Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sending a bike by post – yay or no way?
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’m going to list a bike on ebay and don’t really want to send it by post, but realistically it’ll open up more offers. I’ve managed to blag a cardboard box from my LBS who sold me the bike and if needed, I’ll post it.

a) is it even a good idea? Will it end in tears and me out of pocket?
    b) any recommended and known carriers?
    c) will the bike be Ok in the cardboard box with some extra bubble wrap etc.

The last time I sent anything of relative value, it was three motorbike panniers, one went missing, one ended up in Cornwall and the third was crushed. I had to take parcel force to small claims to get money back, it was a total mare.

Opinions welcome!

fazzini

a) is it even a good idea? Will it end in tears and me out of pocket?

Only if you do not follow the instructions/restrictions to the millimetre – as i discovered using Paisley Freight last time around. real shame as I was 1cm over on height/width combined total and it cost me.

Real shame as I’ve used PF for 4-5 bikes historically and they were always really great. If you use them just be careful. No issues whatsoever with the actual collection/delivery element of their service. TBH – if anyone buys the bike I’ve listed I’ll be using them again – only this time I’ve factored the cost of them providing me with packaging into my costs so I don’t have a repeat!

c) will the bike be Ok in the cardboard box with some extra bubble wrap etc.

My usual method and always received good reports at the delivery end that everything was OK.

abingham

Another vote for Paisley Freight here – I’ve used them for all the bikes I’ve posted in the last few years (admittedly that’s only 3 or 4) but have never had an issue with them. The online service is really easy and the comms are good too.

droplinked

I’ve used paisley freight a couple of times and no complaints here, although they were members group sales rather than via eBay. And funds were cleared and in my account before I posted it.

You can take out optional insurance too for peace of mind, although I’ve never had to claim so cannot comment on that aspect.

ads678

I got one delivered last week, think the guy used fed ex. Bought off eBay, he might have just used their delivery method. All fine though.

bruneep

last bike I sold was booked via Paisley Freight who in turn subbed it out to menzies couriers. When menzies arrived to collect he  refused to take as it was too big under their T&C’s It was fine for PF T&C’s. After a stand off me showing him my PF booking acceptance  and him calling the office he relented but he measured it very very carefully against PF dimensions on my form, wanted also weigh it but he had no scales… mine were strangely out of batteries.

Arrived ok tho.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Thanks folks, I’ve had a look at PF’s website.

It says cardboard boxes aren’t suitable and you can buy one from them, anyone got any idea how much they cost?

Is it a temporary box they use and take off the receiver at the other end?

Surely I’m good to ship it in the cardboard box that was used to ship the bike to the shop?

damascus
    Free Member

Cardboard boxes are fine. Most brand new bikes are delivered in one!

Before you start, get the couriers dimensions and check your box. I had to go all blue Peter on mine.

Also, work out your postage costs before listing it.

I sold a road bike for £800 on ebay. I sent it via parcel force. I insured it. I think it was something like £5 per £100. I had quoted £50 postage and packaging. Took me 2 hours to package it and take to the post office. £50 only got £600 insurance. Parcel force were excellent.

It was a hassle and a bit if stress posting it, hoping it arrives OK etc but I sold it straight away and got far more for it than if it had been collection only.

Just make sure you pass the costs to the buyer and make sure they are aware before they buy. Try and list on ebay when you get an offer otherwise they will take a huge chunk.

Don’t forget singletrack has a free classifieds! 😜👍

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Try and list on ebay when you get an offer otherwise they will take a huge chunk

It’s cost me £48 just to list it!

Don’t forget singletrack has a free classifieds! 😜👍

It’s been listed on here for well over a month now

andrewh
    Free Member

I always come on here to advise people to stay well clear of Paisly Freight when we get one of these threads, bunch of cowboys.
    Last one I bought came by ParcelForce and they were fine.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Sold a frame a few weeks ago – parcelforce did the delivering bit. No issues. Collected from my home and supplied the labels etc after I’d bought online.

Daffy

I’ve used Parcelforce in the past for several bikes and had no issue.

I’ve always reminded myself that the outer box is basically a carrier bag. If you want to protect what’s inside, then you have to be careful. I always wrap the tubes in bubble wrap and then wrap the bubble wrap with thick card. Rear mech off and derailer hanger pushed into hardcore foam the width of the box. Double wall the box and zip-tie any loose items to something else. Remove rotors and space out the brakes and forks. I try to wrap the front wheel as though it were going on its own, then put it in the box.

Thsi method has never let me down, but it still not going to project it from a badly stacked van or a forklift/parcel intersection.

I also always send mid week on a 24h courier with strict instructions NOT to leave it elsewhere.

damascus
    Free Member

It’s been listed on here for well over a month now

Worst stealth advert EVER! 😂

Come on, add a link

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Thanks folks, I’ve had a look at PF’s website.

It says cardboard boxes aren’t suitable and you can buy one from them, anyone got any idea how much they cost?

Am I interpreting correctly, that Paisley are saying cardboard boxes (which every bike under the sun starts its life in, getting sent around the world) aren’t suitable for shipping bikes in? Huh?

fazzini

Worst stealth advert EVER! 😂

Come on, add a link

Dammit. I thought mine was stealthy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sending a bike by post – yay or no way?’ is closed to new replies.