Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Serviceable older 26" FS frames
  • maccruiskeen

Thinking of swapping my GF’s hardtail frame for an FS but without having to also swap too many other parts. So her current bike is a 26″ wheeled hard tail with a 100mm fork. Thinking of something more XC orientated and ideally with good climbing traction – so probably 4 bar / DW link rather than single pivot. – with travel to match/suit that fork?

Whats likely to be out there on the second hand market that’ll still be well supported in terms of bearings, bushings and shocks?

cynic-al
    Free Member

with good climbing traction – so probably 4 bar / DW link rather than single pivot

Single pivots climb fine, unless you suck in every ounce of shite written by bike marketeers.

scotroutes

Fancy a Blur XC Carbon? Pretty much matches your requirements. I’ll be selling it as a complete bike though. It’s just had a new set of bearings and axles fitted and they’re easily obtained from Jungle. It’ll come with the correct tools too.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Giant Anthem.Job jobbed.

maccruiskeen

Giant Anthem.Job jobbed.

That was one of my first thoughts

Fancy a Blur XC Carbon?

I suspect it’ll be going for more than I’m thinking of spending

martymac

Cough, how much are you thinking of spending?

docrobster
    Free Member

I’m riding around on a blur 4x I picked up s/h 2 years ago. Upper link Pivot axles seem in short supply. I’ve had to raid the box marked “old Santa Cruz bits” in the 18 bikes workshop recently. Not sure jungle have any now
    Anthem is a good call I reckon. Mate has one from 2010. Climbs well.

smurf
    Free Member

Just found this thread…I’m about to list a small Giant Anthem X1 frame in the classifieds.

I need to double check the sizing as it might be a XS. Its the orange and plain aluminium colour scheme and barely ridden before my wife became pregnant 🙁

It’s recently been stripped down as I’ve used quite a few of the parts to upgrade a bike for my daughter.

Drop me a PM if you’d like photos and for me to check the sizing.

smurf
    Free Member

Forgot to mention…it takes 26″ wheels, uses a 100mm front fork, and if you need any other parts, please ask as I’ve quite a few nearly new things in the spares boxes (shifters, mechs, etc)

beej

I’ve got a medium Marin Quad Link hanging on the garage wall, a 2005 I think. Been hanging there for about 4 years now.

windyg
    Free Member

Giant Anthem, standard size bearings easily sourced and diy job to change.

Superficial
    Free Member

Whats likely to be out there on the second hand market that’ll still be well supported in terms of bearings, bushings and shocks?

Pretty much everything? Bearing standards haven’t changed so unless the frame uses weird custom-sized bearings (some frames do but it’s not common) then this isn’t an issue. Ditto shocks. There’s no issue here.

The only thing to be vaguely aware of is headtube size. Most older frames have headtubes for non-tapered 1.1/8th inch headsets which won’t accept most modern forks. If it’s more than a couple of years old, I imagine your current fork will be fine, but it may limit your options if you wish to upgrade at a later date.

my wife became pregnant 🙁

lol

dc2.0

Another vote for Anthem. BTW the XS frame is tiny. My 10yo was on one when barely out of booster seat (~135cm)

smurf
    Free Member

Might be a small I’ve got then. Can measure up in a few days

essexbiker
    Free Member
    honeybadgerx

I’ve got a 2006 s-works stumpjumper FSR gathering dust in the loft if you’re interested? Size large, but if going on todays longer bikes then probably more of a medium really.

maccruiskeen

Oooh – hello

Sorry got distracted by work!!! Heaven forfend!

Size wize, although my GF is quite tall – 5’8″ish- medium bikes seem to be too big. Her current hard tail is 17″ and just a bit too big with not much stand over . Her Uncle John is a small and just right.

Not seeing many anthems about smaller than 17″ but would certainly be interested in one!

angeldust
    Free Member

Giant Anthem should meet your requirements nicely. Cheap, and lots of choice.

lereg
    Free Member

macruisekeen if you are interested in the Anthem I have a 2011 Anthem X2 in Medium that could fit the bill. Although I would prefer to sell it complete, it’s open to discussion.

If you Google it you’ll easily find the full spec but let me know if you want a full list.

I did make one key upgrade: it’s set up with a Works Components Angle Headset (slackening by 1.5deg) and a longer fork, a 2013 RS Reba 120mm (tapered steerer, 15mm axle) instead of the standard 100mm. It also has a shorter Race Face stem and wider Answer bars.

Giant ended up marketing it in that configuration a couple of years ago as it makes the bike considerably more capable.

Drop me an email if you want more info:
    regisatbroccolimarketingdotcom

Moses

I could also be interested in a small 26″er FS frame. My medium Litespeed is just too long, and my old bones need less stretch.

Scamper
    Free Member

For the summer xc I bought a 2008 Spesh Epic (5ft 8, Medium)off here for £100. Had to change the bearings (cheap from somewhere like Superstar). The other cost was a new spesh bolt kit for £40 as the existing ones had seized and needed drilling out. But I now have a nice functional frame to hang my `old’ 26 gear off.

smokey_jo

I’m thinking of changing my full sus – small Kona One20 Scandium. Sizes up at about a 16″. It has offset bushings in it and can be sold complete, Frame only or Frame and Fork – got a Manitou Minute 140mm 20mm bolt through air fork with lockout to go with. I thinks it’s got a Fox RP2 shock on it. It’s just a bit short for me.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Serviceable older 26" FS frames’ is closed to new replies.