Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Servicing an i900 seatpost – Slick Honey
  • slowboydickie

I am about to have a go at it myself. I’ve got the manual and it looks straight-forward but is there anything I should look out for in particular? Also I can’t find any ‘Slick Honey’ grease on-line and wondered if I could use anything else?

Cheers
    Dickie

foxyrider
    Free Member

FWIW – I just used Shimano grease on the seal on the collar on my X-Fusion Hilo which is very similar 🙂 Float Fluid would do that same thing also 🙂

VanMan
    Free Member

Slight hijack (sorry). Foxyrider have you stripped down the HiLo and is it easy?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got some of this stuff. Worked well.

foxyrider
    Free Member

VanMan – yeah did an article on it for our magazine:

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/x-fusion-hilo-service.htm

nowthen
    Free Member

Second on the Stendec, have i900s on two bikes, one is two years old the other 18 months and both have regular service, the Stendec grease makes them smoother than brand new! Also have noticed no wear yet on the bushes or stanchion on either post, and they are running constantly in muddy conditions

VanMan
    Free Member

Cheers thanks for that Foxyrider, I’ll go and break mine at the weekend 😛

foxyrider
    Free Member

I hope you break it down not break it 😉 LOL

VanMan
    Free Member

Knowing my servicing skills it will be the latter followed by a bodge

ChrisL

The original instructions said to use Judy Butter where the current instructions now say to use Slick Honey.

Oh, also the recommended 20ml of suspension oil would appear to be way too much as I couldn’t get my post to compress all the way down when I put that much of the stuff into it.

Getting the red cap out of the bottom of the seatpost can be awkward. Clamping the seatpost in a workstand and getting someone to brace the post while you use pliers to unscrew the cap seems to be the best idea.

Check that the bushing under the top cap is nice and tight, I think that the risk of shaft scoring is increased if this is loose.

rickon
    Free Member

Looks like it’s 2ml of oil from the photos, which would make sense.

On a related note, does anyone have play in their post not laterally or vertically, but torsionally? i.e. if you twist the saddle.

Not sure what’s going on there, but have about 1mm of torsionally play.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yes (well my HiLo) and from new – I figured it is just tolerances between the bushes and the central pillar/outer tube?

ChrisL

There’s bits in the seatpost which should stop any significant rotational play but a little is possible I think. If it seems like more than a little make sure that the saddle rails clamp bit isn’t starting to unscrew itself from the shaft.

mega
    Free Member

I did mine recently with plain old waterproof grease – worked fine
    It definitely feels much better after the service – takes about 30 minutes

You probably already found this link but if not I found it very useful:
    How to service KS i900 clicky

Northwind

Billy’s sells slick honey, or did do anyway. If you’re anywhere near Drumlanrig, Rik has it in the shop there too. But I’m sure any light, nonsticky grease will be fine.

And yep, I think we decided that it’s definately 2mm not 20mm of oil, the pic seems to show a 5ml syringe.

slowboydickie

mega, thanks for the link, better than the obne I had. Thanks for grease suggestions.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Servicing an i900 seatpost – Slick Honey’ is closed to new replies.