Self definition: Who are You?

Home Forum Chat Forum Self definition: Who are You?

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Self definition: Who are You?
  • GNARGNAR

Who am I? Apparently I am someone who posses profound understanding of the rules of stw.com yet I continually flout them, deliberately and consciously. But that’s just GnarGnar.

In the “real” world I am someone who lives and breathes mountain bikes. Everything in my life it seems is geared towards and orientated around biking in the mountains. Where I live, the car I drive, the clothes I wear, the food I eat – biking plays a huge part of my decision making process in all of them. If I could retire tomorrow I’d be happy to live my life doing nothing more than riding my bike and building trails. I am lucky to have found a woman who understands and encourages this.

I have a job which many seem to think is glamorous and interesting but it is in fact mind numbing and I cant help but think it’s a complete waste of my life. I started down my chosen career path in the mistaken belief it was what I wanted to do in life, now Im just going the motion to feed and cloth myself, and obviously to fund my habit.

As the years and the miles roll by, as my riding improves – my hunger to ride continues to grow. The more I ride, the more I progress. The more I progress the more I want to ride. This sometimes manifests itself in my day to day life as a slight (or sometimes total) apathy for things non mtb related or day dreaming about the trails.

Many of my non biking friends have fallen by the wayside as more and more of my free time gets taken up by my hobby. It’s a cliché to say it but I’ve met some truly great friends for life through biking. In many ways, despite maybe not seeing someone for a few weeks or perhaps months I often feel closer to the guys I ride with than people I see every day simply because of the fact we ride together.

If I thought people would accept it or understand it, I’d happily introduce myself in life as just a mountain biker. In my mind, those two words sum up what I am and what I do. I’d be happy if they were carved on my headstone. Perhaps I have some sick desperation in my life that leads me to think like this, or perhaps I am what people might refer to as an adrenaline junkie or a thrill seeker. Or maybe I’ve just found the thing I am supposed to do. Either way I couldn’t imagine life without mountain biking.

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

loddrik – Member

F*ck me, black flag lyrics

Think yourself lucky, it was almost R Kelly (via the Bonnie Prince)…

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Gnar, what’s the job you do that’s meant to be glamorous? (real interest, not being sarky)

alexathome

I’m in the same boat as you Chopper – Where abouts in NZ are you?

Hairychested

Thanks Foxy, she is a bit better – just nicked my “Celebrations” and took the last “Bounty” out of it. I’ll wait till she’s bigger before teling her off for such an awful theft 😉

I’ve just realised most of us here could call themselves homo sapiens.

GNARGNAR

molgrips
    Gnar, what’s the job you do that’s meant to be glamorous?

All round creative type. Often work involves ads or tv. Not glam to me obviously.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Hmm. Being creative would be nice I suppose.

RooleyMoor

I am me. Always have been, always will be.

loddrik

I, in general, hate everybody…

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

i’m a disillusioned thirty-something who should have took to the mountains years ago but now find myself trapped in a life which isn’t bad in the scheme of things but is quite personally unfulfilling. i’m probably too selfish also.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

I’m content to smell the coffee or the flowers. Enjoy what the day brings and deal with it to the best of my ability. Revel in the support and love of my family and friends. Count myself lucky that my second girlfriend was my soulmate and still is. I am aware of my faults and phoibles (what a great word) and moderately tolerant of others habits. Becoming happier every day as the sun shines and the ground dries.

FoxyChick

Well, hairyc…if she’s nickin’ chocs she’s definitely on the mend!! 8)

skibum517

I think the definition of me changes all the time, but there are some constants:
    I am a son, a brother and, a uncle.
    I am fortunate for my friends and family.
    I am an outdoorsmen, for all seasons.
    then there are things I aspire to be…
    I am a Kiteboarder, Surfer, Mountainbiker,Kayaker,and Climber.
    I am a friend of many and enemy of few.

skibum517

oh yeah…I’m also a lesbian trapped in a man’s body

chopperT

Alexathome, despite our best efforts to find work elsewhere, we got sucked into the Auckland trap (right south but). We have plans to escape south (island), but just now you can’t be too choosy I guess.

duntmatter

duntmatter, does it?

flamejob

<Model, Paperboy, Model Builder, Racer, Bike Seller, Surfer, Car restorer, Farmer, Pilot, Entrepreneur, Engineer, Businessman, Bike seller, Designer, Architect<

>Designer, Mountainbike Guide, Husband>

alexathome

@ chopperT hey i’m on the north shore – if your up for a ride sometime let me know! woodhills pretty dull, but the coffee’s good!

user-removed

Thirty five year old late developer. Finally happy 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Self definition: Who are You?’ is closed to new replies.