Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Senior moments in bike maintainance
  • rusty90
    Free Member

My brakes were feeling rather squishy so I decided to give them a bleed this morning.

Removed rear wheel and brake pads, attached syringe of mineral oil to bleed nipple. Removed reservoir cap and fitted collecting cup to front brake lever. Spent 5 minutes heaving on the syringe wondering why nothing was happening.

Anyone care to share similar tales to reassure me I’m not entering my dotage?

MarkN
    Free Member

So the front brakes are sorted now then. 😆

Phil_H

Forgetting the inner bearing on a hope xc freehub body was held in with a circlip, rest in vice, smack, smack, ping as part of the freehub body flew across the shed.
    Not opening the bleed nipple properly when bleeding my brakes, leaning on the syringe so hard it came off the master cylinder and sprayed brake fluid all over my face. Ran to the shower swearing. 😳
    Now I wear safety specs whenever I bleed my brakes

wwaswas

I’ve refitted the lowers to a set of forks the wrong way round after an oil change.

In my defence I did realise before they were back on the bike.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Upgraded some older SLX shifters to some new shiney XT ones. Spend ages getting the cables just right, making sure the shifting and indexing were absolutely spot on, grips/brakes etc. refitted.

’twas a perfect job until I’d realised I’d just taken the SLX shifters off, then put them back on again. The XT ones were still sitting it the box waving at me…

stevied
    Free Member

Done the old “threading the chain on the outside of the seatstay” a couple of times or “not going through the front mech because it’s in the granny ring position”. Most of my mistakes are chain related…bloody things!!

tthew

I was refilling a pair of Shimano brakes, from the reservoir end and bleeding into a tube at the caliper. Thought it was taking an awful lot of oil, until I realised I’d not chocked the pistons, one of which had popped out. The puddle of oil soaking into my sock alerted me to my mistake. 🙄

Northwind

OH GOD by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

dday

Fitting summer tyres (tubeless) sweating to get inflation with crappy floor pump.
    Front was on the rear, rear was on the front, rotation wrong on both counts. And worst of all, logos misaligned! Yeesh. 👿

Oh, and Lefty loosey, righty tighty does not apply when bike is upside down.

dday

@Northwind: And we have a winner! 😆

khani
    Free Member

Fitted a new ten speed XT groupset to my bike to replace the nine speed on it, spent an hour trying to index it with no joy. After said hour noticed the shiney new ten speed cassette still in the box… 😳

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Senior moments in bike maintainance’ is closed to new replies.