Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Semicolon tattoos.
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Does anyone here have a semicolon tattoo?

If you had one, would you

– have one in a hidden spot where very few people would see it

– have one in a hideable spot (for professional reasons) but people would see it if you were swimming (for example)

and

– do you explain the meaning if asked

– have a second story

I know these are personal and individual but I’m interested which brings me on to my second question.

I’d like one where the deltoid meets the tricep. From what I’ve read, this is a less painful and low wear spot i.e. ‘good’. Is that correct?

Thanks a lot

TiRed

I write a lot of sas and matlab code. Therefore I love the semicolon, but can’t see the need to embellish my body with that fact. What have I missed?

PiknMix
    Free Member

There is a link to the details in the OP.

I like the meaning behind them, I do think you would spend a lot of time explaining it though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maccruiskeen

– have one in a hidden spot where very few people would see it

That would be a Colon tattoo

SaxonRider

Oooo. That is almost perchy-worthy.

DezB
    Free Member

American mental health nonprofit organization

Does it have meaning over here? First I’ve heard of it.
    4 years ago…
    Apolgise if I see it as another social media fashion item. I’m sure it means a lot more to those who got it tattooed on them.

nickjb
    Free Member

That’s a low blow! It was better than that 🙂

darthpunk
    Free Member

a woman I worked with had one done. She spent the whole 8 years I worked there telling anyone who would listen about her struggles with mental health like it was some sort of badge of honour that made her “cool”

In the first three days of working there she told me that she kept a razor blade under her keyboard just in case she needed to cut herself. She went on sick for 6 weeks but then posted on her “jewellery business” facebook page that she finally got some time off to take a silversmithing course.

As someone who has their own issues, i find it disgusting when people feel the need to make some sort of instagram worthy movement about something that affects people in different ways. Talking about it is healthy, but talking about it like it’s like your favourite band is just **** repulsive

pocpoc
    Free Member

My wife has one on the inside of the wrist. Fairly small and discreet.
    Compared to some of the others she has it is very small and discreet!
    Doesn’t mention it to anyone unless they ask but got it because she has been suffering from anxiety for the last 5+ years.
    It’s there because it means something to her as a reminder that “this story isn’t finished” and to keep fighting.

cookeaa

Well you’ve only just made me aware of it as a ‘thing’ OP but it’s an interesting idea.

I’m still a little confused though is it meant to be done as a “statement of solidarity” with those suffering from mental health issues (i.e. you need not be a sufferer, but recognise the issues and want to show your support) or is it supposed ot be a subtle little marker for sufferers only? or a bit of both?

Anyway, whatever the reason(s) you might personally choose to do it, that probably needs to align with your chosen location. If it’s in a visible location, you are probably going to have someone strike up a conversation about it, or someone who is familiar with the theme, spot it and perhaps draw some conclusions about you (possibly without any discussion)…

Choose to place it somewhere less visible and it is really just a personal thing, that you don’t want it to be a discussion starter or send messages to others.

Personally I’d shoose somewhere less visible, but given the fact that it can be quite a small tattoo, and I’m a daily watch wearer I’d maybe have it postitioned under a watch strap where I could choose to display or cover it (say at work) and it’s easy enough for me to look at it for myself…

I suppose you could “try it out” easily enough in a couple of locations for a day or two just using a sharpie…

kayla1
    Free Member

Hmm. Bit of an odd one this. Sort of like people who do a lot of charity work but don’t like to talk about it, despite them mentioning it in the first place.

I sympathise, I really do. I have social anxiety issues and suffer from depression upon occasion and if there was a button I could press that would mean I’d never existed so wouldn’t leave a mess for those I love if I decided to shuffle off I’d use it in a shot. I use riding my bike or walking or running as a way of coping with this assorted shit but I wouldn’t want a visible reminder of it, even if was hidden in a place only me or my OH were ever likely to see. So it’s a no from me and aaaaaaah’m oot.

kimbers

what abbout a tattoo on your colon?

sorry in my work I see a lot of colons

its just a tattoo, get one if you like, if itmeans something to you thats even better, but like any part of your body, it will mean something to you over time anayway

kayla1
    Free Member

Bin dun ^^^

funkmasterp

I agree with Kayla and darthpunk on this one. Pretty much every day is a struggle and I wouldn’t want others to know that. If it helps you though OP, I suppose that’s a good thing.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Well, all except you @maccruiskeen 🙂

Daftpunk – I agree however think that anyone who needs to discuss their problems as a badge of honor clearly does have problems and probably should discuss them; maybe not at work, of course.

Kayla – “I wouldn’t want a visible reminder of it” I get this, but that’s a negative view of your own achievements. Can you put a positive spin on it? The idea of continuing when you could have stopped is a powerful one. You’re winning and that’s amazing. You might not want a tattoo to remind you of that but do remember that when you could have given up, you didn’t.

There’s a lot to think about. I like the idea of someone who does understand the tattoo to see they’re not alone. However, it would be for me which is why the options were always hidden or usually hidden. If I were after a bigger tattoo then a hidden in plain sight design would appeal. That’s not for me though.

@PocPoc
    – mine is more like your wife’s than a big instagramable one.

Thanks all

kayla1
    Free Member

You’re winning and that’s amazing

It’s more like a nil-nil draw with extra time looming sometimes… 😆

PiknMix
    Free Member

It’s more like a nil-nil draw with extra time looming sometimes… 😆

So still all to play for. 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

OP – your chosen position is relatively painless, but from someone whos had tattoos on most parts of the body, one the size you are aiming for will not cause any distress on 95% of your skin. Pick you favourite spot and go for it, that design is likely to take no more than 5 mins once they’ve fully prepped.

Fingers, feet, armpit into chest, ribs, knees, these areas will pinch a bit..

forked
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to make myself unemployable, so if I got one, I’d get it in a concealed location.

If someone did spot it, and go on to ask me about it, I’d probably reply with “have you ever felt like you didn’t want to be here? Because if I tell you the meaning of my tattoo, you’ll almost certainly feel that way.”

I’d likely get a tattoo with a more positive meaning, perhaps a tigers eye, which symbolises “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor. I think I’d add my favourite lines (Went the distance, now I’m back on my feet, Just a man and his will to survive) underneath in Chinese style writing.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

So who is this tatt for amd why?
    Ive read the link so why are you getting one`?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Chinese style writing.

Please don’t do this.

rOcKeTdOg

SaxonRider

Subscriber

surgeons do tattoo the colon and bowel mid exraction so that Histopathologists can easily take samples to test for cancer sites more quickly rather than taking a wider blanket sample.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

As someone who’s lost a brother to suicide I think anything that raises awareness is a good thing. One of my cycling jerseys has semi colons on it (I had one made as I did a ride for CALM last year) for that reason.

I have considered having the tattoo and would probably have it on my wrist if I did.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Semicolon tattoos.’ is closed to new replies.