Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • self extracting crank bolt 'cap' thread types, thread stripped on mine :(
  • tom84
    Free Member

I have some aerozine road cranks which I have been pretty happy with, they are for external bbs and I usually run shimano ones no issues. They have a fastening arrangement like fsa cranks. but the 10mm socket cap over the 8mm crank bolt exploded in when I took the bike into the shop the other day. the mechanic left it with me to sort out and when I got home I took the cap off my race face cranks (old deus ones) in the hope this would thread in but to no avail. at the moment I am assuming this is simply because it is a different thread/size rather than the thread on the actual axle is farbed as well. So what should I do to get a new cap asap? I ordered one at random on ebay and sent an email to aerozine, but wasn’t prepared to pay their $20 shipping from taiwan (?!)

humble thanks

scotroutes

Superstar used to sell “Aerozine” parts. Might be worth trying them.

tom84
    Free Member

thanks!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Before there were self extracting cranks you used a crank pusher. It would screw into the crank arm using the same threads that the self extractor bits screwed into. Then it would push the crankarm off the axle.
    Most bike shops should have the necessary tools to do this. This should enable you to get the crank off and then you can replace the self extractors without possibly destroying them too if the crank is seized on.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of spare FSA crank bolts if they are the same… Got a pic of what you need? You can have it for nothing if it’s right.

tom84
    Free Member

Thanks very much. Dez, I ordered a fsa road bolt with extractor cap on ebay so I should need to take you up on your generous offer. I had thought of trying the thread on a crank puller, i shall.

DezB
    Free Member

Shouldn’t, I think you mean 🙂
    No worries, they’re sat in my spares box and that’s where they’ll stay

tom84
    Free Member

shouldn’t and hadn’t, slow day. Happy to report that the fsa one did fit and looked good quality from ebay for £4

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘self extracting crank bolt 'cap' thread types, thread stripped on mine :(’ is closed to new replies.