Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Selling records… How much?
  • baileyswalk
    Free Member

Anyone know the price old records sell for?? I rescued all the records my dad was going to throw out (that he hadn’t already turned into ash trays).

Pretty much ever album by the Beatles all first press/edition whatever. Along with Hendrix, stones etc.

They are all used and far from pristine sleeves etc but I don’t think they are so scratched it would affect play back. No idea what they are worth tho and packaging them for posting seems like more hassle than its worth.

Any audiophiles here know what I should realistically be asking??

newrobdob
    Free Member

Unfortunately the popular bands that you have sold hundreds of thousands of records so even if it was when it came out it’s unlikley to be worth much. The more valuable stuff tends to be misprints or weird bands etc.

Most people want the sleeves to be in really good condition too so that might set you back a bit too.

Might be worth checking the prices of a few online to see if there are any gems in the collection. Or maybe get your own record player and enjoy them yourself!

CountZero

Even those could be worth three to five quid a copy, some more than that, so certainly worth finding an outlet somewhere.

ajantom

Early Beatles LPs in decent nick are often worth a surprising amount. But they need to be from the first few presses. Grading is all too, know your NM from your VG.

Have a look on Discogs, and be prepared to do a bit of homework looking at numbers in the run-out grooves, etc. to locate which version/prssing you have.

On the other hand take them to a record shop/dealer (for example the guy in Rooster records in Exeter buys s/h LPs) but be prepared to take a hit on the price, as they’ll offer you under market value.

kayak23

Been thinking about this too. Got shed loads of punk/hardcore from the eighties. Just don’t seem to play it anymore.

I was thinking now might be a good time to sell what with the hipster resurgence, but I guess they’ll still be worth very little.

DavidB
    Free Member

kayak23 I sold my punk/80s collection of 300+ records for £600 as a job lot to a collector. Could have got more if I’d done it album by album but we’re moving soon so it had to go. Some of the stuff was worth a decent amount on its own. My original Wardance single £15

deadkenny
    Free Member

Is Record Collector still a thing?

Used to refer to that (typically thumbing through it in WH Smiths without buying it 😀 ), to find the value of something in the local record shop to see if it was a decent price.

Last time I looked into this stuff with the collection I’ve still got, the values were about the same as they were when I bought them. Only really the stuff that was brand new released but theoretically collectable might have gone up, although by late 80s the music industry went nuts with collectable versions of things and saturated the market. Think it was mainly because it boosted chart figures with the rules back then if people bought 10 different versions of the same song.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Are the Beatles records mono or stereo?

The early mono stuff could be quite valuable.

fatoldgit

That really is a question along the lines of “ how long is a piece of string ☹️ “

So so much depends on condition and desirability, surprisingly the better known artists you mention such as the Beatles, Hendrix, Stones etc are often not worth as much as you might hope, mainly due to the popularity when released meaning there were so many printed.

of course there are always exceptions to that,

no idea where you are but try to track down a good local independent record store that sells 2nd stuff or visit a record fair to see what the going rates are, but be prepared to be disappointed…. unless you are very lucky and have a magic rarity

if you just want rid you could also approach a local auction house to see if they can help, you have no control but at my local place lots often go for way over estimate.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

Thanks for the info folks, I will take a closer look and see if there looks to be anything ‘special’ in there – failing that off to the record store with them. I’m near Glasgow so presumably there is a shop or someone that can be tracked down easy enough. I used to go to avalanche records back int he day but don’t think they would be interested.

doris5000

if they are mono pressings of the Beatles you could be onto a winner.

Discogs will give you a good idea of the value of any given record, (and if relevant, ideas of how to tell which version it is!) e.g. https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-Please-Please-Me/master/45362

donks
    Free Member

In a moment of madness quite a few years ago when vinyl was becoming superseded medium I looked to sell a bundle of what I thought were fairly rare records to a collector at work. He came round, umm’d and arr’d about them said yes some of these are quite hard to find then proceeded to tell me he’d rather spend months or years obtaining these in absolute mint condition as some of them looked well played and thumbed. This was well before discogs so you should be able to shift them easily enough but won’t get a tonne of cash I doubt. Although to be fair punk is one of those dedicated collections that may produce a few treasures and rareties but you need to know what’s what .

ajantom

at my local place lots often go for way over estimate.

Very true! I occasionally go along to auctions with a mate who owns a reclamation yard, and we’re always surprised how much boxes of records go for, especially if there’s online bidders. People are buying them in the hope that there will be a rarity in the box. However, it’s normally a load of James Last and Montovani 😆

As far as Beatles records being worth sod all, I’ve got a 4th press of ‘Please Please Me’ in VG+ that’s worth somewhere between £150 & £700 if you go on what’s been sold on Discogs.

On the other hand my 1st press copy of Led Zep II is only a G (VG if I was being really generous), and probably worth no more than £10-15.

I’ve got some rare 1960’s British Jazz LPs that’re probably worth £600+ to right person. But they’re the vinyl equivalent of a Jones Spaceframe – a pretty limited market!

DezB
    Free Member

Easiest way to check value is to do an ebay search of completed listings. As some have said, early Beatles & Stones releases could be worth more than a few bob (was in a 2nd hand shop, had some Beatles stuff £250-£500!)

Unfortunately the popular bands that you have sold hundreds of thousands of records so even if it was when it came out it’s unlikley to be worth much

Thing is though – a few hundred thousand were dumped in the great digital revolution, so there are some worth a bit now that vinyl is trendy again.
    I don’t believe the trend will last that long, so best to check out that value now, while it’s at it’s peak.

ajantom

popsike.com is another useful resource. It lists and ranks old ebay sales by price sold for.

DezB
    Free Member

That’s excellent ajantom! Especially as I can’t do ebay at work 🙂

I will be checking my copies of these when I get home… (both boot sale purchases yonks ago!)

ROLLING STONES Let It Bleed LP Decca 1969 UK 1st Press 1155 GBP
    Jimi Hendrix – Axis Bold As Love – *NEAR MINT* 1968 UK 1st *MONO* Press LP 1365 GBP

johndoh
    Free Member

Are the Beatles records mono or stereo?

The early mono stuff could be quite valuable.

if they are mono pressings of the Beatles you could be onto a winner.

I thought it was the other way around – they pressed far fewer stereo ones so they are worth much more?

Edit – yes, I thought so. I need to hunt out my copy as I am not sure which pressing it is.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Selling records… How much?’ is closed to new replies.