Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • selling car at end of month when tax due, do i SORN it?
  • meeeee
    Free Member

selling our car at the end of this month (prob 28th / 29th) and tax is due a couple of days later.

Do i just send in the sellers part of the V5 to DVLA, or will i need to SORN it as well in case DVLA dont process the V5 before the 31st when tax is due?

cp

after you sell it’s not your problem. I wouldn’t bother doing anything, it’s no longer your responsibility surely?

dooosuk
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do anything if you sell it before the 31st. If it takes longer than two days to sell and you still have it then you’ll need to sorn it.

Have you got a buyer lined up or are you just advertising it on 28th?

meeeee
    Free Member

trading in to a dealer on the 28th, just didnt want the system to automaticaly send me a fine if they havent received notification of the sale by 31st

cp

they wont, have you experienced the tardiness of dvla?!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Even if they send a fine, as long as the V5 is signed over prior to the tax date it can all be sorted out retrospectively.

What you REALLY don’t want to do is be caught driving a SORN car even if the MOT/INS is still valid and the Tax you surrendered and didn’t get any refund on would have covered you past the SORN date.

CheesybeanZ

The moment you trade it in and get the receipt/ invoice from the dealer its not your problem anymore.

dashed
    Free Member

Plus you get 14 days from date tax runs out to get a new disc without need for SORN as long as the car is stored off the road and not used. Just noticed that on my tax renewal last night…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘selling car at end of month when tax due, do i SORN it?’ is closed to new replies.