Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Senna died 15 years ago today – what were YOU doing?
  • clubber
    Free Member

i watched the race and shortly after the crash had to leave for a rowing race in London docklands. Got back home afterwards and sadly heard the news i was expecting.

Setting aside the sadness of Senna dying, it also robbed us of what i reckon would have been two or three years of amazing senna and schumacher battles.

Pickers

Visiting family in Llandudno at the time, didn’t see race but was told when we got back to the folks house. The next time we visited one of the space shuttles exploded, and then driving up there couple of years ago came on the radio that Colin McRae had been killed. Spooky.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Was watching the race and trying to convince myself I had seen him move his head shortly after coming to rest. Didn’t one of the drivers drive round the track after a few minutes, to see what was happening or something?

joe1983
    Free Member

I was only 10, but was obsessed with F1. Remember driving (edit: being driven!) back from visiting some friends of my parents listening to it on the radio, it was a lovely sunny day if memory serves.

Harry_the_Spider

I remember calling my dad in when the crash had just happened by shouting “Senna has just died”. The way his head flopped about. Awful.

caledonia
    Free Member

I was sat there watching it (15 at the time) and hoping he’d move.
    Was a very very un-nerving sight seeing that car take off from the kerb and ‘float’ over the sand trap.

Still sends a cold shiver down my back.

nickc

I was at Stonleigh at the Kit Car show when the news went through the main hall like wild fire.

fizzer
    Free Member

Driving over Whinlatter Pass after doing a walk near Loweswater listening to Ipswich Town vs Man Utd on 5 live. They interrupted the match to break the news. Inconsiderate b’stards could’ve waited till half time.

We won BTW 2-1

garnyam
    Free Member

Not a big F1 fan.(motoGP)
    We were camped at Buttermere, been doing a bit of backpacking, always took a radio, heard it on Radio 4. Then remember walking down to the lake side the following morning and Buttermere was absolutely flat calm, beautiful.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was watching it. Wheeeeeeee smack.

C’est la vie.

Sandwich

Pickers stay away from Llandudno. 😀

sharkbait
    Free Member

Surfing @ Hells Mouth N.Wales. Very sad, terible weekend.

hotcharge
    Free Member

i was watching the race in helsinki, just started a 6 month university placement / work experience. F1 is massive in Finland and i just remember the girl i was seeing at the time (hot finnish chick) crying all day that sunday.. I still cant believe that we were robbed of a true, true legend instead of the germanic robot we had to endure for 10 years or so.

RepacK
    Free Member

At home, lovely warm sunny day, turned to a chilled heartless day..Sorry but I liked Senna a lot..Terrible way to die..

zaskar
    Free Member

I watched it all live on tv when I should have been doing my GCSE homework.

I was stunned by the Saturday death (Ford Simtek MTV/Roland) and nobody gave a toss until Sunday when Senna died at the same place.

I remember the ariel helicopter view on tv with Senna out of the car and the emergency crew over him. Not a great sight for anyone in that position.

I feel sorry for anyones death but to me Senna was a great driver but no equally special than a fat rider on this forum I would treat equally as him.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Sennas death was a ‘Kennedy moment’ then? No disrespect to the guy and I know he was a great talent but it really had that effect on you?

zaskar
    Free Member

I guess he was a hero to some Heather like Princess Di was to alot but not me.

I don’t worship heroes but after reading the forum for years I’m not going to take the pi%% as I usually do.

Let them rejoice in their hero(s) if it makes them happy and keeps them off drugs etc.

twohats
    Free Member

Came back from a race at Eston Hills to find out Senna had died.
    Lost interest in F1 afterwards and imho, it has never been the same since…

RepacK
    Free Member

Zaskar what are you saying? Keep them off the drugs? WTF is that supposed to mean?

BigCol
    Free Member

I was riding at a NEMA mtb race in teeside (eston hills??). They announced the crash over the tannoy….

rOcKeTdOg

camping near Up Hatherly nr Cheltenham in an ex BT LDV boxvan

trailmonkey

I was surfing, way down in the far west of Cornwall. It was a great weekend with good surf and nice weather. Not really a fan of F1 but it seemed like it was a big deal to a lot of people.

the-muffin-man

I was out on a long road ride. I’d had no intention of going riding that day as I’m a massive F1 fan and never missed a race, but my mate talked me into riding because it was such a nice day! I taped the race though and still have recordings of both the qualifying and race.

Potdog
    Free Member

Sat watching the race and thinking “Oh Shit!”

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I was watching the qualifying when RR had his fatal accident on the Saturday and watching the race on the Sunday when Senna had his fatal accident.
    The Imola circuit was redesigned for the following season and more or less sanitied the epic races we used to watch.
    (Hans devices were taken from American Indie car racing and made compulsory in F1)

zaskar
    Free Member

RepacK – Member
    Zaskar what are you saying? Keep them off the drugs? WTF is that supposed to mean?

Keep the weirdos who can’t think for themselves and to keep them off the streets etc. Just kidding.

“Whatever makes the people happy!” is the best way to put it. Senna made folks on here “Happy”.

Some folks are happy and don’t need a hero. Then there is the media circus ploughed into peoples brains but lets not go there… 😈

roundwheels
    Free Member

i was on the west coast of Scotland visiting ayr’s toon center

RepacK
    Free Member

No need for cheap shots Zaskar – Senna was a hero for a lot of people world wide, whats up dont you have any heroes??

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I destinctly remember that afternoon.. I’d just returned from a MTB club ride at Motosport in Cranleigh, Surrey.

..Settled down to watch the F1 as usual, and then everything just became a bit surreal.. Sad day.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Senna died 15 years ago today – what were YOU doing?’ is closed to new replies.