Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Selkirk Merida – are they pulling a fly one?
  • Smee
    Free Member

You know how they said they weren't having that long draggy climb after the loop round inners. Well, I was up there the other night and unless I'm very much mistaken there are some freshly painted arrows on some trees at the top of that climb and there's no other way to get there.

DickBarton

No other way that you know of…

Smee
    Free Member

In that part of the world, if I dont know about it, it isn't there.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

They have changed the course again.
    Got an email last night with this link on
    http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/events/selkirk.php

Stu

Website says:

The other bugbear and subject of much post ride moaning has been the merciless slog of a climb from Glenbenna up to the Minch Moor crossroads, tackled to date by the 50 and 100km riders. With the inclusion of the new loop in Bowhill, just after the start, this nightmare of a climb is no longer needed (Hurray!).

BUT if they are taking the 85km round the whole of Inners including Plora Craig then I can't see how else you'd get back up to the SUW.

petey
    Free Member

No fly ones being pulled chaps. The course has not changed much since I wrote the route description, although some sections are weather dependant.

I'm using the Duchess's drive for climbing only, the Minch Moor drove road to climb to Brown Knowe, taking in The Three B', Yair, Elibank and Traquair XC climb as last year but returning along part of the S.U.Way from Minchmoor summit rather than dropping down by Plora Craig. The guesstimate map is vaguely right but the new descents are all different; and I'm not saying exactly where the are!!

Keep up the intrigue, it's good publicity….

Smee
    Free Member

They all got the wrong climb anyway. The one I was talking about was the first one at Glenbenna, the one that has the nice descent back to the bottom fireroad. There's fresh paint on the entry to that.

The idea of including Duchess Drive and Minch Moor Road is a great one.

Stu

I know where you mean now George, glad that that descent is still in it! Really looking forward to it! 😀

Smee
    Free Member

I hope it's still in it. If it is I would assume that it is done before the trip round Innerleithen. That'll leave the legs in a nice mess for the climb up to the minch.

Dougal
    Free Member

Calm down people, it's only a bicycle race event. You'll still manage to best last year's sub-six hour time.

Apart from the little steep section near the end, Minch Moor is the last major climb.

Smee
    Free Member

I'll be happy with finishing before darkness falls.

Not sure that doing the 130miler on the saturday is the best idea, but hey ho – in for a penny…

radoggair
    Free Member

Not sure that doing the 130miler on the saturday is the best idea, but hey ho – in for a penny…

i know what you mean. Just covered 200miles in past 2 days getting ready for this weekend, and with the rain and wind yesterday and the wind today it was tough. I'm hoping to sit in the pack for some of it and keep fresher legs for when it splits. Anyone any idea how many are doing the saturday 130 mile ride??

On another note, after reading some advise on here regarding seatpost height (guy with the pic of him sitting on his bike), i lowered my post by about 25mm. Now, i'm used to having it quite high up for the mtb so naturally when i got a road bike last year did the same. This led to me never feeling right in the drops and it causing alot of pain so i just put it down to needing to practise more. Well, dropping my seat this amount has cured so many problems. I can use the drops for miles upon miles now, still have the same power output but get less cramp and in general feel more comfortable on the bike

SO STW massive, good advise, good work

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Selkirk Merida – are they pulling a fly one?’ is closed to new replies.