Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Service Fork prior to selling?
  • cblair246
    Free Member

I will be selling my Fox 34 160mm Talas fork over the festive period. They are about 14 months old and are due their 100 hour service.

Question is, should I spend +£100 on getting them serviced prior to selling them? While I know that I won’t recoup the additional cost, above that of an unserviced fork, I suspect it would give the buyer additional confidence in the fork.

brassneck

If you supplied an invoice for the service in the box, I’d be inclined to pay top end price for them. Only you can say if thats actually worth your time and money though, you might make as much as you’d exepct to unserviced anyway.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If you wont get the service money back from the sale, then don’t, providing the forks will sell in need of a service. No brainer.

clubby

I never have, but I have always done the seal lube and inspection beforehand. You will not recoup the costs of the service upon selling and I’ve never had a problem selling a set of forks. When buying used I’ve always factored the possible price of a service into what I’m prepared to pay.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I would. But I have the oils in stock and it’s a quick job so no reason not to. 🙂

treaclesponge
    Free Member

If they need doing (poor performance, leaky seal) then do it, otherwise I wouldnt bother.

cblair246
    Free Member

Ok guys. Thanks for the input.

Will get them up for sale over the festive period and leave out the service.

cblair246
    Free Member

Next question, what do people think the going rate for a 2nd hand 2013 Fox 34 Talas 160mm kashima with CTD. I’d say it’s in very good condition and is probably 15months old?

weeksy

£400

tomaso
    Free Member

If you are doing it yourself then opening them up and getting a photo of the stanchions all clean and tidy below the seals then it gives buyers some peace of mind. Sending them away for a service if they don’t need it will depend on how valuable the forks are.

cblair246
    Free Member

The thing is I don’t want to start dicking round with them myself. Plus a service is professionally done and verified with an invoice or really the buyer is just trusting I haven’t opened them up and made a mess of things.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Service Fork prior to selling?’ is closed to new replies.