• This topic has 38 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Rich.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Self inflating Mat – Camping
  • Rich
    Free Member

If buying a lightweight SIM, do you think the extra comfort of a full length mat is worth an extra 250 grams, or will a 3/4 mat be comfy/warm enough if camping down to around -5 degrees?

A bit vague I know.

:p

tombird
    Free Member

I’d get 3/4.

tombird
    Free Member

It’s the sleeping bag that gives you the warmth

momo

Being just over 6 foot, I bought a full length one, can’t stand having cold toes!

matt_outandabout

tombird – Member

It’s the sleeping bag that gives you the warmth

Not when your expensive down is crushed by your own weight onto a cold tent floor.
    Macpac made a series of bags with no lower down, just a tailored mat that fitted in a pocket along he bottom. Ideal if you are a sleeper that always sleeps on your back.
    I too am 6′ and cannot stand cold feet – so have full length. My old one was 3/4, and I always used rucsac / jacket / etc under my toes, but it was never satisfactory really.

Rich
    Free Member

I already have a regular Alpkit Airic that I could still use if its going to be really cold I suppose, but Im trying to lighten and reduce the size of my load, so was considering a Wee Airic.

If using a 3/4 I would either use my jacket under my feet, or could even pull my feet up onto the mat, especially only being 5′ 7″. 🙂

lister

i’m 5’8″ and have always used a full length, tried a mates 3/4 and just couldn’t see the point in not having a full one…weight and size differences just seemed negligible, especially taking in to account the comfort factor.

druidh
    Free Member

3/4 with something else under the feet. When out hillwalking, I usually carry an inflatable sit-mat with me. The combo works fine when backpacking. Otherwise, it’s clothing, jacket / whatever. I actually prefer to put this at the “head end” and have the mat under my feet. I’m 5’7″ too.

The problem with “pulling your feet onto the mat” is that you tend to move about a lot in your sleep.

Oh – and those Macpac 1/2 sleeping bags are pish. They just don;t retain enough heat unless your someone who always sleeps flat on their back and never moves about.

Rich
    Free Member

So…..what’s the general consensus?

Basically people do either so make my own mind up I suppose! 😆

Peregrine
    Free Member

Wee Airic.

Rich
    Free Member

Peregrine – Member

Wee Airic.

Rich – Member

I already have a regular Alpkit Airic that I could still use if its going to be really cold I suppose, but Im trying to lighten and reduce the size of my load, so was considering a Wee Airic.

That’s the one I’m considering. 🙂

Rich
    Free Member

Well I tried a 3/4 mat out in the garden briefly, and though toasty warm in my bag, I could feel the cold coming straight though my feet, which wasn’t nice.

So I’m thinking maybe this is one area not worth the weight/size saving?

Muke
    Free Member

Go large…Fat Airic 😀

paradigmshift
    Free Member

You could always cut out a length of foam mat for insulation under your feet, if you cut a small enough section it could easily be placed against your back in your backpack as extra padding.

Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve only ever used a 3/4. I’m about 5’9″ and use a selection of clothing inside the sleeping bag stuff sack for a pillow. The mat only really starts at my shoulders with the pillow above so the mat is just the right length.

lister

when i was shopping for a mattress a few years ago I ended up with a full length thermarest…as i said up there^^^

is there a REAL difference in weight and pack size, cos when i was looking it really was a negligible difference in my mind considering the extra comfort???

just wondering if you could save some weight elsewhere if that’s the issue, or do what i ended up doing and transfer the pinot noir into a plastic bottle :-)(it’s amazing what the glass weighs, and how much room the empty bottle takes up!)

boblo
    Free Member

Winter camping often results in condensation/wetness on the inside of the groundsheet of the tent. A full length mat may help stop the foot of your lovely down bag getting damp. Down is next to useless when it get wet.

The new full length Prolite Thermarests are lighter than their previous 3/4 length offerings. I have a ‘Standard’ 3/4 length mat from when they first came out and a recently purchased full length Prolite. They are identical in weight and fit in the same stuffsac. I also have a full length ‘Ultralite’ Thermrest and the new ones are quite a bit lighter than this as well… If you’re comparing with Alpkit, you’ll save significant weight and bulk by going Thermarest Prolite.

If you’re backpacking in winter, buy the full length Prolite (or the Prolite plus if you’re going really cold though these are heavier/bulkier). if you’re car camping, unworried by weight/bulk or on a budget, buy one of the the Thermarest 3/4 length copies .

trail_rat
    Free Member

id buy a 3/4s but from another brand ….

we had a pair of alpkits last us less than 3 weeks before 1 delaminated and the other lasted 3 more days. Used daily mind you. and they are going to refund me when i get back to the uk.

My Kathmandu replacements at the same price have lasted the remaining 3 months no bother and are showing no signs of giving up.

id seriously consider if doing a long epic trip again getting a thermarest(the brand) as many shops pointed out when i was looking for replacements in te anau and queenstown , Thermarest policy is you just have to find a store stocking their product and that store will replace a faulty mat there and then !

cp

i have a 3/4 length mat, and I don’t like it much at all. i’d much rather have the full length. I have tried putting jackets etc… under my legs, but it just isn’t the same as a mat. i also end up with my knees just off the mat, which is amazingly uncomfortable!

thefettler
    Free Member

I’ve gone back to closed cell mats’

the thermarest lasted 11 days into the round oz trip !!

and i got no replacement . not happy.

As far as length, go full, comfort over grams!

snowslave

I’ve got a 3/4 and a full length – prefer the full length personally.

WipeOut
    Free Member

Full length Thermarest. Brilliant.

Rich
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a Vango Trek mat.

It’s full length and only 770grams, which aint bad for the size.

I figured it’s just one less thing to have to fuss about when bedding down, just lie down and done, that is worth 200 grams to me. 🙂

Cant argue with £19, and a lifetime guarantee (for what it’s worth).

nickname
    Free Member

Full length themrarest prolite for me. They were reduced at Field & Trek.

I initially went for a foam rollup mat because it was only £5, but I don’t like having bits tied to the outside of my pack, I’d rather everything inside, hence I went for a prolite after about a year of toying with the idea.

Think you made the right decision in going for a full length 🙂

spooky_b329

Best of both worlds?!

http://www.balloonbed.com/

How do thermarests compare to the standard roll up camping mat in terms of comfort? I woke up several times on a standard mat and the gf and I were both so stiff and aching in the morning we aborted the second day of our bike trip!

nickname
    Free Member

Thermarests are way more comfy than a foam mat, at least for me. If the weathers ok, I can sleep fine on a foam mat, but I sleep better on thermarest 🙂

Rich
    Free Member

Hey nickname (again, thanks for helping on all my camping related threads!),

Do you have the 2.5cm Prolite or the 3.8cm Prolite Plus?

If the 2.5cm one, do you find it thick enough to stop your hips/shoulders digging into the floor?

The 2.5cm Airic I tried seemed a bit thin, but I thought the Thermarests might be a bit thicker/stiffer.

I know the 3.8cm one would be comfier, but hopefully the thinner Thermarest would be thick enough as the weight is amazing (480g for a full length mat!).

Camping down to around -5 btw.

Cheers again.

Rich
    Free Member

Oh yeah, the Vango is going back.

It weighs 940grams on my scales!

How can Vango get away with advertising it as 770grams?!

That’s a fair difference.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Full length Gelert one for me, cost me £10 at their seconds store. Worked perfectly for 4 years so far. Packs well, hardly notice 250g.

nickname
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2.5cm Prolite in regular sizing (at 6’2) – I didn’t have any problems with hips / shoulders digging in. I was comparing it against my foam mat the other day, and on that I did notice hips digging in, so the thermarest is a big improvement in that area.

I was originally after the (orange) Prolite 3 as that’s the one I’ve read reviews on. The one I’ve got is this, which appears to be a newer model.

It’s the same size as the Prolite 3, but thinner material (so the guy in the shop said), so it’s lighter and packs smaller. It still feels very durable.

I also think it would be fine for 4 season. If you need extra warmth then getting a silk liner for your sleeping bag would do the trick, or just wear extra layers.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The thing that swung this for me was the fact that 3/4 does not work with Thermarests amazing chair mod. Possibly the best camp thing I have ever owned. 😀

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I use a full length Thermarest- full length all the way unless you’re a weight weenie

steelfan
    Free Member

Personally I prefer my Exped Downmat 7 DLX. Far warmer and much more comfortable than my Thermarest. Its still pretty light and has its own built in pump. It seems a bit of a faff at first pumping it up but once you get the technique right it only takes a couple of mins. Even though they are not cheap I swear by its warmth and comfort factor.They also do a sythetic fill mat which is a bit cheaper and doesn’t go down to the same temp rating but its not far off the downmat.

Rich
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2.5cm Prolite in regular sizing (at 6’2) – I didn’t have any problems with hips / shoulders digging in. I was comparing it against my foam mat the other day, and on that I did notice hips digging in, so the thermarest is a big improvement in that area.

Do you sleep on your side though?

I nearly always end up on my side after a while as that is my most comfortable position, but also the most likely way to feel the ground through the mat.

Rich
    Free Member

I ordered an Alpkit Slim Airic, to see how 3cm felt, as I weren’t that comfy on a 2.5cm Wee Airic.

It feels perfect, really comfy, it is 250 grams heavier than the Prolite, which does niggle away at me, but I remember how I wasn’t comfy on the Wee Airic of the same thickness and it swings my mind back again.

I do still wonder whether I should get the lighter one though!

But then again, I’ve saved £40.

TenMen
    Free Member

Ray Mears uses a 3/4 Thermarest.

Nuff said.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We use foam mats as they are lighter. I rarely have problems with cold feet and am a restless sleeper s I have a 3/4 one at 5’10”. SWMBO uses a full length one and she is only 5’5″

Personal preference rules

Ewan
    Free Member

I use a 3/4 thermarest (i’m 6ft). Very comfortable – I prefer it to a proper airbed as it gives better support.

No need at all for full length one. Just MTFU.

Rich
    Free Member

Decision is made now and I’m happy, so it’s all good.

🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Self inflating Mat – Camping’ is closed to new replies.