Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Semi-active and lazy things to do in Norway?
  • stevious

Hi all, I’m off to Norway with my good lady for just over a week this summer. We’re not able to do the usual thing of biking/walking all day long so we’re hiring a camper in Oslo and planning on heading out towards Bergen.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things/places we should go and check out? We’ll probably have wetsuits with us for swimming, and are looking at a day or two of sea kayaking (not sure where yet).

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Vinte
    Free Member

Hire Ebikes.

nedrapier

Jotunheim region – “Home of the giants” – head up something big. Store Smorstabtinden plus a loop of other peaks is a great walk; info and maps from the hostel at the bottom of the hill. Beautiful driving too.

DrJ

From Bergen you can take a “Norway in a nutshell” boat/train trip. Also there is a funicular railway up from the town to a plateau where you can wander in the wilderness without too much effort. Basically anything to avoid the horror of Norwegian food.

IHN

Does anyone have any suggestions of things/places we should go and check out?

From my experience of Norway, you’ll be checking out the cash machines pretty often

Also there is a funicular railway up from the town to a plateau where you can wander in the wilderness without too much effort.

This is a nice thing to do, train up, wander around, wander back down again.

We went from Bergen to Geiranger in our camper van, pretty spectacular place and great walks and ferry rides along the fjord.

allthegear
    Free Member

Preikestolen – it does mean walking for a bit but it’s worth it.

Definitely go to a hut up on the Hardangervidda

Oh, and that reminds me – The Heroes of Telemark

Rachel

perchypanther
    Free Member

Bird watching?

I hear the parrots are remarkable. Beautiful plumage.

5lab

check out https://www.muchbetteradventures.com/ – i’ve no affilication but they look like just my sort of thing

nedrapier

just driving around is a pretty good semi-lazy way of seeing the country. Not a lot of big, fast roads, so covering ground takes time and you do it slowly enough that you can look out the window, stop regularly to walk down to the river /fjord for swims/photos/strawberry picking.

stevious

Thanks for the tips so far. We’ve been to Norway before so we know what to expect in terms of costs/food etc.

Does anyone know if heading south to Stavanger way is worth it?

redmist
    Free Member

Couple of famous hikes to do from Stavanger, Preiekestolen and the Kjerag boulder. Otherwise probably not too much different from what you’d get round Bergen or Geiranger way. Nice coastline down to Kristiansand too,south coast is supposed to be fantastic in the summer so might be good for lazy things to do

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Have you heard of the Norwegian tourist routes? It is probably worth a look to give you an idea of where you might drive? You can then check out as much or as little as you like form these routes as they have a lot of tourist spots, viewpoints, pavilions, installations, sculptures, architecturey things etc along the routes..

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

When are you going? I’m moving to a farm east of Bergen (Kvanndal) come mid-July if you fancy some cheap accommodation!

stevious

Hi Anus, thanks for the info – I think we used some of the tourist route signs to find stuff in Lofoten. We’re heading over at the start of July, but thanks for the offer!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Bergen is lovely, but like the rest of Norway, very expensive.

As suggested, take the Fløibanen to the summit of Mount Fløyen – if it’s clear the views are stunning. I believe there is a zipline which might be worth checking out?

Go the dockside when the fishing boats return and buy freshly cooked king prawns that could not be any fresher!

If you do head to Stavanger, Kjeragbolten is not too far so would be the thing to visit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Semi-active and lazy things to do in Norway?’ is closed to new replies.