Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Selkirk Marathon, who's going…
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

OK, who’s going from STW this weekend? So far Mrs DD and I are riding Sat sportive on tandem and riding middle/long on Sunday. Think I’m trying out my cx bike on the Sunday run. Not seen the weather forecast as yet. Always enjoy Selkirk. Got some great pubs in the town to.

simonside
    Free Member

Remember, the long one is the national marathon championships, you don`t want to be holding up any racers do you … 😉
    Were not going this year, Im not going to elaborate!

redfordrider
    Free Member

I’m doing the 70km ‘middle marathon’ – apparently it’s not a race!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonba
    Free Member

Doing the full distance for both.

Done the mtb one 3 times before and it is fantastic. Did the double for the first time last year. Got reasonable times for both (5 hours) but it was sunny July not wet May.

The national champs are going off slightly ahead of the main field. I don’t have a BC race licence so didn’t enter, that and I would be an hour behind Nick anyway and the fast non BC guys would be coming past.

BBC says dry but cool on both days, cold overnight. From experience if the ground is wet some bits of it will get really chewed up if you are in the latter half of the field.

Anyone doing the sportive on Saturday want to ride as a group. Thinking of around 6 hours to spare my legs for Sunday.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’ll be there. Finally a proper Marathon Champs course! Can’t wait.

strackbaz
    Free Member

I ain’t going, but rode a large chunk of the course on Saturday (45km). The trails are surprisingly dry and great fun.

Have a great day 🙂

Stu

Also doing full distance for both. Jonba – would be up for joining a group on Saturday as everyone else I know who said they might do it have decided not to! 🙁 What time are you thinking of setting off? I managed 5 hrs 40 last year on the road so a 6 hour target would suit me fine!

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I stupidly thought it was the following Sunday so am going to miss it…idiot

Been a fair bit of rain over the last 3 or 4 days so could be pretty soggy in bits.

postierich
    Free Member

Tempted to make a weekend of it but will have family SO and 6 yr old with me, much for them to do when I,m riding?

Diane
    Free Member

There’s the cafe down the road with some owls etc and the salmon viewing centre (Not sure if they’re doing any leaping at present) The Bowhill Estate has a country house (Not been) and a woodland playpark.

jonba
    Free Member

Aren’t there kids skilss courses and stuff as well?

Stu, I’m aiming to set off in the first half hour. That way anybody fast that comes through I can grab a wheel. Set off to do it in 6 last year but got in with four lads from Edinburgh RC. They were the only people I saw so I joined their chain gang. Went past St. Mary’s lock through and off at 25mph+ got ruond in just under 5 hours. I don’t intend to do that again as I really struggled up the first hill the next day.

drop me an email bayley.jon@gmail.com and we might be abel to sort something out. I would say I’ll be the one wearing the lime and tangerine Gosforth RC top but I think it might be a bit cold for racing kit.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i am about to start packing to do both, I’ll do the shorter sportive as I am unfit and have never done one before – a little taster. Looking forward to the full marathon, I’ve only heard good things about it.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Doing the Sunday middle marathon. Think it will be a wee bit wet!

xcneil
    Free Member

Traveling up tomorrow and just racing the marathon champs on Sunday can’t wait

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

So – how did it go for everyone? I couldnt make it this year and typically: the weather was brilliant!

jonba
    Free Member

Weather has been good for the last 4 years I’ve done it.

Did the sportive in 5h33m and the Marathon in 4h42.

It was a bit muddy but great fun as always.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Out of the 5 years I’ve done it today was the sunniest ever!

I had to work this afternoon but got an early morning spin around Innerleithen. At about 12:05 I got passed by two “numbered” riders at Caddon Bank in black / bright green (I’d guess Hope kind of green). I’ve no idea if they were the leaders but they were just flying!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

was really good. My first attempt at the middle marathon and did it in a leisurly 6.30. Conditions under tyre were pretty decent considering the recent weather, some patches of commical mud though!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

did the short sportive on saturday in a group of three. One quite big mechanical brought us in down the field but a great course.

Full marathon yesterday. Again near the back of the field but a brilliant day. Slippy slidey fun on the downs, spent most of the day descending sideways loved it.

Hope the lady on the Mojo we found on the final descent is ok. I saw her ride over the line at the end which I think is good news.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Think we provided some amusment for others on our tandem on the Saturday sportive. Shame there seemed so few other riders on the Saturday. Did the 85k loop on cx bike and Mrs DD the middle distance on Sunday. Apart from 7staines bit, it was good fun I think. Views were mega on the last section! Shame we could stay Sunday night for beers.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Selkirk Marathon, who's going…’ is closed to new replies.