcharge to a full service as detailed above.

You If you can do a lower service you can DIY fit a new damper cartridge (If you have a socket for the top cap).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Servicing fox 32 CTD’ is closed to new replies.