Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Selling a newish decent spec, or not, HT ?
  • iainc

Firstly, not a stealth ad !

I have been trying to sell a bike, on local FB and elsewhere for a month with no interest. The problem I think is the spec and I’m looking for options.

So it’s a less than 2 yr old medium Giant 29er, with only a handful of rides, due circumstances. I upgraded loads, brakes to slx, mech and shifter to AXS, dropper to reverb AXS. I posted it up as is at £1300, which seemed fair for a £1500 bike with £900 of upgrades, and not a sniff. So I then took the reverb off and popped a fixed post in and tried it at £950. Still nowt.

Am now thinking of buying sram NX/SX rear mech and shifter, putting it back to mechanical and dropping it to maybe £750.

I will sell the reverb separately and either sell or keep as spare the AXS mech and shifter.

So is it worth spending £100 or so to downspec it and reduce the complete bike price, or should I think about pulling it apart and selling as components? I can’t see the Giant branded stuff getting much interest..

pimpingimp
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I did with my Bird last year, had 36’s and a DHX2 on it and figured I’d never get the money back so put some rev’s and a Delux air shock on it for peanuts and got back nearly what I paid for it.
    You won’t get the cost of the upgrades back if you sell with the AXS on it – you might not even get it by selling separately but if you can make the bike “cheap” you’ll have a much better chance of selling it, and then selling the components.

iainc

Thanks, that kinda confirms my thinking so far..

clubby

Covid times are past I’m afraid. Even last year I struggled to sell a decent spec Santa Cruz.
    Most people buying a bike second hand care more about price than spec.
    The downgrade plan sound the best route. If you split, the nice stuff will sell easily and you’ll be left with the frame.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I’ve debated this before but always concluded that spending money on something I’m selling is illogical.
    I would just put as many of the original bits back on as possible and sell it for whatever you can get it.
    Then eBay the good bits.

Someone is going to post the Giant Warranty post too!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea, downgrade it as far as possible and sell it as a bit of a bargain. The used market for any bike bits is a bit rubbish unless it’s something really in demand. Unless you can get some really cheap 2nd hand bits it’s probably not worth buying bits to downgrade it.

I bought my current bike 2nd hand a few months ago and was almost embarrassed by the price. I’d decided it was the bike I wanted though and even though it was probably not going to sell I didn’t haggle.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Someone is going to post the Giant Warranty post too!

Is it possible to overpaint the frame and get some decals from a quality marque instead…. Apollo or Emmelle or something 🙂

iainc

^^^ haha 😂, I guess warranty is original owner only so probs not an issue !

would just put as many of the original bits back on as possible

ideally, yes, but I sold them all, so will need to buy a new mech and shifter..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.