Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Selling the lot…
  • the-muffin-man

…as I keep moving and stumbling over the bikes and kit in the shed and all my old cycle clothing is filling the underbed storage. And I have trays of old spares knocking around.

I’ve not really ridden for 7+ years now and I might drag the bike out the shed once or twice a year if it’s properly warm the sun is shining. And my ‘best bike’ is an 18yr old On-One! 🙂

I keep thinking of having a full clear-out as realistically it ain’t getting used any time soon. Probably sell the decent stuff and donate the spares to charity.

Then if I do get the urge to return to cycling in a few years, it will all be shiny and new, not riding old bikes and in kit that remind me of the days when I was properly fit. 🤣🚵‍♂️

Anyone else just bombed the lot off?

the-muffin-man

Bump to make visible!

johnnystorm

Sort of. Similar issue, couldn’t move for bikes in the garage and only used the ones near the top of the pile.

I sold two fat bikes and a frame, two roadbikes, a big dummy and gravel bike. In turn I have also bought a new full susser and a kiddyback tandem but those widen my options. With Summer approaching I’ll have to see about getting rid of wee nipper’s old bikes that she’s grown out of.

nickjb
    Free Member

I don’t think I’d ever sell the lot but I have had a big clear out over lockdown. I’m a bit of hoarder but I do end up using bits and bobs from the spares box so to me it has made sense. This last year I’ve decided to clear out a big chunk of stuff. Parts I might want one day but probably won’t use again. I’ve decided that even if I do end up wanting something that I sold I’ve made enough from the sales to buy a new bit. I’ve actually ended up upgrading mine and the wife’s bike and still got change and more space in the shed. On a similar note I did have a big clear out of all my scuba diving gear. I had loads for UK diving but I think I’ll only dive on holiday now so pretty much sold the lot. No regrets

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, did it 3 years ago, started again with new kit.

Wasn’t cheap, but I knew what I needed, and it wasn’t the Mish mash I had. 😁

Only thing I kept was the five tens and two helmets.

Edit – I’m only talking bike clothing here.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Kinda, few years ago when I got made redundant I sold a lot of bits. And again in lockdown when I was out of work.

I found it kinda cathartic working back through all the N+1’s to get down to the bike(s) that I actually wanted to ride.

Somehow still N=7? I still ended up with a mountaimbikes, a fat bike, a road bike a CX bike, two commuters (long and short distance), and a BMX (And my old road bike is supposedly waiting to be built into a garden ornament).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tinas, hope you’ve managed to get work again.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Why did you stop riding OP?

dyna-ti

Anyone else just bombed the lot off?

Yeah, I’d a big collection of Hope stuff. C2’s, Minis, mono minis, Xc,Ti Glide, sport,bulbs etc then all the incidental bits, mounts,5 bolt rotors, spiders you name it, I’d 3 of them and 95% of it new in box
    But much like yourself I began to feel it was encroaching on everything else. So one fine day I made the decision and then the effort to list on ebay, damn the fees,just want rid of. This was actually a hard decision to make initially, I mean it was a serious collection, lot of it as rare as hens teeth, and new to boot, but when I made the commitment I felt seriously better.
    And it made me near £4K, which I’ll use to buy a very nice Ebike, and possibly even a small boat to work on or some quality woodworking machinery.
    Then I donated a number of frames, wheels,rims tyres shocks et al to a bike charity, which made me feel good about doing something for someone else.

Still got a nice bike, though older and still retained some nice nos hope stuff, which I might sell later on, nos bulbs, XC disc new E4’s and a fair bit besides, but it all fits in a couple of large boxes which is stored in the wardrobe out of sight,out of mind.

Do it, you’ll feel better and you only have 2 legs and one arse.

reluctantjumper

Did it back in 2009 when I moved out of my parent’s place. Sold every bit of bike stuff I had apart from my cheap hardtail. And I mean everything: tools, clothing, parts, bikes and even the rack system I kept it all in!

Also cleared out all of my Scalextric, train set and the small mountain of F1 memorabilia. The only thing I kept out of that lot was a coffee table that’s a rear tyre from the 1994 . Gave me a load of cash for moving out and also a decent fund to buy whatever I missed, which happened to be bikes so I started afresh in 2010.

Should probably do it all again except I’d keep 2 bikes and the tools this time!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Never done it but I am keen to sell a load of bits. Most pretty old but “useful” but I don’t want it to be just thrown in the tip as I know myself 15 years ago would have been able to use it for a project!

One old but good bit of kit is a baso road frame and forks but no idea where to sell that.

Pieface

I have an old On One with some decent bits on, but also some less than decent bits. Seems a shame to sell it on as its going to fetch very little money and it needs some parts.

thepodge
    Free Member

If you’re not using it, let someone else enjoy it.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Timing is perfect, parts have never been more attractive, especially anything saying Hope on it has a queue.

I sold the brakes off my hb (tech3e4) with a cut rear hose for 250 last year, loads of comments on the sale post saying that was stupid expensive.

I see ones on today with a **** lever for 300 and there is no end of people asking about them.

Loads of older bikes with big price tags seem to be selling too.

burko73

I’ve got an old sub 5 in the garage needs a new home. Is eBay the best bet these days or on retro bike? I did well selling a fat bike and my old escapade last yr. made some decent cash due to pandemic cycling bonanza. Worth getting your stuff listed if you can.

Olly
    Free Member

flippin bike industry changing standards renders a whole spares bin redundant.

spare wheels: 26″
    spare hubs (or those on the wheels): 135mm, and 100mm width
    Spare brakes: IS mount
    Bottom brackets and headset bearings? forget it.
    Even handlebar clamps are changing sizes.
    Its bobbins.

I think Planet X/ On one should have done the Bootzipper in a “use up all you old stuff” version.
    QR rear, Non boost or QR fork., proper brake mounts (both V brake and IS Disk). Non fat headsets.

I tend to offer my spares up as freebies when people are asking for stuff on the local cycling sites.

oldbloke
    Free Member

If you’re not using it, let someone else enjoy it.

That’s the one. Got rid of a lot recently and once I’ve done one more build for kids moving a size up on frame, that’ll be it other than spares for current bikes. As I’ve had my value out of what’s left over, it goes to the local bike charity rather than being sold. N=2 now, which is fine.

kerley
    Free Member

I never build it up to start with. I only have one bike and any parts that are changed the old part is straight onto eBay. Only thing I keep are chainrings as I change my gearing a lot.
    The only thing I seem to collect that I don’t need are tyres but I give those to local bike charity when they build up.

grahamt1980

Build up a many bikes as you can and sell them on, definitely a sellers market at the moment

downshep

Not yet but my Kona Ute really should go. It hasn’t carried a wean in years and I dunt my hip off the stoker bar every time I go into the hut.

bazzer
    Free Member

Yep I have a Iron Horse Sunday with Fox 40s etc in my store room I have not ridden for a good few years. I keep telling myself I should sell it.

Also the Cervelo P3 TT bike does not get used now I have stopped doing Ironman stuff. That really should go to a nice home rather than languishing in storage.

Do people still want 26″ DH bikes 😀

fasthaggis

I love hoarding stuff,leave me alone 😉

exsee
    Free Member

Get rid mate. Nothing better than a good clearout 💩
    Sorting through the crap can sometimes get the mojo going again.

the-muffin-man

Why did you stop riding OP?

Just achieved all I wanted to achieve – rode at a decent level for 20 odd years and it was mainly about the competition (Trailquests in my case, and even won a couple of national rounds. Nearly always top 5 in local events).

I got put on blood pressure pills 10 years ago and they just took the edge away from my riding speed. Going from racing at the front of groups rides to struggling at the back knocked my enthusiasm.

The competition was the fun – I’m not a casual rider – if I want to enjoy the scenery I much prefer getting the walking boots on.

…are WTB SST.K saddles worth owt! 🙂

5plusn8
    Free Member

FB marketplace is good.
    If you can’t sell it give it to a bike charity.
    These guys near us are good.
    https://www.bikesrevived.org.uk/

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I’ve been considering downsizing for a while now, but i have issues with hoarding and deciding what to move on. I’m in a fortunate position that space & other reasons are not the motivaters here, but it just seems wasteful to have good bikes gathering dust. Since buying an ebike, my full suspension and hardtail have been virtually ignored- I’m getting to the opinion that for me mountain bikes are all about going downhill and the ebike is the tool for the job. Gravel bike for long mellow rides in the countryside. Road bike for fitness and when i can’t be arsed driving anywhere.

However, as both my FS and HT are pretty good spec i’m having trouble letting them go.

clubby

Did it with my retro stuff, all the bits and pieces that were kept just in case. Kept one retrobike and a small selection of spatrs that actually fitted it. Got rid of everything else. Didn’t make much at the time but lots of stuff went to bike charities which felt good.

Also sold all my vintage console collection. Had kept everything from my Amiga right through every iteration of Xbox, Nintendo and PS including all the boxes. Thought it would be good going back in the future to play the old stuff. It wasn’t. Checking every disc and cartridge reminded my how much better even phone games are now. Sold the lot and booked a riding trip to Whistler.

OP, keep one bike, enough spares you’d reasonably need and ditch the rest. If you’re only going out a couple of times a year you can easily ride in your outdoor gear. Pass it on. If you ever get back into it, nothing you have kept will be compatible anyway. It’ll be good for you.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Selling the lot…’ is closed to new replies.