Sending Expensive Frames By Courier

Home Forum Bike Forum Sending Expensive Frames By Courier

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Sending Expensive Frames By Courier
  • Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Might be worth looking at CRC type bike specific policies and see what they cover? May not be any cheaper but you’d get a years cover our of it.

DanW

Have you tried various options through Parcel2Go?

What would be the real cost of replacing this £2500 frame- could you insure for a lower amount?

Is driving it to them yourself at least an option, even if in one direction?

Buy the tape and do it yourself?

Other frame kits from other manufacturers?

Just a few options 😀

recipher

So, I want to send my expensive new carbon frame to Invisiframe to get measured and wrapped. I can find a courier no problem, for a reasonable amount.

However, none of them insure anything much over £50-100, and every one I’ve found so far prices insurance in the range of 4%, which means that I’m paying over £200 to insure the frame in both directions.

Anyone got any solutions?

I’m wondering if I should use my home/contents insurance. Is that possible? How to bike companies/distributors handle this? Do they have their own insurance?

It’d be cheaper to drive to Shrewsbury and back (if I didn’t have to stay overnight!)

Ta.

recipher

Thanks.

Yes, I tried the various options with Parcel2Go. None of them provide cheap insurance. Which is expected, I guess.

So, the real cost of replacing the £2500 frame would be £2500, since it’s brand new.

Driving it to them isn’t an option. It’s hours away. It’d have to be both ways anyway, since I still have to insure it coming back again anyway (£100+).

I would like to buy the tape and do it myself, but they don’t have a design – they need my frame to design it from. It’s possible they might get hold of my frame in my size to do it, but it doesn’t look particularly likely. At least, not any time soon.

I’m not aware of any other frame kits, apart from generic ones.

Haven’t looked into CTC insurance. But I will. I was hoping someone might have some experience with it.

I seem to have 2 choices – send it without insurance and hope for the best. Don’t send it, and just copter tape it.

give http://www.bikeflights.com a go

sent my Nicolai to Germany (one way admitedly) but it was fully insured for £2000

tracked, shipped and no problems at all – i posted on here a while ago about them

i would have thought from UK to UK they’d be cheaper and they do round trips too

DanW

What is the frame?

It seems it is the measuring up causing the issue and extra expense/ hassle.

Plenty of companies provide custom frame protection, if we know the frame someone might know of an existing custom tape supplier.

Can the company not get hold of a demo frame/ bike to measure up and you apply the new design frame protection yourself at home?

Is there anything the custom route offers that heli-taping yourself doesn’t? Unless is is a peculiar frame then down tube, chainstays, seatstays and headtube should be tricky to cover yourself.

recipher

They can’t get hold of a demo bike. Probably because it’s an XL.

I’ve found that Frameskin in Oz do one, but I was hoping to get something more “local”.

What does the custom route give me? A nicer finish effectively, something that retains the elegance of my very nicely designed carbon frame. And yep, it’s quite unusual, relative to a double diamond frame. Aren’t all carbon FS bikes though?

I’ll look at bikeflights, thanks.

DanW

Carbon, £2500 frame, unusual design, available on Frameskin… no ideas! A Santa Cruz? Yeti? Knowing the frame really would help locate an alternative solution…

DanW

Assuming you bought from your LBS can they not arrange shipping for you? They must post stuff all the time. Least they can do for you having got so much money out of you 😀

Or ask the LBS to Heli-Tape it for you? You never know you might be surprised at the delicate skills behind the ham fist appearance… or maybe not 😀

Alternatively can invisiframe do the tape and covering free for you since you are having to go to a lot of effort and expense to essentially give them a new product? I am sure many others wish for their pride and joy to be protected as you do so they can sell some frame kits in the future besides just yours. Might be worth a phone call to explain the cost of insurance. Then treat it like a £200 professional frame protection job which isn’t so bad…

recipher

Why do you need to know the frame in order to find out how it can be insured to send by courier?

I can find alternative frame wraps. It’s bike insurance by courier which is defeating me.

It’s a Yeti SB95C.

recipher

LBS can arrange shipping. Won’t be insured. Or at least, I’m not 100% certain if it will be, so…

Doesn’t matter if Invisiframe do it for free (they won’t, nor would I expect them to). It’s a limited market. Even if they did, it doesn’t miraculously solve my insurance problem. Spending £260 or £200, it’s still expensive.

They already know about the insurance problem. Nothing they can do there.

Thanks for your help.

I’m trying to work out if bikeflights will work, at the moment, it’s not allowing me to send within the UK. Otherwise, I’ll use Frameskin.

DanW

Knowing the frame would have helped locate the custom frame kit from elsewhere that didn’t need to measure it for you and make it from scratch. Seems that isn’t the issue…

What you are basically saying is you want to pay £100 (cheapest I guess you can hope for) to 200 (current price you have already found) to have someone put the tape on for you?

Well if you can find alternative frame wraps from elsewhere what is wrong with doing it yourself or asking the LBS to do it for you? Shipping the frame seems like a daft an expensive solution to a simple problem of sticking some clear tape on your frame

Just trying to think laterally as the insured courier isn’t likely to be cheap. Out of ideas now

billytinkle

What carriers have you tried? TNT have liability up to £15k on each consignment looking at their terms and conditions.

If I was using them (or any carrier) to send it though I think I’d use enough bubble wrap to ensure it was damage free even if a bomb went off beside it!

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Go yourself, have a ride at Eastridge or the Long Mynd. Maybe pop over to Wales.

recipher

I’ll look at TNT. Thanks.

There’s nothing wrong with doing it myself, but the wrap I’ve found is from Australia. I’d rather pay someone from the UK, but if I can’t then I’ll do that, yes.

Yep, shipping the frame does seem daft!

recipher

I’m more worried about it being lost or stolen than being damaged.

Sorry if I sounded snarky. I appreciate the help!

recipher

TNT T+Cs.

“is at all times limited to the lower of the market value of the shipment at the time of carriage or the cost of repairing the shipment or the part affected with in each case an upper limit that does not exceed £15 per kilo limited to a maximum of £15,000 per shipment”

So, not £15k, but more likely to be about £90. I think, it’s not entirely clear!

Why are you covering it in tape? That defeats the purpose of having a lightweight carbon frame

DanW

Very true David! I have done the down tube and chainstay of my Scalpel and that was nearly 100g extra! You would pay decent money to loose that kind of weight from anywhere else on the bike

MrGFisher

I bought a Frameskin from Australia for my Mojo HD. Good stuff and the guy (Mike if I recall) is a nice fella too. Funnily enough I live near Shrewsbury and hadn’t heard of Invisiframe.

b r

It’d be cheaper to drive to Shrewsbury and back (if I didn’t have to stay overnight!)

Where in the country do you live that you can’t do Home to Shrewsbury and back in a day, Fort William?

tbh I just bought some helicopter tape and did my carbon frame myself – a bit a care and a couple of hours will sort it.

kentos1978

Try postage supermarket. You can take out the insurance directly with them. I sent a cervelo bike with them.

The courier damaged it, which wasn’t their fault at all, but they were excellent at sorting it out. Paid out the full value and then let me buy it back for parts.

Couldn’t fault them but will probably still be quite expensive which must reflect how often couriers damage parcels!

recipher

Thanks. I’m probably just going to use Frameskin, or maybe just do it myself. Undecided. No rush, it’ll be weeks before I’m in possession of all the parts.

I live in the Borders. I can’t go up and down in a day, because it’ll take Invisiframe a couple of days to design and create the wrap.

For those of you who think I shouldn’t wrap it, because it’ll make it heavier – really? 100g, 200g? It’s not an XC bike, I don’t care about it being 200g heavier. I do care about keeping it in reasonable condition for as long as I can. There are other reasons to buy a carbon frame than weight.

Ta.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Sending Expensive Frames By Courier’ is closed to new replies.