Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Selling £2.5k car – where to advertise?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Autotrader? Gumtree? FB?

05 Mini Cooper cabriolet FWIW

mashr

Ebay, put it on as a classified. Autotrader seems overpriced and poor for private sales in comparison these days.
    FB and Gumtree make a lot of sense as they’re obviously free

kayla1
    Free Member

Nowhere, just keep it and run it into the ground. By the time you’ve dealt with all the time-wasters and wannabe dealers you’ll want to set it on fire rather than deal with any more ****.

russyh
    Free Member

Never Facebook, it seems to be full of absolute time wasters! You will get bud in the nuts constantly and be bombarded with ‘interested’ posts

nickjb
    Free Member

ebay

johnx2
    Free Member

Here, evidently 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Facebook is great as long as you price stuff keenly enough that it sells quickly.

I’m not in sales but my theory is that unlike say sticking it on the side of the road with a sign in the window your advertising to a much much bigger and better informed market (they can probably search through 100’s of #~£2500 mini coopers rather than just seeing one on the roadside). So sticking it on for 10% more and expecting a haggle is just going to end up wasting everyone’s time as the ones who want a £2500 car won’t see it in their searches, and the people that do see it are going to think it’s overpriced compared to every other one on there, so you will only attract time wasters who equally view you as a time waster for asking an inflated price and you’re basically asking them to haggle and waste time.

Sticking it on a the price you actually want however (i.e. the price you could be haggled down to) makes it stand out as a bargain. You then get a lot of interest very quickly, and can confidently sell it at the asking price as they’ll be queing up to pay it and therefore won’t haggle.

(never sold a car on there through, but lots of other stuff and never had my time wasted).

russyh
    Free Member

Well personal experience and also professional experiences tell me otherwise. But good luck 😉

tomparkin

I recently sold a car on Autotrader — slightly lower value than yours. The costs of AT v.s. eBay were not huge (something like £10-15 IIRC). So I went with “where would I be more likely to buy a car from?”, and the answer was “Autotrader”.

The car sold in a couple of weeks for the asking price, which I’d set fairly optimistically in expectation of being bargained down. In that time I think I had a couple of serious looking buyers out to look at it, maybe half a dozen calls from people who decided against it for various reasons, and a few stupid-offer type phone calls.

All in all, the level of hassle was about what I’d expected for selling a used car, and I was happy with what it sold for. So I’d be happy to use Autotrader again. Although I’ve never tried eBay, so that may be equally good.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Last time I needed to sell a car I went via EBay

Sold first time but the buyer never bothered to get in contact with me (sold as an auction)

I then got in touch with the person who had the second highest bid against the car, he decided he wanted it, but couldn’t make his mind up when he wanted to collect (3 weeks passed with no firm commitment) so I relisted

I got a message around midday on a Saturday from a potential buyer – was I in and could he collect today

He came round that afternoon with a trailer and took the car away (car was a running MOT failure)

Once it had sold I got loads of messages ‘was it still available’, ‘I really wanted to buy your car’ etc. I have no idea why these people hadn’t bothered to get in touch earlier.

At the time (not sure if this still is the case) but if you sell on an auction via EBay for a car and the buyer doesn’t complete the transaction then you can’t reclaim the fees

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Is always thought it was accepted practice to have say 10% to drop in negotiations, it seems it’s as common to have a price and “no offers”?

frankconway

Al – what’s the spec? Mileage and condition?

scotroutes

See, that worked

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cd autochanger, some leather, airbags, fancy headlights, 63K and fair.

Oh and orange

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Keep it and hopefully the price goes up in 20 years…

Wait till the weather is hot then sell?

Put sign up?

winrya
    Free Member

I’ve sold 4/5 cars over past 6 years and although I’ve always advertised on eBay classifieds and autotrader, every single sale has been through eBay

cynic-al
    Free Member

Genuinely not a stealth ad/never even thought there be any interest here!

I’m actually away to 29th, was wanting to get it out there during/after Easter weekend’s forecasted good weather to generate interest…but all the paid ads are shorter than when I last used them.

junglistjut
    Free Member

Sold my bird’s Fiesta on Facebook recently. It’s alright if you can put up with people who ask “what’s your best price” before even saying hello.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sold my bird’s Fiesta on Facebook recently. It’s alright if you can put up with people who ask “what’s your best price” before even saying hello.

When you click on an advert on Facebook it gives you the option to send those pointless messages like “is the item still available”. On the mobile app in particular its far too easy to do by accident.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone know a panel beater or scrappy in Edinburgh?

https://flic.kr/p/2fFsJy7

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Selling £2.5k car – where to advertise?’ is closed to new replies.