• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Self Isolation Question
  • crazyjenkins01

Asking for my other half as I’m sure I saw somewhere rules were different due vaccines.
    She has been pinged by Test and Trace, and told she has to self isolate for 5 days (why only 5?!?!?!). However, she has had both jabs and has for months, and is regularly PCR testing as she is in the care sector.
    So my question is does she still need to isolate for the full time instructed IF her latest test result (tested yesterday) come back negative?

Purely selfishly, not being able to see her this weekend as we’d planned (we don’t live together) is going to hammer my mental health even more than recent events have. She is also having a bit of a time of it right now as well and us getting time together is doing us both a lot of good.

rogermoore

The 5 days thing is due to it being 10 days since the contact with the person who has coronavirus, which was 5 days before they were pinged (I think).

Apparently, no tests negate the need to self-isolate, however I’ve heard anecdotal tales of the phone T&T service saying otherwise?

If by pinged you mean on the app, it’s only advisory – so in essence do what you want legally. Morally speaking it’s a choice for you to make, in your situation I’d be cracking on.

RM.

intheborders
    Free Member

If by pinged you mean on the app, it’s only advisory – so in essence do what you want legally. Morally speaking it’s a choice for you to make, in your situation I’d be cracking on.

Sound advice without knowing the situation of the poster re anyone around him that’s ‘vulnerable’…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I believe 16th August is when being fully vaccinated means you don’t have to self isolate due to contact with a confirmed case.

What’s different biologically/scientifically rather than politically between now and then, I’m not sure.

Drac

Its only 5 days as it’s from the time of contact until notification. The double vaccine rule is not in yet as more younger people still need vaccinated.

crazyjenkins01

Thanks for the 5 day explanation guys. Makes sense now. Was notified from the app (I think, may have been text wasn’t awake when she called me at 6 this morning!)

Thanks for the Link Kryton, I had been looking on the website but couldn’t find a definitive answer.

What I don’t get, is its been 5 days since last ‘contact’, she’s had a work-required PCR test (that I would assume will be negative like all the others!) yet still has to finish the self isolation. So what would be the point of a person like me, who doesn’t have to PCR, getting a test to then still self isolate full term anyway?!?!?

poly
    Free Member

The rules haven’t changed yet.

Whilst she may have both vaccine doses it doesn’t 100% guarantee she won’t get I’ll but most likely relatively minor if she does; and it definitely doesn’t guarantee she won’t pass it on even if she doesn’t get symptoms. None of the tests are 100% at picking up infection – largely because the swabbing process is variable.

I believe the logic behind the planned rule change in August is that by then all adults who wish* to be vaccinated will have had both doses plus the time for second dose to work.

Lots of people are ignoring the self isolation instructions/advice. That doesn’t make it right; but if she/you live alone presumably you are bubbled together. Given the gov want to pass the responsibility for being sensible to us you might want to consider: if you go visit have you been vaccinated? Both doses? More than 14 days ago? That would significantly reduce your personal risk.
    Meeting in her garden would be safer for you than close contact indoors.

If you go visit assume you will pick it up as an asymptomatic carrier – who else will you expose? If you work from home, get shopping before you go etc potentially virtually nobody. If you are a teacher potentially dozens of kids who each will expose a handful more people who are potentially vulnerable. If I was going I would do lateral flow tests every two days for the next two weeks – but always assume a negative tells you nothing, only a positive result should change your behaviour.

*this does ignore a very small number of people who for clinical reasons cannot be vaccinated, and who are likely particularly vulnerable to covid too, but Boris isn’t one for fine detail!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Meeting in her garden would be safer for you than close contact indoors.

Urgh, for God’s sake man. Think of the neighbours 🙂

Drac

Ok.

You have your answer and this is turning into another covid thread so it’s being closed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Self Isolation Question’ is closed to new replies.