Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Selling a Wedding Dress
  • tootallpaul

Morning,

My wife would like to sell her Wedding Dress- she has decided she won’t be using again. Phew!

Anyone have any advice or experience they would like to share?

We have had it professionally cleaned in preperation for selling.

Cheers all…

Paul

peterfile
    Free Member

It would be brilliant if your next thread on STW was “In the doghouse because I sold wife’s wedding dress to fund new bike build”

🙂

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’ve just talked my wife out of selling hers but she had rang around lots of bridal shops and some would act as agents and sell for her minus a small fee.
    If its by a well known designer then ebay is your best bet simply for the exposure it gets. I was shocked to find how much we could have got for Mrs Piks.

organic355
    Free Member

weve tried to sell ours on ebay/gumtree a few times and no luck, quite disappointing as the outfit cost well over a grand!

One tip, dont use the images from the designers/labels website, ours kept getting taken down as soem petty person wouldnt let us use the stock images and kept reporting us for copyright. Quite shite if youve paid so much money and they the same person wants to scunner you getting some of your money back. Wifey didnt want to use images of her i the dress either.

Would also be interested to know about bridal shops acting as agents, wonder how much cut they would take?

footflaps

Wife bought a couple off Ebay before buying one through a shop in the end. So we have two ‘spare’ ones to get rid of. NB They were complete bargains e.g. £50 for a well known designer, but didn’t fit. Probably been sold and re-sold on Ebay many times!

xiphon
    Free Member

Selling her wedding dress? Seriously? If it was from her previous marriage I could understand…

tootallpaul

Seriously, why not. It’s never going to get used again…

It is to fund a bike build as well- her touring bike!

Cheers all.

I will have a look at ebay…

footflaps

Seriously, why not. It’s never going to get used again…

+1

righog
    Free Member

My wife’s has been hanging around for almost twenty years now we really must get a box for it or something.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with selling them, however my mother got hers out of the Attic the other day, and it seemed like a great piece of family history and made me glad we had hung on to my wife’s.

( I only have one wife ( is it wife’s ??))

tootallpaul

Awee bump for the afternoon crew…

Junkyard
    Free Member

never understood the point of spending huge on a dress you will only wear once.
    No advise on selling as I dont wear dresses

baby
    Free Member

If this was in the FS section I’d make you an offer 😉

GolfChick
    Free Member

Ebay probably the best bet, I’ll be buying my wedding dress from ebay and itll be as cheap as possible as Ill be wrecking it about ten mins after the wedding by going mtbing in it.

Bunnyhop

Junkyard – lazarus
    never understood the point of spending huge on a dress you will only wear once.
    No advise on selling as I dont wear dresses

That’s because you are a bloke.
    Most (not all) girls dream of the day they will be wearing at least once, some gorgeous, flowing, concoction of a frock.
    It was the best day of my life when I got married and for once I didn’t want to do it wearing a fleece or baggy cycling shorts 🙂

There are Bridal dress agency style shops which sell on your behalf and take a cut.

alfabus
    Free Member

Her indoors got an ex catwalk dress from the Oxfam bridal shop for £50, had it taken in to fit her, then gave it back to the shop afterwards.

She regretted it for about 5 minutes when she got back from the shop, but has been happy about the decision ever since.

’twas a lovely frock too 🙂

Dave

Bagstard
    Free Member

My wife had a buyer lined up before we got married! The money she got back paid for our safari on the masai mara, we wouldn’t have the space to store it anyway.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Selling a Wedding Dress’ is closed to new replies.