• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Selling an old terraced house, that was a rental property
  • project
    Free Member

So a few days ago got to work in an old terraced house on nice street, with not to many cars outside parked on the footway, like some roads,no fridges or settees in the front gardens either.Good location near motorway link and town centre.

So the house has been a rental,long term,walls need painting inside, needs a new kitchen, full central heating fitted as well as upvc double glazing, roof looks ok as does the electrics.

So sell in current state for quick sale, or redecorate,fit new kitchen and delay sale and get paid back for work done.

What does everyone think

bear-uk
    Free Member

I totally renovated an old terrace for around 15k in materials. Everything just about. Depends how handy you are and what time you have.

kilo

I’d redecorate and fit new kitchen, if you’re lucky and have decent trades there may not even be that much delay and you,could always put it up,for sale before the work was finished if needs be.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

How much spare time have you got? If time rich then renovate, probably make a small uplift.

If you’ve got loads on already, then just flip as it is and let someone else have all the hard work as I doubt there’s a killing to be made.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends on a few factors I guess.

Unusual question…it almost sounds like you are a property developer?

oldtennisshoes

Sell as is – everyone wants a fixer upper. Especially if there’s a chance of getting sold before the stamp duty window closes.

duncancallum

Ask a local estate agent to value as is vs done

Or watch homes under the hammer

project
    Free Member

its not my house and never will be,sadly,

its owned currently by an old chap who wants to sell off his rentals, but should he spend some money on redecoration orand a kitchen or sell quick and loose some money.

So do magnolia walls and white doors add to the resale price along with a basic kitchen and white goods or sell as a do er upper as stated above by someone.

Me id sell as it is, let somebody find all the faults youll find as you start painting and tidying up as well as the disruption of adding a new kitchen.

duncancallum

In his shoes I’d just flog them just get a good deal out of the estate agent

colp

3 be terraced are flying out within days in parts of Wirral at the moment.
    A full refurb on your own would take months, I’d sell now.

edit: Where is it?

goldfish24

Stamp duty waiver ends on 31st March next year, which means any sale needs to get going now. Stamp duty savings are pretty much going into the pocket of the seller because it’s inflated the sale prices, so I’d advise get cracking now. Unlikely to recoup that saving by waiting till next year and refurbing

Dickyboy

Yeah sell now coz of stamp duty holiday ending…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is owner asking you for advice? I hope you’re not charging 😂

5lab

depends on the value the 3 bed terrace ex-rental I sold last year was on for £350k, I think this year it’d be closer to 400ish – at that price the stamp duty makes more of a difference, but there’s also more scope to improve (especially if some of the things are as bad as suggested – no central heating or double glazing at all? or old CH and DG? there’s a big difference in value) – but the flipside is there’s also not-insignificant cost of mortgage and council tax whilst you’re doing the work which eats into profits (even if mortgage free, the money could be elsewhere doing more)

I’d probably look at the prices of a do-er-up-er and a done house, work out the labour\materials, decide whether the faff is worth it. If you can get away with a lick of paint, new carpets, and new kitchen unit fronts, do that to spruce it up

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Unless something changes as we near the deadline or if your local areas services are moving faster you could be looking at a 5month sale process.

TiRed

Sell now, stamp duty saving will pay for the kitchen for a prospective buyer.

Clover

Hmmm, depends about local market – we had advice that for selling a first home type house you should do it up as buyers are getting their first mortgage and will be using savings to get their deposit together and unlikely to have cash to spend on doing the place up.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

IMO if it’s a nice area I wouldn’t bother if you’re just going to put in a cheap kitchen and fittings, do it to a pretty high spec and it will sell for top whack and quickly.

Marin
    Free Member

Depends entirely on location all answers are complete guesswork without this.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Selling an old terraced house, that was a rental property’ is closed to new replies.