Selkirk mtb Marathon

Home Forum Bike Forum Selkirk mtb Marathon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Selkirk mtb Marathon
  • petey

‘been some questions about the courses for the 13th Selkirk Mountainbike Marathon……
    This year we’ve cut three sections from the 85Km route, but added a long loop of mint trail in Bowhill, so the distance stays approximately the same but the singletrack percentage goes up.
    Distance options are 25, 45 & 80Km.
    The Raid has a brand new stage in Bowhill called Bodybag. It’s a woodsey action fest, but aimed at those new to Enduro. Stages 1 & 2 are now separate from the Marathon course so no hold-ups. Stage 3 is the old XC descent in Yair, Edge of the World/Buzzard. Blind stages : it’s the future!
    There isn’t a drop of mud on anywhere and the forecast is clear for Sunday…. Fit your racing slicks.
    See you Sunday

Premier Icon myopic
    Subscriber

Was a great day out, Petey – new sections were great 🙂 Weather today and in the last month certainly helped! Anyone else riding?

thenorthwind

Yup, great day out. Amazing conditions, absolutely perfect. I was riding rigid, which was a bit like taking a knife to a gunfight. It was great fun and handled the trails fine, but destroyed my hands on the naff stock grips, making the later descents agony.

Hope the chap with the broken leg heals quick (and the other casualty the guy mentioned at the end).

I did the 75k BTW, I presume you did the raid Myopic?

Premier Icon speedstar
    Subscriber

RAID was epic. 1st stage through the heather was some of the best fun i’ve had in ages before I came to a sliding stop underneath the apple tree. Second stage was complete madness in the dry! Been riding off-piste in the Tweed Valley this winter but the dry gravel was just not something I came prepared for! Great event and organisation. Nice cake too.

alwillis

Loved the 75km route. Apart from the last big climb back up to the moor (and final water station) which nearly broke me!

Will definitely be back next year if someone can book that weather!

Premier Icon myopic
    Subscriber

Thenorthwind – no, did 75km as usual. Not that fast (6.48) but wasn’t looking to race, just a nice big day out 😕 How did you do? Would have been tough on a rigid!!

thenorthwind

Ah, I thought the “new sections” were just on the Raid. I’ve not ridden round there before.

I came home in 6.18. I wasn’t racing, but then I always say that 😀 I was a bit disappointed to be honest. My legs were fine at the end. I didn’t feel riding rigid slowed me down much per se, but the blisters on my palms did. I would have bombed down bits like the SUW but every little rock jolt was agony.

There isn’t a drop of mud on anywhere and the forecast is clear for Sunday…. Fit your racing slicks.

I remembered this going down the moorland that tracked across a slope near the start, as a guy in front of me slid off the path and rolled down the hill, and I dabbed my way down with my 2.8″ tyres 😕

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.