Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • self mending forks
  • sugdenr
    Free Member

got some dt swiss 150s, hit tree and couldnt take 15mm axle out without force, no way it was going back in. took off bike and left in corner of house until get round to sending off to be looked at. few months later and got round to it and woah! axle goes right in straight as anything.
    wtf? recon they have stress releived or what? looking them up and down and stanchions and everything look straight.

wiggles
    Free Member

Is your next door neighbour uri geller?
    DT swiss employ secret fork warranty replacement evles?

Plenty of reasonable explainations

andrewh
    Free Member

Or you crashed, bit stressed, probably in pain, high on adrenaline and can’t manage to screw in the fiddley bit. Months later, calm, collected and paying attention you can do it.

JoeG
    Free Member

No,

kevj
    Free Member

Did you treat the thread with lube/ penetrating oil a few months ago?
    Not this thread, obviously, the axle thread?

sugdenr
    Free Member

Or you crashed, bit stressed, probably in pain, high on adrenaline and can’t manage to screw in the fiddley bit. Months later, calm, collected and paying attention you can do it.

Psychosomatic damage? Hmmmm, now there’s a thought

Did you treat the thread with lube/ penetrating oil a few months ago?
    Not this thread, obviously, the axle thread?

Deffo not, it has one of those DT Swisscheese RWS thingies, keep it well lubed or the handle snaps off when you look at it sideways.

Saccades
    Free Member

Is the RWS thing that bad?

About to pull the trigger on 140 twinshots with the 15mm RWS, to replace my RC41F I’ve twisted.

bokonon
    Free Member

Is the corner of the house particularly cold?

sugdenr
    Free Member

New RWS is better, aluminium handles, old style are probably make of bakelite or something.

Have to say however that I think DT forks are brilliant.

bokonon – did cross my mind, but not sufficient temp swing that you’d think would induce stress relief.

Saccades
    Free Member

Ah, was looking at some 2011 150’s but found 2013 140’s in my price range that are a better match to the frame geo.

andrewh
    Free Member

I think bokonon may have n enquiing into whether or not you have a resident ghost…
    Still think my suggestion is the most likely, but you should try leaving other broken components there for a similar amount of time and see what happens

6079smithw
    Free Member

Did you leave the forks under a wire pyramid?
    It’s like if you do that with blunt razors, after a while they become sharp again.
    It’s not because it makes them sharp as such, it’s because it brings in another parralel reality where the razor was sharp.

sugdenr
    Free Member

andrewh – so you think it’ll sort out my iphone I dropped in the bath and is currently in bits? Im thinking santa’s elves what with it being the season.

andrewh
    Free Member

Got to be worth a try. If it doesn’t work we’ll assume my first answer was correct and then I can be all smug about it.

wiggles
    Free Member

If it works you could rent out the corner of your house for people to leave their broken stuff to be magically fixed.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I think its already started, my house is full to top with stuff left around to be magically fixed. Seems they all need piling up in the mystical corner.
    Forget Mojo and Loco and Pace, send your forks to me for natural low cost ju-ju repair, just don’t be in a hurry.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘self mending forks’ is closed to new replies.