Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Selling bikes on – warranty still active?
  • clareymorris

I'm selling my Trek Fuel on ebay and I am being asked to provide my receipt from my purchase the the bidder if they win to allow for future warranty claims. I'm fairly sure once you sell a bike on the warrrany lapses, am I right?
    Cheers….

steveh

In theory yes but if someone has the receipt chances are they'd be able to get it done. The importer is only likely to ask for a proof of purchase not proof that it was your purchase.

ojom
    Free Member

Depends on brand but it's usually the first buyer.

Most are non transferable.

carlos
    Free Member

Not sure on that but I think your right, well 95% anyway. Do you still have the receipt to pass on?? If so take a copy pass on the original and if there are any problems with warranty claims in the future, I wouldn't worry it's not your problem.

clareymorris

I thought it was usually the first buyer. Receipt has my name and address, but if I could get them one without that on it I wonder if that would work! I'll speak to the shop tomorrow!

njee20
    Free Member

I'm always a bit warey of doing that, as it would mean someone effectively pretending to be you in the future, if Trek then disputed it (unlikely) it could come back to bite you.

I would do as you say and see if you can get a blank receipt for the bike, or get the shop to write one on letterheaded paper with his name/address on it, suggest putting RRP (or close to) though, as you're instinct is right, the warranty is not technically transferred!

clareymorris

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I'll let him know the craic and he can bid or not!

clareymorris

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I'll let him know the craic and he can bid or not!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Selling bikes on – warranty still active?’ is closed to new replies.