Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Selling a car that is registered in my partner's name?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’m selling our car tonight, it’s registered in Ms AD’s name and she isnt around. Can I still sell it?

The registration documents arent proof of ownership, as they state on the front page, only who has the duty to tax and insure.

But do I need her to sign any of them before handing the car over for cash?

cheers

wwaswas

I wouldn’t hand over cash in a private sale for a car that the actual owner wasn’t present and hadn’t signed the paperwork for. Who’s to say you have permission to sell and she’s not going to turn up 10 minutes later demanding her car back and giving it ‘who’s that bloke you gave the money to? Never heard of him!’?

not what you want to hear, though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

wht he said I would not be paying either

DrJ

In fact, wasn’t that one of the scams on Scam City, or some such telly programme, renting a car and then selling it – “my husband just popped out to the shops”.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Done it and not had the buyer care, not actually seen many people read much of the V5 either. Do you have the same surname as your missus? If not have something that proves you have met her and don’t tell them she is under the patio.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Yeah, probably me too thinking about it, I guess the registration documents give more than a clue as to the legal owner, even if this isnt an guarantee.

z1ppy

Give em a ring before hand and offer them the choice of doing it tonight or coming back when she’s around. TBH I doubt I’d even look at the owners name too carefully if the address is correct on the V5. A quick call to confirm, will save everyone heartache tonight though (& a potentially pissed off buyer walking away).

ampthill

Does she mind? I think as long as no one complains it will all go through fine.

Its not like anyone would ever check that she is who she says she is. Or do people ask for photo id from the seller

Or ask a female neighbor to play the role. Not that this could in any way go wrong

gribble
    Free Member

Does your other half mind? Maybe you don’t like the car/poor selection of girly music and are going to extreme measures to get rid. Which is probably fair enough.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Selling a car that is registered in my partner's name?’ is closed to new replies.