Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Selling our house. Pain in the neck.
  • user-removed
    Free Member

So. My wife got a new job in Aberdeen. She’s living up there in her mum’s house with our four year old son and I’m stuck here in N.E. England trying to sell the house.

Crap.

Folk keep coming to look at the house and they’re 90% full of sh1t. Sick, sick, sick and tired of cleaning the place from top to bottom, only to greet time-wasting winkers.

And that’s only the inside. The garden is a task in itself.

Rant off, have a lovely day.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Price it right, it will sell straight away.

Just IME. Other viewpoints are available.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Price it right, it will sell straight away.

Indeed…..or keep waiting and ranting! 😮

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrGrim

Are you selling it through an agent? They normally filter some of the timewasters.

woffle
    Free Member

Are you selling it through an agent? They normally filter some of the timewasters.

This.

Best thing we did was to pay more to have an agent who heavily pre-vetted and did ALL the viewings. That way they only wasted their own time.

user-removed
    Free Member

Taken a 6K hit already. My reasoning is that if we’d been renting all these years, it’d have cost much more.

It’s a decent house with a nice outlook. Perhaps I’ll hire a cleaner – I refuse to pick up the mop again.

Rockape63
    Free Member

It’s a decent house with a nice outlook.

Are you not using an Agent then?

(you’re there by yourself….how messy are you??)

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m a smoker, a drinker and a messy twit. I’m pretty good at cleaning but I’m utterly fed up.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

The blocked up door to the rear looks a mess and would probably put me off…

user-removed
    Free Member

Thanks. What would you do with it? We have co sidered rendering the back wall.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Looks quite nice inside but when you get to the pic of the front of the house….. wow it’s not a looker is it??

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Looks okay from the pics and seems cheap enough (I don’t know the area though) but the “offers over” bit would put me off.
    Mine sold in two weeks and I never met the eventual buyers despite them having three viewings.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Do you smoke inside? Smell of smoke puts a lot of people off, especially as they go to visit a house which admittedly looks good enough to move into then find it stinks so they’ll have to redecorate, new carpets etc.

johndoh
    Free Member

Have you asked for any feedback from your viewers as to why they didn’t like it so you can improve things?

martinhutch

I’m a smoker, a drinker and a messy twit. I’m pretty good at cleaning but I’m utterly fed up.

Do you think it might be stinking of smoke but you’re not really noticing it? Get an honest opinion from a non-smoker, if there’s any doubt.

user-removed
    Free Member

Quite. It’s not the most handsome of houses but it’s a mid-terrace 3 bed with a view to die for and priced accordingly.

the-muffin-man

The garden is a task in itself.

You need an Estates Manager with a lawn that size – must take at least 30 minutes to mow! 😀

Rockape63
    Free Member

The blocked up door to the rear looks a mess and would probably put me off…

Yeah but £79k….that is not a lot of money for a house like that! I won’t tell you what that would cost in my village, it would hardly be believable!

Unfortunately, house selling/buying is possibly the most stressful times of our lives, so if you can afford to wait for the right person to turn up, then that’s what you’ll have to do. Otherwise you can either auction it or drop the price. 🙁

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Is it possible to get some reclaimed bricks to match the rest and replace the outer skin?
    I think it would look better than render personally.

Yeah but £79k…

Yeah I didn’t see the price until I posted. Seems cheap but no idea of house prices in the area.

onehundredthidiot

Took a few months to sell my flat. We got it really neat and tidy. Massively decluttered.

I then lived out a bag for 3 months and basically had 1 set of crockery I used and kept on top of the other stuff. Made it so much easier.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Thanks. What would you do with it? We have co sidered rendering the back wall.

You can get fake bricks that would cover them….especially if you could recess the blocks enough to make them flush with the ones around them.

http://www.brickslips.net/brickslips

bruneep

Won’t get a 3 bed in ABZ for £79k

Where are you looking to move to?

jekkyl

You’re living in the house by yourself while your wife and child live somewhere else with a genuine reason for doing so and you’re unhappy?
    Prolong the sale for as long as you can! 😀

Rockape63
    Free Member

Massively decluttered.

A good tip! If you have effectively moved out, then strip the place of everything personal and put in store….maybe freshen up the walls in Valspar ‘Slipper Satin’and paint any tired wood in white satinwood.

martinhutch

Looks nice and tidy.

The only other thing I’d suggest is to reverse the Home Office/Kid’s room. Can you get a normal sized bed into the second bedroom and steam the stickers off the wall of the other one?

You’d have thought most viewers could work it out just by looking at the description and walking around, but apparently not.

djglover
    Free Member

Offers over… and then the price is higher than any house has sold for on the street.

I would take out the offers over, in context of all other properties on the street do you feel its the best and can command the highest ever sale price, if no its over priced.

Smell of smoke would put me off, for sure, unless I had major renovation in mind.

Back looks a mess, inside is just meh

jekkyl

mate, that is a cracking house for 80 grand. 3 bedroomed! people living in London must look on the north with great envy.

user-removed
    Free Member

“Prolong the sale for as long as you can!”

Aye, it kind of started like that but eventually I missed normallity. Grand to have the bikes in the living room, the dog on the sofa and bits of retro bikes in the dish washer.

I don’t smoke inside, ever, so the house smells of ladies’ candles. Honestly, I’m at a loss.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Offers over only works if there is competition.

eddie11
    Free Member

get a different agent.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m a smoker,

well thats off putting for a start as most people don’t smoke and whatever you do even if you don’t think it smells of smoke it does. you yourself cant smell it.
    i see dated interiors, grubby walls, magnolia, pine and lary wallpaper that has a design that doesn’t work in small rooms.
    this will put a lot of people off as they cannot see the blank canvas due to the visual noise or they cant see a house they can walk straight into, it just says “i need work”
    nothing wrong in that for some buyers (i am currently dealing with magnolia vinyl silk over matt emulsion that is coming off in sheets, and a hideous blue carpet with moth holes)

in your situation i box everything up you don’t immediately need and put it in storage (you will need to do this anyway) and wash all the walls paintwork down. you could go over with white but if you do the walls it just makes the woodwork look even worse. de-personalise the house inc the kids room so people can see what they want to see not the signs of your everyday living.

i have no idea of the local market so it could be overpriced or there is better available down the road for less?

mate, that is a cracking house for 80 grand. 3 bedroomed! people living in London must look on the north with great envy.

😆 😯

seosamh77
    Free Member

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=51573365&sale=39423306&country=england

house on the same street went for £78,765 in 2015.

I’d say people looking at your house will be factoring in re-decorating too and new kitchen etc.

user-removed
    Free Member

eddie11, it turns out that we don’t have to pay our current agent if they don’t sell our house.

So yes, we’re looking to change the agent.

user-removed
    Free Member

Mr Smith. I thank you for your input. On the whole, you come accross as a clever fellow. But please piss off and don’t come back. Ta.

plyphon
    Free Member

To be fair, that’s solid advice.

I’m in the market. I’m able to see through personal effects and dated interiors, but my Mr’s can’t and gets distracted by cluttered interiors – especially kids rooms as they tend to be messy/colourful/generally full of stuff.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Prepare to be shocked by house prices in Aberdeen!

Flaperon

I don’t smoke inside, ever, so the house smells of ladies’ candles.

Doesn’t mean anything. If anything it’ll smell like cigarette smoke covered up with ladies’ candles.

You need a non-smoker to offer an honest opinion on this.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Mr Smith. I thank you for your input. On the whole, you come accross as a clever fellow. But please piss off and don’t come back. Ta.

And thats why you aren’t selling your house. You’re a know it all whose house stinks of fags and wants more for it than its worth. I bet you’ve discarded all advice you’ve been given so far…… the agent will probably be glad to lose you.

Settle in sunshine, you’ll be living there for a while longer.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i’m still here “waves”
    😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Selling our house. Pain in the neck.’ is closed to new replies.