Self employment question

• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by  grum.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Self employment question
  • grum

I have a photography business – registered as a sole trader. If I do some freelance work in another field (music/education), do I need to register another business with HMRC, or can I just out it through the books on the existing one? Ta.

nickjb

As a sole trader you are just you. The company is just a trading name used for marketing, advertising, website, reputation etc. but nothing legal/official. Your tax return will be in your name and you really should invoice as ‘Joe Blogs trading as Blogsy Photography’ (or whatever). That’s how I understand it. I have a couple of trading names for different streams of business but one tax return in my name

Nah, existing business will be fine. Is the photography business VAT registered? If so, you’d have to be charging VAT on whatever you bill now.

Or just do it for cash.*

* I’ve heard some people do this. I, however, have no such experience.

sharkbait

If so, you’d have to be charging VAT on whatever you bill now.

Why should doing a bit of freelance work change his VAT status?

grum

Thanks folks – that’s what I wanted to hear. πŸ™‚

Not VAT registered yet (and don’t do dodgy cash in hand like some kind of cowboy parquet floor fitter).

Why should doing a bit of freelance work change his VAT status?

I didn’t say that it would, or did I? πŸ˜•

johndoh

I think he means he would have to charge VAT if the ‘normal’ business is registered as anything he does for payment will attract it being a sole trader.

Aye johndoh, that was what I meant. Apologies to sharkbait if I wasn’t clear originally.

sharkbait

I didn’t say that it would, or did I?

Actually I’m not sure if you did or not!! Anyhoo, what JD said πŸ™‚

Bunnyhop

Grum – I have 2 business’s and with each one the customer gets invoiced and it goes through the same book keeping process. So not a problem for you.
    http://emmyjane-design.blogspot.co.uk/ Couldn’t pass up the opportunity πŸ™‚

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Self employment question’ is closed to new replies.