Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sending back an ‘uncleared’ phone to an ebay seller.
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

I bought a new iPhone from an eBay seller (very good feedback) but its stopped working. I now have to send it back, but because its not charging or switching on I can’t reset it to the factory settings and delete all my personal info. How risky is this and what could I do about it? The seller is from Salford but the standard return messages are full of broken English so I’m now thinking they might be based in China. Salford return address though.

kelron
    Free Member

What kind of personal info do you have on there? I can’t imagine a business selling phones is going to go to the effort of breaking in/recovering data from it, but there’s inevitably some risk as you can’t wipe it yourself.

I’d follow the “no longer have your iPhone” steps here and send it back: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201351

Killer
    Free Member

isn’t there an option on your computer icloud to remotely wipe a phone (once its turned on)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

It’s an iPhone so if you’ve have it locked with a key code they’re not getting anything off it. As mentioned above to you can remote wipe it.

Also if it is new the warranty is transferred to you so you can go to an Apple store.

zilog6128

It took the FBI months and almost a million bucks to crack a 5C… apparently the tool they developed doesn’t work on anything else… think you’ll be safe from a Salford market trader 🤣

peekay

I bought a refurbished android a couple of years ago.

Great condition, clear of any data, almost indistinguishable from a brand new one.

Every time I turn it on though, in any location based app the GPS thinks that I am up on the Moors about 2 miles Embasay Reservoir near Skipton. It then gets a more local ping and shows my true location. I live in Surrey and no matter where I am in the world it does the same.

Makes me think that maybe that is where it was originally lost/damaged/found/reset before it made its way on to the refurbished network.

Any other possible explanations?

Drac

The GPS chip is broken. The phone being locked or reset wouldn’t stick it to one location. My daughter has hers stolen, I locked it remotely. I was able to track right up until the police knocked on the door of the thief, it miraculously disappeared just before that.

martinhutch

Every time I turn it on though, in any location based app the GPS thinks that I am up on the Moors about 2 miles Embasay Reservoir near Skipton.

Send me the location. I’ll pop up and check you’re not there.

peekay

The GPS chip is broken

Not sure this is the case, as as soon as it finds a signal it tracks accurately and . It is on the Yorkshire location for only a few moments upon powering on before it finds the present location.

On other Android phones the “default” location is where it last had GPS signal. ( Example, turn your phone off, get on a plane, when you get to the destination turn phone on and open Google maps, the blue dot will likely be on your departure airport until it finds a new signal and moves to that).

Here is the mystery location. Could somebody local please visit there and let me know if there is a ‘lost phone’ notice pinned to a lamp post, or a decaying body that has been mugged. Thanks.

53°59’21.9″N 2°00’33.0″W
    Skipton BD23 6PP
    https://goo.gl/maps/rT663Etfa6AsyajB6

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sending back an ‘uncleared’ phone to an ebay seller.’ is closed to new replies.