Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Selv levelling suspension
  • Premier Icon molgrips

As in, when you load up the car it pumps up the rear springs so it stays level – what cars can you get it on? Probably some SUVs and I think Volvo do it. What else? Passats used to have it as an option but I don’t think they do any more.

Premier Icon suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Subarus have it. Hence there’s quite a few old ones driving around like speed boats…

Premier Icon Northwind

(neither of my subarus have it)

Various mondeos do but I think it was always either an option, or only on higher end cars.

Premier Icon wobbliscott

Think it was an optional extra on some Ford Mondeo estates. Seem to remember a mate ripping it out when dampers needed replacing as the self levelling ones were alot more expensive than the stock passive ones.

Premier Icon mattbee

My Disco 3 does that.

Premier Icon molgrips

In some cars the dampers pump themselves up to a pre-set height regardless of load, others have a compressor that does it.

Premier Icon joebristol

My Jag XF Sportbrake has it – I stuck nearly 300kgs of sand / cement in the boot a while back and it didn’t look like there was anything in there

Premier Icon tthew

Er, Citroën do, (or did) a lot.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen

Mini metro 🙂

Premier Icon dovebiker
    Free Member

Hydro-pneumatic self-levelling suspension first appeared on the Citroen Traction Avant in the 1950s. Common on lots of large estates.

Premier Icon db

My old v60 Volvo had it. Not hydro pneumatic. Made the rear suspension quite hard when there was no load but useful when towing.

Premier Icon WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Rolls Royce

Premier Icon IA

5 series touring (estates) do it.

Premier Icon wobbliscott

Think some BMW touring motorbikes do it too to prevent dazzling of oncoming drivers when there is a pillion on board or alot of weight in panniers. Seems motorbikes don’t really seem to care or even know they are often dazzling oncoming drivers. especially those BMW GS riders with those additional fairing mounted spot lights that seem to be deliberately aimed into the retinas of oncoming drivers.

Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

I remember a mate getting his parent’s Citroen BX wedged between a couple of garden walls when he was badly negotiating a driveway. It was a highly unlikely situation and if he hadn’t had the ability to raise the suspension he’d still be stuck there now. 25+ years later.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

Opened thread thinking this was about hebtroco starting to sell braces for their jeans 🙄

Premier Icon Killer
    Free Member

All the Range Rovers (when it doesn’t fail)
    my 2007 E61 BMW Estate had it too. assume the newer 5 series also have it

Premier Icon lovewookie

saw this thread and immediately remembered the joy of our old citroen GSA, and the magic carpet CX

Premier Icon footflaps

Opened thread thinking this was about hebtroco starting to sell braces for their jeans

Hand made vegan leather made from 100% British Vegans and hand stitched in a shed in Yorkshire. £499 a set.

Premier Icon Markie

An option on Ford Galaxys, or at least was a couple years ago.

Premier Icon tthew

saw this thread and immediately remembered the joy of our old citroen GSA, and the magic carpet CX

I still maintain that the BX’s I owned were the most comfortable cars I ever had for a long, swift, (this was before making progress was frowned upon) motorway and main road journey.

Premier Icon ji
    Free Member

The big Lexus have(had?) it. Great when it worked but pricey when it fails.

Premier Icon swedishmatt
    Free Member

Hyundai Santa Fe 2010 reg 7 seater had it, but only in 7 seat version. Suspect the Kia Sorrento did it too.

Premier Icon Jakester
    Free Member

Subarus have it. Hence there’s quite a few old ones driving around like speed boats…

My Forester did. But the cost of new dampers when they go was eye-watering – something like £1,400 a side.

So it doesn’t any more.

Premier Icon idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Audi A6 Allroads with the air suspension do this – not the A4 Allroads as they have standard coil springs IIRC.

Premier Icon DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My T5 has it 😉

Premier Icon neilco
    Free Member

My Prado has it. Worked great with 150kg tow ball weight.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

My Citroen C4 Picasso had it. Stopped working due to leaky ‘springs’ and pretty much wiped the entire value off it. Citroen were doing warranty replacements however I bought mine second hand and didn’t have the right paperwork and was about 3 months out of the window in which you could get it done.

Wouldn’t willingly get another car with it…

Premier Icon faz71

As above, my A6 allroad self levels with it’s air suspension – main reason why I bought it.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

Hand made vegan leather made from 100% British Vegans and hand stitched in a shed in Yorkshire. £499 a set.

Only available in garish colours and modelled by rotund middle aged men on motorbikes. 👌

Premier Icon BigJohn

I’m reminded of the time when I parked my Citroen GS with the driver’s side against a tall kerb. When I got back the suspension had settled down, as they did, so I couldn’t open the door.

Premier Icon Pete
    Free Member

Mercedes E Class Estates have self levelling rear suspension..

Premier Icon fazzini

Vauxhall certainly used to on higher spec vectras. Think they might still on insignias etc

Premier Icon snotrag

Most E-Class/5 Series/A6 Avant and other similar sized Estates have it. Any other Merc with Airmatic (optional on the saloons for instance) does it.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Mini metro

Have you ever driven one after the hydro-gas (or whatever the hell it was) unit had failed? I drove mine (very carefully) to the garage with a hugely jacked up rear end that bounced along at an alarming rate after mine had failed.

Premier Icon mazdarati

@molgrips given your car issues in the Merc thread, I would be avoiding self-levelling like the plague. It’s a when, not if, fail item. There’s a reason that you can find air springs and compressors on the shelf in just about every motor factors. Fine if your first owner, rolling the dice on anything 5yrs old plus

Premier Icon spooky_b329

Used to have a BX, I remember coming back to find it grounded in the mud and an imprint of the underside of the car. And a relative trying to handbrake turn his into a grassy parking spot and nearly crunching it on some posts (handbrake is on the front wheels)

Anyway, all I wanted to say was I saw a pristine BX estate yesterday on the road, you don’t see many, I hope there are plenty tucked up in garages.

Wasn’t it someone on here that repaired their leaky hydropnuematic suspension with Stans fluid?!

Premier Icon Greybeard

Had two BXs. Very comfortable, only sold the second as my son grew too tall to sit in it. Very useful to get out of a ditch when push off a narrow lane. Unfortunately, while camping in Austria, dumped all its fluid on a day trip in Germany, and RAC wouldn’t recover it across the border.

Premier Icon prettygreenparrot

Tesla model s and model x both have rise & fall and adaptive air suspension that self levels.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.