Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Self storage insurance and bikes
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

As part of a house move I’ve got to store some of my bikes at a self storage unit. I’m struggling to find insurance that’ll cover bikes worth over £2,000 – has anyone had to do this before and got an recommendations for who to go with?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does the storage place offer insurance?

Depending on the storage location I’d probably not be that worried, most are monitored, good ones won’t let random people in and the amount of crap people (myself included) store makes it a very low odds return rate for the thieves.

munrobiker
    Free Member

So you reckon it’s secure enough as it is?

The storage place does offer insurance, but the monthly rate is about £100 whereas I can get 6 months cover with up to £2,000 cover per bike for £150. The most expensive bike is £3k (although that’s theoretical – it’s my road bike and it’s 10 years old, so my house insurance would only give me £1.5k anyway). Worth the risk for a saving of £450 you reckon?

andy4d

When I used a self store place for a month or two during our move I never bothered with insurance. The place we used was quite secure, cctv, manned entrance etc. Thinking about it now though not sure where we would of stood if the place burnt down with all our stuff in it.

sandwicheater

Have you spoken to you house insurers, likely they can cover as specified items and typically, will be covered away from the home if in a secure/locked building.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So you reckon it’s secure enough as it is?

No idea which one you are using!! The ones I have used were.

munrobiker
    Free Member

mike – whoops! Of course you don’t! It’s a reputable place rather than some yard with a load of containers in it.

Sandwicheater – Pedalcover, who we’re with, have told me they don’t cover it.

Andy4d- the place asks for proof of insurance before they let you take the unit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Self storage insurance and bikes’ is closed to new replies.