Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Selling a used helmet?
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

Does anyone do this?

Not a smashed up old helmet obviously but a fairly new one thats only been used for commuting and for not that long.

imnotverygood

They may do, but personally I’d never buy one

househusband

Ditto, I’d never buy one used.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Sort of my thoughts really. I bought a new one for commuting purposes in haste that doesnt fit very well having tried on some other models, so it seems a bit wasteful to leave it sitting in the cupboard.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I have sold used helmets where I know their complete history, probably would not buy one though.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ve been meaning to stick a couple of frames and a load of other stuff on the classifieds so maybe I’ll add that and see if there is any interest

househusband

Does the manufacturer of the helmet offer a crash replacement policy..?

ell_tell
    Free Member

Its a Specialized S3 so think they offer a crash replacement. I got it as part of their helmet amnesty last year in fact.

I’d feel quite guilty taking a hammer to it though and I certainly don’t fancy a crash!

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

If it is more than three years old the polysyrene will have started to deteriate. The helmet should then be disposed of as it no longer offers the necessary level of protection. Personally I use the chop saw to dispose of.

If you feel guilty about doing a dodgy crash claim then how guilty would you feel if the new owner ended up in hospital because the helmet failed?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Crash replacement just gets you a discount and only for the same or nearest model. It’s not major gain given they’d be discounted by retailers anyway.

Though the idea is they get your smashed up helmet which can be used for research to improve helmets. They might smell something funny if they see hammer dents in it 😉

fourbanger
    Free Member

If it is more than three years old the polysyrene will have started to deteriate. The helmet should then be disposed of as it no longer offers the necessary level of protection.

Is there science behind this statement?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fourbanger + 1

deadkenny
    Free Member

Manufacturers claim 3 years. Sells new helmets. Note crash replacement often has to be within the 3 years also.

This scoffs the claims – http://www.helmets.org/replace.htm

Though have to admit helmets I’ve kept in the car to bake do look like the poly has hardened or at least looks old. But it’s probably still good according to the above.

fourbanger
    Free Member

So 3 year replacement is just a bullshit number?

Jamie
    Free Member

So 3 year replacement is just a bullshit number?

Does seem quite arbitrary.

The Italian company MET says in their 2010 catalog:

“We are often asked ‘For how long is a helmet safe?’, or ‘how often should I replace my helmet?”’ Until now it has been difficult to find any reliable figures to help answer these queries. MET have now developed a series of tests which are conducted on aged helmets to determine a ‘best before’ date (unless the helmet is involved in an accident. In that case it should be replaced immediately.). The results indicate that, if used properly accordingly to our owner manual, our helmets will still do their job up to eight years after they have been made. Not only is that good news for the customer, it’s great news for the environment!”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Selling a used helmet?’ is closed to new replies.