Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Selling bikes – how?
  • theotherjonv

Seeing various threads on here about Gumtree nobbers, ebayers with dodgy pick up rituals, and so on what’s the best bet nowadays?

Have ordered a new road bike and it’s due in about a month so thought is turning to selling the old one (alloy Synapse with mech DB/105 and upgraded wheels, so not exactly a superbike but not a beater either).

Clearly I’d like a local / no delivery / cash on collection but what’s the best approach to a hassle free sale – I’d rather hassle free than top dollar that then goes sour.

Trimix
    Free Member

Well put it on eBay and state simply cash on collection, no variation, no buyers with no history. Thats pretty simple. Not everyone is a knob.

fazzini

Mate just sold one on ebay for a handsome price. No dramas whatsoever. New ebay system seems to work well with barcodes for collection etc. Obvs theres fees. Ive sold on ebay, gumtree, and on here.

footflaps

Does your local cycle club have a FB page? We have a Cambridge Buy/Sell Bike page which is pretty good for selling stuff in.

Failing that Ebay with buyer collects.

johnnystorm

Ebay and buyer collects or you charge the full rate for postage via Paisley Freight. They’ll send you a box and bubble wrap and tape on one day and collect the wrapped up bike a couple of days later.

Saves all the faff of sorting a box and filters out the wasters. Offering delivery broadens your sales options greatly.

damascus
    Free Member

alloy Synapse with mech DB/105 and upgraded wheels,

A stealth advert on here works well. What size is it? Any pictures abd how much are you after?

andrewh
    Free Member

A stealth advert on here works well. What size is it? Any pictures abd how much are you after?

I was going to suggest a stealth ad on here.
    I didnt do one for the Alfine Di2 hub gear, disc brake road bike I’m selling though, I just put it in the classified.

jonba
    Free Member

There is a local Facebook group I use. Buyer collects, sold a MTB. Relatively easy, buyer was a bit of work but we got there.

Sold a road bike. Had loads of stupid low offers which I just ignored. Sold in a couple of weeks for a good price.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I was going to suggest a stealth ad on here.
    I didnt do one for the Alfine Di2 hub gear, disc brake road bike I’m selling though, I just put it in the classified.

Hmmm. I’ve got a kids Trek EX Junior full suspensions 26″ wheeler coming available in a few weeks’ time. It’s this one here:

I’m hoping to get around £600 for it, though retail was around £1400 when new. Do you think I should put it on the classifieds or try a stealth ad….

theotherjonv

To avoid doubt, bike is not for sale. And will not be until I have confirmation my new one is in the country, ideally at the shop and in their build queue and a lot closer to me than being a tentative arrival date at the distrib.

I just asked what the best vehicle for selling was.

twonks

If you want real piece of mind, you could ask the shop if they would sell it for you.
    They might take it as bikes are hard to come by etc.

Failing that, I’ve always had success with the few high ish value bits and pieces through this forums classifieds. As long as the buyer is a regular poster outside of the classifieds, all is generally well.

I’ve also asked for Paypal gift when we meet. This have never been a problem.

theotherjonv

That’s a decent shout, it’s coming mail order rather than a local bike shop, so getting it to them would be an issue but I might try my local indies and see whether they are interested.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Bang it on facebook market-place or ebay, sorted.

welshfarmer

I recently sold a nice bike on here using a free ad. Zero issues, chap drove a long way to collect, paid cash, we went on a test ride together on a local trail, and he left happy. Having checked adverts on Ebay and Pinkbike it seems I should have added £1K to the asking price. However, this is the secret. I only asked what I thought was a reasonable price and what I would have been happy to pay myself for something similar. No attempt at profiteering. The buyer didn’t even haggle the price, which made a nice change. I was happy, he was happy, and the sale had no issues whatsoever. I had 2 other serious enquiries from forum members in response to the advert and not a single chancer or “whats your best price, mate” type enquiry. To me that is worth a lot!

rstephenson
    Free Member

Just sold one.
    Put it on ebay, gumtree, pinkbike. Advertised for more on ebay because of fees. Buyer found it through ebay but I pointed him at the gumtree ad so he could contact outside of ebay and I could do a lower price.
    As above, asked a reasonable amount and sold it fairly quickly.
    Did get a few scam enquiries through gumtree which got quite annoying. Things like ‘let me know your postcode and I’ll arrange a courier’ without asking anything about the bike, or ‘I’ve just paid you via paypal I’ll send a courier’ with a fake screenshot of a paypal payment. Had one claiming she was a blind woman buying it for her son and then saying she’d pay in full but needed me to deposit money in her acc first! Bizarre and tiresome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Selling bikes – how?’ is closed to new replies.