Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Selling jewelry…..
  • deviant
    Free Member

Thought I’d ask the plutocrats on here for some advice.

Basically have been left 2 rings by a deceased relative, had them valued at £2,000 and £8,000 respectively….have magnanimously offered them to the better half who isn’t interested as they’re yellow gold and she only wears white gold and platinum.

So, what’s the best way to sell these?!….i know the valuations are ‘new for replacement’ in the event of theft and nothing like what a dealer would pay but even half the total amount would buy us a nice holiday and some bike bits!

What say the hive mind?

bueller
    Free Member

Had this myself not long back. We went to numerous high street jewellers who all had signs saying we buy gold and jewels etc. Put frankly, all of the big names tried to rip us off.

We then tried a small independent guy who advised us to go to Birmingham Jewellery Quarter and gave us the details of a few places to try. We made the trip and got three times as much as we’d been offered on the high street or internet and a price close to the insurance valuation certificates.

deviant
    Free Member

Many many thanks for that, with upcoming nuptials too this is great advice!

jimdubleyou

Same deal as Bueller – people will try and tell you it’s rubbish, not great colour diamond or whatever.

Mrs Dubs was offered £2k-£2.5k (pawnbrokers and jewellers with “we buy diamonds” in the window) for a ring she inherited, eventually got £4.5k from jewellers round the corner.

Basically, get a few quotes/offers before you do anything

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Definately independent is the way to go. They’ll usually offer good advice and tell you the truth, yellow gold isn’t so fashionable these days and if you have diamonds that are “old cut” again you.ll get a lower value.

Get a few quotes, as you.ll find some offer x2 on the lower end of the market

We recently had some rings made by a guy in Leeds, a really nice guy with passion for mtb’ing got chatting about Santa Cruz lol..
    Anyway he valued and cleaned up some old rings for my mum, a few of the rings had the old cut diamonds and he said they command a Lower price, although an insurance repacement will value them at replacement cost at new cut.

He offers to display rings and take a commission on the sale, which could be an option, I’m sure precious metal and diamond dealers all work in similiar fashion

CountZero

One thing to consider is having a new ring made, using the stones from the two rings, letting the goldsmith recycle the metal and using the money from that to offset the cost of designing and making the new ring in white gold or platinum.
    You need to find a good goldsmith, not a common or garden jeweller, there is a big difference!
    My best mate is a goldsmith, and this is a very common job for him to do, although he doesn’t usually do the actual stone settings, another of the staff does that, he does casting and finishing of the main ring or whatever.
    That way your S/O still has the connection to the original rings vis the stones, but with a contemporary setting in a metal that suits her.

deviant
    Free Member

Cheers guys, all food for thought.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Selling jewelry…..’ is closed to new replies.