Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sending a bike to NZ – options?
  • stevious

Am moving to New Zealand for a while in August, and will be sending most of the bikes/skis/etc in a container, but want to send a bike over in advance so I’m not left bikeless for too long (not enough baggage allowance to take one on the plane).

Any suggestions of which service to go for for this? Ideally won’t take 8 weeks to get there…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

airfreight, used transglobal express and the UPS deal worked out about £150 for a bike box up to 30Kg to Tasmania – not much different. Takes 10 days dependent on customs.

Have to get the size right as the max girth of the package is close.

wwaswas

maybe cheaper just to pay excess baggage on the bike?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Excess is probably about £35/kg (had 2kg on the way out)

joemarshall
    Free Member

I bought a second hand bike over there – for the several hundred quid it’d cost to send a bike there and back, second hand made more sense. Sold it on trademe (new zealand ebay thing) for 50nzd less than I bought it for too, which wasn’t bad for a few months bike hire.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Flog it and buy one there?

baznav73
    Free Member

If you do end up sending yours make sure it is spotlessly clean including tyres, NZ customs are super strict on letting any non native seeds and stuff into the country will save unecessary holdups.

NZCol

Trawl trademe and buy one.

b_man
    Free Member

I bought one over from the UK and it was only 15 quid as excess baggage, sports equiptment tends to have a special rate and is not per kg as per overweight baggage…. check with your airline…. otherwise if it’s gonna cost you more than 100 each way, buy something here. You should be able to pick up a bargain either on Trademe or the classifeds on Vorb.org.nz

Good luck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sending a bike to NZ – options?’ is closed to new replies.