Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Selling a car
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Just got my first new car for 10 years… now just got to sell my old car.

Anyone got any tips of recommendations for selling the car – I’m obviously not part exchanging but it’s been a long while since I’ve sold one and would appreciate some advice on best way to do this.

I’ve been thinking about private in the paper, selling it on here, selling it to a dealer, ebay but I imagine there are other ways too.

I’ve even thought about stripping it down and selling the spares on Ebay as a mate did that and got more for the components than for the car together was valued at.

Also, what is the best way to value a car? I’ve got a rough value in mind but not sure if that is to low.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

What car are you selling?

simon_g

https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/offers-finance/value-my-car.html will get you Glass’ p/x values for comparison. Check what people are asking for similar on autotrader, but bear in mind anything from dealers (90%+ of what’s on there) will fetch better prices because they have to include warranty.

If it’s fairly low value then ebay & gumtree are better value than autotrader. People won’t usually travel so far so for a cheap car.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Gumtree and Ebay with honest descriptions if it’s a low value car.

Ebay or AT if more expensive.

Pistonheads has good classifieds section also.

peterfile
    Free Member

Parkers is good for a rough value, then check comparable vehicles on pistonheads and autotrader etc.

12 months MOT and 6 months tax will put you ahead of many sellers.

breaking it sounds like it could be a right faff!

IHN

Autotrader for seeing how much similar ones go for, and for selling it.

Get it valeted, make sure it’s got 12 months MOT, price it realistically, it’s actually dead simple.

Splitting sounds like a ridiculous faff.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah, splitting does sound a faff…

It’s a 10yr old Audi A4.

Autotrader – had totally forgotten about that.

peterfile
    Free Member

It’s a 10yr old Audi A4.

12 months MOT is even more important then IMO. Anyone non mechnically minded would probably be quite nervous buying a decent 10 year old car with 2 months until its next MOT.

When I was looking, someone selling a car without 12 months MOT made me feel like they knew something I didn’t (i.e. that they weren’t confident it would get through an MOT).

mushrooms
    Free Member

Autotrader is the biggest site I think apart from ebay maybe, Trade sellers list the same cars on both but I have seen the same car listed on ebay at a higher price.

It’s easy to sign up to glass.co.uk for a valuation.

Put a honest description in the ad explaining it’s service history etc, imo it’s better to see some kind of human input in the text part of the ad than just a basic list of the spec(auto trader should automatically generate the spec list for you when you list the car).
    And some good pics also.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah, I may see about getting it MOT’d early – MOT is due in May – I don’t see any issues with it getting through the MOT it’s just a timing issue

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Just having a look on Autotrader and looks like I’ve been expecting too little by about 40% – could be some spare cash after I’ve paid for the new bike.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’d take those prices with a pinch of salt. They’re asking prices and may have been listed for a long time. Are they private sales or traders?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah, but I looked over about 50 cars and the price range for them bearing mind my spec is loads more than I want/need – hoping for £2k but most cars are ranging from £3700 to £2500 for similar. I’m quite excited.

ononeorange

It’s almost brand new! I just sold my 12 year old a4 on auto trader, I was worried about people coming being more interested in casing the house, but the first chap who turned up bought it, a thoroughly decent guy. I got nearly a thousand more than webuyanycar “valued” it for.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Remember you need valid tax and insurance for anyone or you to legally test drive it. Otherwise honest ad and reasonably priced, better to have a good sell at a few quid less than a load of numpties and hassle.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As above, try and sell it with 12 months tax and MOT if poss. to max it’s value. You can use Ebay completed listings and autotrader to get an approx price for same year, model and mileage.

I tried on STW with no serious interest, so went down the ebay auction route (12yo mondeo estate) and wouldn’t do it again. Might consider ebay again with fixed price, but my auction was dicked about by a time waster. Luckily I got a name and number from one guy and did a deal off ebay after the auction had been kiboshed. If you get dicked about, Ebay won’t refund you all your money, just a percentage. It cost £30 to advertise, I got £20 refund. Ebay have a caveat where they don’t tell you if they deal with chancers and their multiple accounts.
    When I’ve bought, it’s been private sellers on Autotrader 1st and also looking on Ebay, but with a big dose of cynicism, even more cynical since my bad selling experience.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice all. Not sure there is much I can do about the MOT as the earliest I can do it is middle of May.

It’s getting a good valet on Monday to bring it up to “showroom” condition

tinsy
    Free Member

You can MOT it any time, but if its in its last month of MOT the new 12 months gets added to what you have left I believe, so you could have up to 13 month’s MOT… Definitely don’t try to sell it with a short MOT. Valet will be worth doing, especially on a car your not using so inside etc stays nice even if the weather is pants.

Last time I sold one I used eBay classified adverts as it was the cheaper than Autotrader, but you might want to check that out first.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

MOT’d it today and flew through so quite happy. Just listed it so will wait to see what happens.

Thanks for all your advice.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Selling a car’ is closed to new replies.