Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Sensible trainers for the middle-aged man
  • Harry_the_Spider

My latest pair of Merrell Moab 2s are starting to wear after a couple of years of being stuck to my dull middle aged feet.

Can anyone recommend something similar before I depressingly hit the button and buy yet another pair? There’s nothing wrong with the Merrells, but my devil-may-care dangerous side was wondering if there was an alternative. Preferably for less than £80.

Don’t want bling. Has to have a cushioned sole as my knees are ****ed, so I can’t wear Adidas Samba or Gazelle any more. Not to be used for any sport at all (I have other footwear for that), just for trudging my way towards old age, incontinence and eventual madness. But at least I’m doing it outside and occasionally I have to cross a stream or even, god forbid, get wet or muddy.

scotroutes

I live in Salomon XA Pros. They are available in a range of colours, including black and are right at your budget.

lb77

North Face Hedgehogs? Mine are just coming to end of life after 3 years and they’ve been ace. Will definitely be going for another pair.

Davesport

Exactly what Scotroutes said. Mesh or Goretex uppers depending on you preference. Gore hot and sweaty during the “warmer” months. I get a year of solid use out of mine before they’re relegated to being outdoor slippers.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Merrells are better with Speedfeet insoles in.

There’s a new grey color this year :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Merrell-Gore-Tex-Hiking-Boots-Black/dp/B07KM9Q9B8/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Merrell%2BMoab&qid=1571386784&sr=8-6&th=1&psc=1

they were a bit cheaper yesterday

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

New Yeezy 23rd Nov.  Otherwise ask Flashy 🙂

lunge

Nike Pegasus Trail, with Gore-tex if you so desire. Loads of colours depending on how lively you’re feeling. Seriously comfy and look a bit more interesting than your standard Merrells.

null

null

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Whatever you like?

I’m not getting this obsession with having to fit a stereotype of “I’m X yrs old ergo I must where Y clothes….”

NOI just my humble opinion..

Harry_the_Spider

It was a joke.

I just want some non-bling walking trainers that can take a bit of abuse and last for 2 years. My default is to get Merrells as they fit, are in budget and I can get them online without having to waste a couple of hours of my non existent spare time by going shopping. However the paragraph that I just wrote is a bit dull.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Big fan of Adidas terrex gtx mids..(they also do a low version). Reasonably waterproof, lightweight, pretty robust.

ads678

What mrlebowski said. You’re a man not a number!!

Those merrells look dull as ****. Buy something red!

Harry_the_Spider

Liking the Terrex.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d go velcro and gore-tex in case your fingers become arthritic and you lose bladder control before the trainers give out on you.

Clock is ticking my friend, clock is ticking.

Harry_the_Spider

Hmmm… Maybe something in beige from The Mail on Sunday colour supplement.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sorry I got distracted by some porcelain cottages. What’s the question again?

easily
    Free Member

I’m not sure if you’d call these trainers, and they are expensive, but they are the perfect middle-age-man shoes in my opinion
    Men's Tree Runners – Charcoal (Charcoal Sole)
    They are incredibly light.comfortable, and breathable.They are understated – you could use them to ride a skateboard, yet they don’t scream “look at me … I can still ride a skateboard”.
    I use them to cycle to work, and they’re just about smart enough to wear when I get there.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It was a joke.

My apologies Harry….

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Had a pair of these for about 4 years now and love them For me they are very comfy and despite some of the reviews have lasted very well. Salomon GTX

Wonder about an alternative as they are getting a bit long in the tooth now but not yet seen anything that tempts me enough

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m into year three with Lidl ‘running’ trainers. I use them for walking about in. £12.99 well spent. I am 52yrs old and they are as invisible as a 50 year-old.

New Yeezy

Shred
    Free Member

I’m looking for something else than my Merrell’s. They seem to push against my arch in my left foot, causing me issues, tendinitis across the top of the foot and ankle.
    I’ve stopped wearing them and all the symptoms are going away, so now having to look for something else. Might just try the Salomons this time.

DezB
    Free Member

the perfect middle-age-man shoes…

I do hope you go sockless.. v cool 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brooks Cascadia GTX.

Harry_the_Spider

Just Googled Brooks Cascadia GTX.

They are vile with just a hint of “Discount Daisy”* about them.

😉

Terrex in blue and yellow is winning, although i’m quite taken with the Moabs in grey with the Caramac sole, but mostly because I can order them online without having to step foot in a shop.

The Salomons look fine too, but the logo across the back is not far off the size of the CANONDALE sign writing splattered all over my bike.

*A reference that only people aged 50 brought up in Bury will understand.

scaled
    Free Member

https://www.startfitness.co.uk/running/shoes/off-road-trai.html?dir=asc&order=price

I seem to end up with one of the cheap ones from ‘ere

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 Start Fitness for my off-road-y trainer needs.

Cougar

Had a pair of these for about 4 years now and love them For me they are very comfy and despite some of the reviews have lasted very well. Salomon GTX

This. I’m on my third pair of Salomons after wearing the previous two pairs flat, comfiest footwear I’ve ever owned. Worn daily, a few years old now and still look nearly new. They’re pricey but there’s almost always some sort of sale on at Go Outdoors:

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/s:salamon/gen:mens/ (Sort by price, low > high).

For example,

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15898290/salomon-men-s-x-radiant-gtx-walking-shoe-15898290

£120 shoe for £60, near identical to what I’m wearing right now. Gore-Tex lined, a “cushioning EnergyCell midsole” (whatever that means) and grippier then Gripper Stebson.

stevextc
    Free Member

Smart casual or whatever it’s called I mainly wear 5 tens until they start looking tatty after a couple of years then use them on the bike.

For more serious duty I currently have some cheap karrimor ones….

plumber
    Free Member

Salomon XA Pro

I buy a pair off amazon every 18 months or so wear them everyday. Perfect for me with loads of stupid colours

doomanic

I’ve been wearing Merrells for years but I’m not very impressed with either the wet grip or the longevity of my last pair. The most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned though.

I bought some Sketchers in the sale at Debenhams and while they are comfortable enough I cannot see them lasting well.

petec
    Free Member

ooh you can get a decathlon pair with a little sock thingy to look really trendy

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mh900-mens-waterproof-walking-shoes-black-id_8503797.html

fasthaggis

ooh you can get a decathlon pair with a little sock thingy to look really trendy

On a construction site maybe 😉

Break that dull Sunday supplement (75% off) mould and get a pair of KEEN, they just scream adventure 🙂

Must be KEEN

Liftman

ignore

Harry_the_Spider

+++UPDATE+++

Went for another pair of Merrells, but in “racey” grey with the caramel soles.

Shoot me in the head.

easily
    Free Member

DezB

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of socks.

chewkw
    Free Member

Merrell Moab 2 coz I just bought a pair.

fasthaggis

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of socks

U Wut

SOcks for all
    🙂

I don’t understand the love for Salmon XA up there.

Worst walking/running shoe I ever owned. Fortunately they fall apart after a year so you can throw them away.

nickc

somewhat has saved me some vitriol, Salomon XA are just awful awful Shopping Mall specials

geomickb
    Free Member

Whatever is on sale at Rock and Run, bought 4 pairs of 5:10s last time.

footflaps

I’ve been using Salomon XA as my outdoor slippers / gardening shoes for years now. Very comfy for mowing the lawn…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Sensible trainers for the middle-aged man’ is closed to new replies.