Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Self filming is hard work
  • andeh

Since we had a few days of sun, I thought I’d dig out my GoPro and try a bit of self filming…..which, as it turns out, is knackering.

Anyway, here’s the results. There is quite a bit of “filler” as after a while I got too hot and fed up of running up and down the hill 6 times for a few seconds of footage. Still, I hope you enjoy it, even if it is a little self indulgent 😳

Oh, and this is the first outing of my patented, and highly technical, Stick-cam(TM).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pwa9sJt8Ig[/video]

muddydwarf
    Free Member

😆

Two words..

“dancing lessons” 😛

Actually, i quite like that.

docrobster
    Free Member

Nice vid Andy. Dry too. Where were you filming?
    Ps I recognise those pink gloves from the Aline skills day at parkwood/bolehills/greno the other week… Been doing your purposeful practice?

limkilde
    Free Member

Not bad at all 🙂

Hicksy
    Free Member

I enjoyed that.

andeh

Cheers guys.

Hi Rob, how’s it going? I’ve been doing a bit but until this last week the trails have been impassable, mud and snow and hell and high water.

The trails are just my around my local. Mainly along the Don gorge, near Conisbrough on the outskirts of Doncaster. There’s a few good downhill tracks and cheeky trails along the river.

I didn’t think my dancing was that bad 8)

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Yeah. Nice vid.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Good effort! Love it, especially the song, heard it in the The Darjeeling Ltd. I think. Anyway, great vid!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Awesome soundtrack, always loved that song. Nice vid, well done you.

kayak23

I liked that. It made me smile 😀

I agree though, self filming is knackering and a really long process.
    Here’s one what I done last year at Cannock. Ran out of batteries before the end of the Monkey and must have taken me about 4 hours…

[video]http://vimeo.com/49583087[/video]

andeh

Haha, yeah I heard it on Darjeeling Ltd. originally too 😀

That’s a great vid kayak! You find yourself riding 5 times as far when filming like that, it really takes it out of you.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Haha, yeah I heard it on Darjeeling Ltd. originally too

Great film 😀 Great soundtracks too 🙂

badllama
    Free Member

Totally agree I’ve done a fair bit of filming professionally and for myself it’s a pain in the arse.

To shoot a half decent film yourself you need two days first one to shoot all the on bike/camera footage and do the bloody ride LOL. The second for the side shots shots of yourself and B roll.

I shoot a fair bit of B roll and location and if on your own especially this year with going back to a car from a van is where the F&*k do I put the bike while I’m out lugging sliders, camera and tripods. Still working this one out at present…….

The main thing is you want to enjoy the ride but going back and shooting x shot 3 x just to make sure just kills the bloody enjoyment for me of just getting out on the bike.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Like- I have been thinking about doing something similar to make Friday afternoon ride more interesting, may try tomorrow 🙂

rossi46
    Free Member

Round of applause, good video that 8)

How come you still have your camera? Surely it should have been stolen by some scrag 😆

d45yth
    Free Member

badllama – where the F&*k do I put the bike while I’m out lugging sliders, camera and tripods.

I’d found the same problem…at first I thought all I needed to do was separate filming from riding. The distances are too great to get around on foot or are inaccessible by vehicle though. I’m now trying to do things with a small steadicam, fold-up shoulder stabiliser and a large gorillapod. Anything that doesn’t fit in my bikepack simply doesn’t go. If I need more gear I’ll have to get other folk to help and split the gear between us.

docrobster
    Free Member

Parkwood springs is bone dry Andy, was there this week with my kids as there off school. Off to Sherwood pines tomorrow in search of more dryness. Just watch it per it down now!
    Dud you enter the steel city race in the end?

andeh

Haha, obviously I bolted the camera down before every shot 😳

Was over at wharncliffe on Sunday, I expected a mire but it was lovely and dry with just a puddle or two. Pines will be nice and fast if the weather holds off.

Yeah, I managed to get a space for Steel City. I’ll have to head over for a practice sometime before the day.

johnas7
    Free Member

hoping to get a go pro silver within the next week. Both videos were really good, just wondering, are they hard to edit together and put music on once youve finished videoing?

andeh

I just used the stock Windows Movie Maker, it’s really simple to use. I’ve used Sony Vegas in the past for more complicated edits, but for something like this WMM is just about perfect.

Euro
    Free Member

Love it andeh. The extra effort in the filming and editing was well worth it.

Badlama, sounds like you know what you’re at, anything to show us?

Here’s a short one of the maiden voyage of good ship 456. It was only a little trail (in length and height) so not too much walking about. Was fun to make (WMM here too)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Ds7Uxey90&feature=share&list=UUPvti4d0R4E6J7p8wPSPmaQ[/video]

unklehomered
    Free Member

You can be pleased with that. Wants putting on the short list for next wednesday IMO. No pretense, no slow mo whip ****, no waffle. The sort of riding we all actually do. Very well done sir!

badllama
    Free Member

Euro nothing bike related all commercial at min for web sites etc..

I’ve a big shoot in planning at momment for a in house commercial job planning alone (as I’m mainly shooting in my own time as it’s just something I want to do that may make a little money) will take the rest of the year the shear logistics of shooting “proper” video is frightening if your coming in it from a single video/ DSLR camera and tripod.

BUT we all start somewhere.
    With regards to editing software, Adobe Products are ok, I use Newtek’s Speededit myself. But all you need is software to can make a cut to be honest. The skill is how you cut it 🙂

Anyone intrested in video should read this Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen (Michael Wiese Productions) [Paperback] one of the best £10.00 (currently on Amazon) you will ever spend. 😀

boybiskit
    Free Member

Nice. For those who like that song see if you can hunt down a version of it by Dustin the Turkey. It’s called where do you go to you’re ugly and is hilarious, as are most of his songs…

msjhes2
    Free Member

andeh what is the song in the video?

sv

Is that a Bfe or Soul?

andeh

Sorry, I didn’t see the replies.

The song is…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8XQZYIiNgo[/video]

…and it’s a medium BFe.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I had a go at making one last Friday after being inspired by the OP.
    Warning: I may have added a little too much cheese…..

vid

Trimix
    Free Member

I really like watching vids like these, they are much more like the kind of riding normal mountain bikers do and therefore can relate to.

I often get bored of the giant jumps/gaps/backflips, Alpine / BC scenery etc that are dished out regularly on Midweek movies. It all stuff that looks nice, but its not like we are ever going to backflip off a cliff in Boliva are we.

Watching likeminded folk wizz round their cheeky trails is the sort of thing we can all do and enjoy.

It way more inspiring as its a goal thats acheivable.

I_Ache
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NZwNGlpWGE[/video]

This is my effort from yesterday. It would have been longer if a messed up whip hadn’t broken a couple of ribs and given me mild concussion. The worst thing is the crash was off camera.

Rickos
    Free Member

Nice wee vid, andeh. Stevo from The White Room did this one a while back.

<iframe src=”https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=191277121257&#8243; width=”648″ height=”480″ frameborder=”0″></iframe>

If that doesn’t work, try this –

One of our favourite local trails. Buff singletrack in the woods with some wee techy bits for interest. Finishes right at the front door!

Posted by White Room Mountain Biking on Thursday, October 22, 2009

D0NK

after a while I got too hot and fed up of running up and down the hill 6 times for a few seconds of footage

jesus h christ it’s rare enough for me to stop and take the time to whip a phone out of my pocket to get a pic of a stunning view, no way would I ever have the patience to do something like this, chapeu, I like, as trimix says “real riding” is good to watch.

ndthornton
    Free Member

jesus h christ

Slightly unrelated but does anyone actually know what Jesus’s middle name is??
    Henry?
    Herbert?

D0NK

Harvey

andeh

Well, Jesus was Mexican, so probably Hector.

I’m glad everyone’s getting out and making these films! It’s a really good tool for developing skills too, watching yourself ride and analysing body positions, line choice and such.

I’m planning on heading up to Greno tomorrow so might make another little film.

D0NK
    spacehopper

nice vid 🙂

weird seeing my local trails from someone else’s viewpoint though! 😆

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Self filming is hard work’ is closed to new replies.